PDA

View Full Version : Good Finland Russian or Finnish Hurricane Campaigns?

Ba5tard5word
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd like to try one, especially as a Russian pilot since it would mean dealing with planes that were about as fast or slower than it (negating the AI's ridiculousness when they are in faster planes) but I'm not really seeing any on M4T.

There's this Finnish one (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2834) which looks alright though my guess is you have to deal with much faster Russian planes at some point. There's also a Finnish Buffalos v. Russkie Hurricanes that I'll try out, though you fly a Buffalo.

Also where was the Russian field mod Hurricane used, and for what purposes?

moilami2
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Why not try Lowengrin's DCG and chose either Winter War or Russian Pilot in Eastern Front? I have tried both, and naturally it was very interesting since I am from Finland.

Edit: You can chose Hurricane as your plane at least in Winter War straight from the game menu. For Russian pilot you must use DCG's menu to change the planes in the squadron to Hurricanes.

Ba5tard5word
12-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I might do that. I tried using the DCG a while ago but couldn't figure it out, I guess I'll try it again. Is it considered a mod? I guess it is since I don't see it discussed here much.

I've been doing that Finnish Hurricane campaign which is ok but unfortunately UP 2.01's AI mod makes I-16's completely unhittable, once you line up behind them they start weaving back and forth over again, it makes them very hard to hit. Most other planes don't do this with UP. I'd rather do a Russian campaign where opponents would be stuff like Fokkers and Gladiators and Buffalos etc.

moilami2
12-15-2010, 04:06 PM
DCG is a replacement for the default campaign generator. I would not say it is a mod. With DCG you can easily modify and adjust campaigns and missions you fly in campaigns. Also what you destroy matters because ground forces do advance from mission to mission and get even reinforcements. Squadrons can get reinforcements too and you may have to fly understrenght if too many of your planes are shot down. You also have victory conditions so the result of the operation can be very different from what it was in real.

If you want to fly against Gladiators and Brewsters and Fiat G.50, those you will meet in Russian Pilot Winter War campaign, the very first operation. The only minus is that the operation takes place in Winter and so you can't enjoy the beautiful archipelago of Suomenlahti and Järvisuomi!

Edit: In DCG it can take about even 10 missions before the ground war really begins. And strafing trains and supply columns matter! Fokkers you will meet if you change Finnish squadrons to have them. I think they don't have them normally, that is the campaign itself has not been updated for 4.10 patch.

Ba5tard5word
12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Well I'm trying the DCG now, I at least got it to run some missions though it seems to keep running the same mission over and over. There isn't a Winter War campaign listed in the DCG thing, only Finland39 and Finland41. The missions it sets up don't make any sense, they have my waypoints going in really boring long flights that go nowher, and Finnish planes on the other side of the map going back and forth and we never intercept, or if we do it takes forever and it's only if I abandon the waypoints. I've tried generating different missions several times but the waypoints in all of them don't make much sense. I tried setting intercept likelihood to 100% but it doesn't seem to help. Not sure why it won't make new missions when I finish one.

I tried downloading a premade Finland campaign file from the DCG site but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Ba5tard5word
12-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Did the Russians even use the Hurricane in the Continuation War? I was doing some research on the planes used in the Winter War and the CW and I don't remember coming across anything saying it was. Too bad if it wasn't, it's a fun match for Glads, G.50's and Buffalos. The I-16 is ok but I've flown it so much I want to try something else, and I'd feel silly flying something like a LaGG-3 against Gladiators..

Erkki_M
12-16-2010, 02:36 AM
The Gladiator was not used in the Continuation War, nor was the D.XXI (as a fighter).

Winter War was mostly D.XXI and small numbers of J8A and G.50 vs. I-15, I-15bis, I-153, I-16 (in fighters).

Hurricanes did see a lot of action on the Leningrad and Ice Sea fronts in the VVS and Soviet Navy Air Forces.

Hans Wind considered it the easiest opponent of all:

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hi...tTacticsLecture.html (http://www.virtualpilots.fi/hist/WW2History-CaptainWindsAirCombatTacticsLecture.html)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Ba5tard5word
12-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Do you have any more info about the Russian use of Hurricanes around Leningrad against the Finns? What planes would the Finns have been using? Could be cool to make a campaign about that but I'd need a lot of info.