PDA

View Full Version : British World War II ace dies

Cossack13
06-29-2006, 01:11 PM
George (Grumpy) Unwin, a British World War II Spitfire pilot and Battle of Britain hero, has died at 93.

He suffered a heart attack two days after breaking his hip in a fall, the Mirror said.

The son of a coal miner, he joined the Royal Air Force in 1929, at the age of 16, as a clerk and was selected six years later for pilot training, according to the London Times. As a sergeant pilot in the Battle of Britain he was credited with shooting down 14 enemy aircraft and was awarded the Distinguish Flying Medal with Bar.

He was later commissioned. After the war he was posted first to Iraq as squadron commander and then to Southeast Asia and earned the Distinguished Service Order flying twin-engine Bristol Brigand fighter bombers in ground attacks against Malaysian communist guerrillas. He was promoted to wing commander and made permanent president of courts martial.

He retired from the RAF in 1961.

Cossack13
06-29-2006, 01:11 PM
George (Grumpy) Unwin, a British World War II Spitfire pilot and Battle of Britain hero, has died at 93.

He suffered a heart attack two days after breaking his hip in a fall, the Mirror said.

The son of a coal miner, he joined the Royal Air Force in 1929, at the age of 16, as a clerk and was selected six years later for pilot training, according to the London Times. As a sergeant pilot in the Battle of Britain he was credited with shooting down 14 enemy aircraft and was awarded the Distinguish Flying Medal with Bar.

He was later commissioned. After the war he was posted first to Iraq as squadron commander and then to Southeast Asia and earned the Distinguished Service Order flying twin-engine Bristol Brigand fighter bombers in ground attacks against Malaysian communist guerrillas. He was promoted to wing commander and made permanent president of courts martial.

He retired from the RAF in 1961.

MEGILE
06-29-2006, 01:15 PM
93 is not a bad innings at all.. shame it was a heart attack though.

RIP

danjama
06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
S! to that man! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Lowenherz
06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I salute you, George.

justflyin
06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
R.I.P and thanks for doing your duty so well. ~S~!

He is featured in one of the Ace interviews in Jane's WWII Fighters. I miss that damned museum and all those movies. One of the coolest features EVER in a flight sim.

foxyboy1964
06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
S!

Capt.England
06-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for saving our world from the darkness that nearly cost us all!

S!

|CoB|_Spectre
06-29-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm currently reading Patrick Bishop's "Fly Boys" about the Battle of Britain 1940 in which Sergeant Pilot Unwin's experiences are among those recounted. It was indeed "their time" and these young men, many of whom never had the opportunity to grow old, gave the full measure in defense of King and country. God rest his soul.

VW-IceFire
06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:
93 is not a bad innings at all.. shame it was a heart attack though.

RIP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At 93 its definately a good run. Heart attack is the best way to go. My grandfather lived a long life...died several years ago now...a veteran with the Polish army. He died by a heart attack. His quality of life was pretty good and while we knew things were getting worse the best way for him to have gone was the way he did. He had a full meal...he had a good time out...and he suffered a heart attack and that was it. Better to have a good time, a long life, and go out in 3 seconds than to suffer a protracted ailment.

S! to the pilot. At 93...to have lived as long as he did and having seen what he did is impressive to say the least. Peace.

PBNA-Boosher
06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
S! You did good, George. You did good.

Treetop64
06-29-2006, 07:22 PM
~S~

Go Easy

biggs222
06-29-2006, 07:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
At 93 its definately a good run. Heart attack is the best way to go. My grandfather lived a long life...died several years ago now...a veteran with the Polish army. He died by a heart attack. His quality of life was pretty good and while we knew things were getting worse the best way for him to have gone was the way he did. He had a full meal...he had a good time out...and he suffered a heart attack and that was it. Better to have a good time, a long life, and go out in 3 seconds than to suffer a protracted ailment.

S! to the pilot. At 93...to have lived as long as he did and having seen what he did is impressive to say the least. Peace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

really?.. i thought heart attacks were quite painfull for the few seconds that it lasts... and not all are instant death-bringers.

but i suppose its better then gettign cancer and going through painful treatment and whathaveyou.

anyway, S to him!

rickster3459
06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
May he rest in peace,S! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Lucius_Esox
06-29-2006, 09:25 PM
After reading blackducks post about Nicky Barr dying it's sad to read this as well.

At 90 and 93 though after what they both went through I think the term "full life" is entirely applicable,,, good on em!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif