PDA

View Full Version : Question about on line etiquette

SabreF-86
03-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I just got to the point that I'm ready to try on line, have set up HL and figured out how it works.

Question is, am I required to announce in general chat that I'm interested in joining a game thats running, or do I just jump in, and take what comes? Whats the etiquette on that?

I wouldn't want to barge into what amounts to being a private game.

Sabre

Raptor_20thFG
03-10-2005, 11:59 PM
S` Sabre welcome to the community no you do not have to announce yourself on HL if you want to join in man jump on in if you are not welcome someone will politley tell you in chat or bump you out of a room

Have fun in the friendly skies

Capt.LoneRanger
03-11-2005, 12:32 AM
I guess it's like in real life - of course you can just go somewhere and do whatever you want, but it's always nicer to say "hello" or something, to read and obey the house / server-rules and act chivalry or at least politely as most other people do, too. (Like don't shoot an allready shot down a/c, shoot parachutes, shoot friendlies, etc.)

Oh, something else, if you're new to the online community: "S!" or "S" in any other form means "Salute" - a chivalry gesture to greet you or to say "tough/fair fight", after you shot down an enemy or somebody else downed you.

Blackdog5555
03-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Now you get to learn about Vulching and kill stealing! Dont forget push "print Screen" everytine some one is shooting at you..cheers mate! BD

MEGILE
03-11-2005, 02:22 AM
Don't listen to blackdog, he got owned last night and is a little cranky.
Jump in HL and have some fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SabreF-86
03-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Any suggestions as to which server I should enter? Kill stealing I'm already aware of, Vulching? Was ist Vulching?

Sabre

SabreF-86
03-11-2005, 02:35 AM
PS. I have a tendency to play Blue side most of the time, so the player imbalance should be improved somewhat. Course I expect my life expectency will be measured in milliseconds, so only for a while. (8p)

Sabre

Tully__
03-11-2005, 02:39 AM
HL is divided into a number of rooms. If you click on the text "General Room" (next to the time readout in the middle of the display) you'll get a drop down list showing all the options.

The DF servers in progress are listed in the left column in the General Room. Unless they're passworded, just jump in. Be sure to read the brief and follow any instructions once you're connected.

Any coop starting from the general room or the Cooperative Room can safely be considered public. When things get busy, some hosts will also run public coops from the Team Room too, but always ask before joining anything in Team Room.

As mentioned above, it's good form to say a brief "Hi" to the host when joining public coops, but not essential.

The remaining rooms are all set up for one form or another of formal competition and you'll need to be registered for the competition in question to join. Some of them also require you to be a member of a registered squad.

As with DF's, when joining a coop read the brief carefully. It will usually save you having to ask where the target is once you're in flight.

You'll notice that the coop assembly areas are divided with dark grey slots in the top half and black in the lower half. Some hosts will ask you to join using an upper or lower slot based on which side you intend to fly. This is to avoid the mad scramble for your favourite side once you're in the mission. Most of the competitions have rules about top or bottom being for one side or the other. This makes it much easier to work out whether there are enough registered pilots for each side.

SabreF-86
03-11-2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks Tully!

Sabre

MEGILE
03-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Which server to go on will be determined by the settings which the host has chosen.
Click on a server in the list, and this shall give you a detailed view of the realism settings.
UK-Dedicatd is one of the more popular "externals on" servers. lots of fun to be had in there.
As for "full real" servers (externals off, cockpit on yadda yadda) Zekes vs. Wildcats and GreaterGreen are the most highly populated servers.
Jump into any server and get a feel for the settings you prefer. There is pretty much something for everyone on hyper lobby.

F19_Ob
03-11-2005, 03:26 AM
Hello and welcome sabre.

U will notice that flying with live wingmates and opponents is very challenging and fun.
Since we all are individuals and personalities there may be emotions, good and not so good, thrown in as spice.
Study, but dont dwell on it.

