PDA

View Full Version : trim and speed

hayabusa_1971
09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Hello all. I have been reading some posts on trim and speed.

With new flight model, does trim down make the plane fly faster? From what I have been able to tell, it does...

thanks

hayabusa_1971
09-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Hello all. I have been reading some posts on trim and speed.

With new flight model, does trim down make the plane fly faster? From what I have been able to tell, it does...

thanks

VW-IceFire
09-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Trim down...no...trim in general makes the plane "faster" or rather you get more out of the plane.

If you don't use any trim then at certain speeds you'll be pulling back on the stick to keep the nose up. At other speeds you'll be pushing forward trying to keep the nose from rising. The end result is allot of movement on the control surfaces and overall slightly reduced speed. Use of elevator trim will correct the nose high/low "problem". You need to continue trimming to ensure that the nose is generally level...its a constant thing as you change speeds.

Rudder is adjustable on most planes as well (elevator is almost on all of the planes, rudder on most, ailerons on just a few) to prevent the plane from slipping to one side or the other. Same basic principle...if your plane is slipping then its going to create slightly more drag but mostly its going to make you use the rudder allot more with the same results.

hayabusa_1971
09-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reply...I guess I was wondering about the trim with the slider...I use the buttons for elevator trim....

I love the Ki-43I and it is very light, and against the p-40s I cannot catch up to shoot http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif With trim down, I can gain a few knots of airspeed... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Another question: is it possible to adjust rudder trim if the plane has a ground adjustable tab?

zardozid
09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1

Posted Tue September 18 2007 18:11 Hide Post
Thanks for the reply...I guess I was wondering about the trim with the slider...I use the buttons for elevator trim....

I love the Ki-43I and it is very light, and against the p-40s I cannot catch up to shoot Crying With trim down, I can gain a few knots of airspeed... Thumbs Up

Another question: is it possible to adjust rudder trim if the plane has a ground adjustable tab? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No...

trim is all about reducing drag, optimizing control effectiveness, and minimizing pilot effort (fatigue).

strider1
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi!. Welcome here.
Yes. Setting rudder trim for takeoff is part of the takeoff checklist for certain aircraft (ie: F4U's-3-4 clicks of right rudder). Default keys are "," for left rudder trim and "." for right. "/" returns rudder trim to neutral. Some people map these to their joystick but I find I don't have to use it often enough to justify using up limited switches for that.
On the other hand, I have elevator trim on my stick because it is probably the next most used key to the joystick itself. Every change of speed/attitude changes the forces on the elevator. You should set your trim so you can fly "hands off" at the desired speed and attitude (subject to compensating when you can in a fight---you'll find yourself adjusting trim almost auto when you get experience and a dislike for pressure on the stick). As said above, it will make a difference in your speed but the real beauty is removing the pressure necessary to make your crate do what you want without your hand getting tired/sore from not trimming.
Trim can also be used to tighten up a turn radius to get a shot and pull out of a high speed dive when the elevator has little/lost effect (compressability). Handy in getting over the top of a loop if speed isn't quite enough. Trim is your friend!
It's the details that make the difference. Keep your rad/cowl flaps open enroute to the target/fight to keep your engine cool---close on engagement for reduced drag/more speed, open while extending (when the bad guy isn't in immenent gun solution!), close again on re-merge. Repeat.
Main thing is to have fun!
~S~ and Cheers!
Strider1