PDA

View Full Version : Slip / Slide tutorial vid ?

funkster319
05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Has anyone got a vid / track of a Slip /Slide.

I know in priciple how to do them but I am not sure I am doing it 100% correct. I seem to get a hell of a lot of shudder etc

I take throttle down, then apply rudder and a bit of Aileron in opposite directions to counter the rudder (left rudder,right Aileron for example)

How much should I reduce throttle by? 80%?? 0%??

Should I remain 100% level ?

M_Gunz
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I never heard the word Slide used for this, there is Skids but that's from using too little
rudder in a turn you skid to the outside. Some people might call this a skid too.

Throttle adjustment is not necessary or part of the definition -- you do what you want there.

You bank one way and rudder the opposite is all. The harder you skid is just how hard you skid.

It's a way to make a pursuer think you are turning, by the bank if he's too far away to see your
rudder over to the other side. If the shoot accurately to lead the bank then they'll miss.
A small amount is all you need if they're not right close which if they are it's a daft move,
a barrel roll and exit, split-S perhaps would be much better.

It's a good way to bleed off speed say for setting up landing approach. You could stall but a
skid is safer and better.

You'd want to remain level if throwing off the aim of a pursuit. Losing alt might cue him
that you aren't in fact turning. In the approach, skidding is a good way to lose alt without
gaining speed. So again, that's your call.

OMK_Hand
05-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi Funkster, M_Gunz.

Sideslipping is very useful as a means of slowing down on an otherwise fast landing approach. In this case, you're losing height, sideslipping with the nose pointing along the runway, with the throttle closed until you've slowed to approach speed, and then opened however much it takes to maintain that speed.

That is the thing - how fast you want to be in the slip determines how much the throttle is opened.
You can glide all the time if you want...

Whether you stay level or not depends upon what it is that you are trying to acheive by using the sideslip.

Hope this helps, gotta go to work....

funkster319
05-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Great so basically I am performing it correct. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Yeah I have used it in landing, throwing off deflection and even for formation flying however it is the use of the "slip" as a pure combat manoeuvre that I am really curious about.

I have heard it referenced before as a combat manoeuvre and yesterday I noticed it mentioned in Jayhalls's
"IL Dogfighting" PDF. Which has peaked my interest again.

http://files.filefront.com/IL2+Dogfighting+Final+23pdf/...28713;/fileinfo.html

Quote1:
"In fact, a
signature move of Class 3 is their mastery of the 'slip', that scoots them just off to the side and
eventually onto your six."

Quote2:
"The Slip - As soon as you begin to realize the power of the throttle, try working with it to produce a
'slip' (I have also heard it referred to as a 'slide'). This is done by dropping throttle and turning the
rudder in one direction while applying aileron in the opposite direction (this can also be mixed in with
flaps for even more drastic slides). You may catch up to a Veteran or Master but you will not be able to
hang with them without mastering the slip"

Quote3:
"This is an advanced Intermediate or early level Veteran technique where you
dive slightly under the approaching enemy plane then pull up into a steep climb just about the time you
pass him. At the top of the climb you can roll over or slip out to the side."

And also in the great ACM book - "In Pursuit" ACM in the ACM section / "The Sliceback" Manoeuvre.

Any advice / thoughts ?

STENKA_69.GIAP
05-22-2008, 03:49 AM
If you are trying to do a side slip you balance opposite rudder and alieron (the exact balance varies plane to plane) AND you force down the nose with the stick. In a real plane it takes physical effort to push the stick forwards. If you don't do that the plane seems to float up in the air like a kite. I suspect that balooning up sideways in the gunsight of a chasing plane is not what you want to do?

A well executed side slip should not give a shudder.

If you put on a sideslip while chased by an AI plane he will empty his magasine by the side of you. However a good human pilot is just as likely to kick his rudder and fill your cockpit with cannon shells.

M_Gunz
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
If he's good then he'll see you're not moving to the side you're banked towards.
However I learned about using that from WWSensei who has more experience and training than I do,
in a very real sense.
I prefer other solutions, even the barrel roll.

Sideslip _is_ the word I was looking for. Skid is turning with too little rudder.

Funkster, you do know that when you fly with slip the gunsight does not point at where the
shots will go?

OMK_Hand
05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
A few other quotes illustrating the possibilities...

http://www.vulch.clara.co.uk/manual.html

"In order to check out the blind spot under your wings you need to bank right over to look straight down, this causes the nose to drop and loses altitude. To counteract the loss of altitude you need to pull back on the stick, which produces a turn. So looking under your wings results in a loss of altitude and/or a change of course.
To prevent this, when pushing the stick over put on some opposite rudder to hold the nose up and you can check out your blind spot without any appreciable loss of altitude or course change.
In addition a more aggressive forward slip can be used to lose altitude without any appreciable increase in airspeed. Ideal for those quick landings with an enemy in the circuit.

http://rhinobytes.com/haze/mcguire.htm

ZEKES came in behind this pilot (in a P38 with one engine on fire), but he took evasive action and headed for the nearest cloud. He made it and then, by slipping this plane, smothered the fire. The left engine was entirely burned out and then the right engine began coughing.

http://web.comhem.se/~u85627360/inpursuit.pdf (http://web.comhem.se/%7Eu85627360/inpursuit.pdf)

Skid or sideslip
The skid is a convenient way of shedding altitude without changing direction, and can also be a part of a combat manoeuvre. The ingredients of a skid or sideslip is to keep the nose high, to give full rudder deflection and to counteract the roll with a bit of opposite aileron.
This will increase drag significantly and cause you to rapidly lose altitude and airspeed imagine doing that with a bandit on your tail: odds are high that the rotter will overshoot and set himself up for a snapshot. Note though that the skid robs you of significant energy and isn't really advisable other than as a last-ditch manoeuvre, and preferably when you have some altitude to play with already. Practice making aggressive skids by banking 45 degrees to one side and giving full rudder deflection in the opposite direction, nose high you will drop like a stone. Another way of shedding speed and altitude is to "fishtail": pumping full left and full right rudder alternately with your nose high. The increased drag will decrease your airspeed significantly. This is useful when you're coming in hot on landing or when you're at risk of overshooting (i.e. overtaking) an enemy from his six to his twelve o'clock.