Some tips could be:
1. record tracks so u can see what happened during the session later and learn from it.
U can also see how your deflectionshooting is working and if u need to correct your aim.
Its likely to get killed in the beginning so study how it happened so u can avoid making the same mistakes over and over. For some this can get a bit frustrating, so examining your tracks will get u out of bad habits faster. (my opinion)

2. Learn from the experienced. They will mostly get the upperhand in fights , even in crappy planes but happily even they can make mistakes.

3. Get altitude over your own field, atleast 1000m before u go.

4. A good look around-routine is essential. Often do slow wide turns (saves energy) and look behind, also roll slightly to look below in the process. Experienced will dive far below your tail, where u will have a hard time spotting them, and bounce you.

---------------------------------

Avoid starting or continuing discussions and arguments online.
Questions are ok and u likely will get answers,but as advised by others ; read the briefing so u dont have to ask unnescessary ones.

Remember that some of the experienced have flown for years, perhaps in a few planes only.
They know every trick and should be hard to beat even for other experienced. So give it some time...
Confidence is good but remeber to give credit to others abilities once in a while.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

OldPepper
03-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Sometimes a server will request that you take-off from the taxi-way only and land on the runway. This helps to keep collisions down a bit.

Vulching is when pilots kill you shortly after you spawn. Personally, if I get vulched twice I just leave the server. It's just not fun to be taken out that way, IMO, and some missions don't provide enough AAA at homebases. Vulching is not always frowned upon, since it may just mean the enemy team has pushed the front to your base and earned a few vulches. Like I said, if it happens twice in a row, I prefer to leave as it feels like a waste of time to get vulched a third time.

Also, IMO, FWIW, when I join a server I try to keep the teams even (and try to keep practiced with a few planes from a number of Air Forces (Zeros, P38 47, F4Fs, Spits, Hurricanes, 109s, 190's, Ki's etc.))

Online play can sure be a blast. Enjoy!

dmcland1972
03-11-2005, 11:40 AM
However, capping a field and killing anyone that is dumb enought to try and take off from that field is a perfectly legitimate, strategic tactic. Some choose to call that vulching, they are the same people that keep trying to up from that field over and over again.

Blackdog5555
03-11-2005, 12:19 PM
killing landers is not "illegal" its just not Cricket" or "Marcus of Queensboro" as the Brits like to say. LOL..after all, they are called "Dog Fight" rooms. not "CAP" rooms, or "shoot the moron who is just pulling up his gear" rooms. Lately they should be called Spitfire v Spitfire room. (I do Co-ops). Cheers BD. Still laughing!!

stubby
03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
online is two flavors: lone wolf and flying with buddies. if you fly lone wolf, survive and point ***** because that's the nature of online DF. if you got buds, totally differenet dynamic. it is trully amazing to see the greed of man as five clowns are chasing a lone smoker about 20m off the deck. even more enjoyable is watching the five clowns collide and then hearing them start to ***** at each other about who's fault it was http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Online is fun. Just get out there and start blasting.

corvette93
03-11-2005, 08:09 PM
To increase your skill and survival rate, join a good on line squad. They can teach you a lot and it is better to have a wingman you fly with regularly.

Couple of tips: keep speed up, look around a lot, stay high if a fighter, take a round about route if a bomber.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Servers I suggest:
GreaterGreen
Warbirds_PT_LW
Zeke_vs_Wildcat
War_Clouds_WF

If you like high difficulty settings that is. The severs above generally have respectful people in them. Ones that will offer advice and gladly answer questions you might have. All of them offer a public Teamspeak server you may join if you like.

These are my personal favorite servers. For arcade setting servers you will need input from another source, Im not sure which ones are good.

OH! On weekends be sure to look for Ivan's coops they are a lot of fun and also TS is available. He host under VFC*HOST.

GreyBeast
03-12-2005, 10:46 AM
LOL! Imagine if everyone who "tunes in" to HL at any given time first introduced himself, then politely asked if he could join a game. Jesus, there'd be no time for flying... Just "Hello, my name is...., mind if I join?".

No offence intended, SabreF-86, have fun online!