PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Server Costs?

BrewsterPilot
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi!
I am wondering about how much should hosting a dedicated server for IL-2 costs? That is, not having it at home but actually paying for the bandwidth from a company?
I have a friend who has recently started a dedicated server with "enterprise class connection, 100mbps upload/download", and is paying $200 a month the first month (setup fees etc.) and a monthly payment of $100 for the time after that. Is this the normal price range one should expect?
The thing that makes me wonder if my friend is being ripped off is the statement by the company (who owns the bandwidth) that "enabling skin download would use so much bandwidth/storage that my friend would have to pay $500 USD up front and ~$300 USD EXTRA each month to cover it." Surely, that can't be accurate???
So to sum it up, $200 1st month, $100/month thereafter, and to enable skin dl $500 + an extra $300/month thereafter.
If it is indeed overpriced, do you have any cheap & reliable options to recommend instead?

Thanks for any help! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
-BrewsterPilot

BrewsterPilot
05-12-2008, 05:20 AM
No-one have any idea? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Daiichidoku
05-12-2008, 07:01 AM
i know a server that can bve had for 100/mth, with skins on for another 100/mth

cmirko
05-13-2008, 12:46 AM
its relatively easy to sum up the bandwidth used. for a really big DF server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. install it on your machine and test how much BW you would "spend" on one player, with and without skins. After some multiplying you will get the "number" you are looking for in a month long time.

Most gaming servers are leased by bandwidth and ram/cpu.

S!

STENKA_69.GIAP
05-13-2008, 04:31 AM
We pay 140 Swiss francs (=133 US $) a month for space in a commercial data centre. We supply and administer our own server so it can run big co-ops, dedicated or non dedicated dogfights, with skins on and skins off as we please. It also has enough bandwith for our Teampeak server in parralel.

Basicly we are paying for rack space, electricity, 10 Mbit up bandwidth and someone capable of resetting machine or putting a DVD in the drive if asked to by phone.

In the US it should be a bit cheaper.

Try providers in different cities as high speed access to the internet can vary hugely by geography.

So if you are paying $100 a month and they provide configured space on a good performing server, hosted administered and with real 2+ Mbit up bandwidth that's not expensive.

However, if you are on an overcrowded server, figting for 1 mbit bandwidth it's a complete waste and you might as well run it from home.

So first look at the contract to see how much up bandwidth you are paying for.

Second, try out the service for 3 months. You can monitor the reliability and you MUST have real bandwith use statistics to see what you are actualy consuming.

If it is high performance, reliable and hassle free $100 a month is not expensive. If any one of those factors is absent, try somewhere else.

WOLFMondo
05-13-2008, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by STENKA_69.GIAP:
We pay 140 Swiss francs (=133 US $) a month for space in a commercial data centre. We supply and administer our own server so it can run big co-ops, dedicated or non dedicated dogfights, with skins on and skins off as we please. It also has enough bandwith for our Teampeak server in parralel.

Basicly we are paying for rack space, electricity, 10 Mbit up bandwidth and someone capable of resetting machine or putting a DVD in the drive if asked to by phone.

In the US it should be a bit cheaper.

I don't know if it will be cheaper. Allot of datacentres don't allow direct access to server but only via interfaces like GCP, which for most games is fine but for IL2 its not ideal. Worth having a look though but what you have sounds like a good deal.