PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Identify This Crashed Aircraft

Banger2004
02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Way back in 1944 this aircraft made a forced landing on the edge of Bodmin Moor, in amongst some VERY inhospitable terrain. The aircraft apparently experienced some major malfunction, as the area is dotted with high tors, boulders the size of cars strewn about everywhere, cairns, and lots of sheep and cattle! Not the ideal place to put down!

From the little info I have, it was night, and the aircraft was I think trying to get to Davidstow airfield, on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor. It came down just on the south east edge of the moor, where the hills start to rise towards 800-900 ft above sea level. It just missed a tor called Sharp Tor, a nasty piece of rock jutting into the sky, and a rather large hill called Stowes Hill. Very fortunate! Had he flown another few hundred yards he might have hit another tor, Kilmar.

The crew survived (3 I think), and although shaken made their way to a lonely hill farm, not far from the crash site. Apparently, on waking the farmer, he reputedly pointed a shot gun at them and told them to 'go away'. How true this is I have no idea. They then continued to another nearby house and recieved proper help and attention.

It was an American Transport carrying plasma and spam, but it looks like it burned on landing. I can't decide how many engines are present. There are clearly 2, but I wonder if there were 4, and perhaps 2 were torn off in the crash (the ground is pretty rough). If 4 engines were present, I thought it might be a Douglas. I have had no luck in tracing the numbers on the fin, perhaps they are incomplete (the locals seem to have stripped the fabric from the control surfaces).

Not much exists at the site today, a bare patch of earth where even hardy moorland grass has not taken, some molten blobs of surprisingly heavy alloy, lots of small, ferrous pieces of debris (nut/bolt sizes), various bits of molten glass, a fuse, some copper wire, and a small piece of aircraft skin with 3 rivets that look like new. All lying on the surface, disturbed only by the grazing animals.

I hope to find out more about the aircraft, especially once it is identified.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Local%20Crash/Crash1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Local%20Crash/Crash2.jpg

Banger2004
02-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Way back in 1944 this aircraft made a forced landing on the edge of Bodmin Moor, in amongst some VERY inhospitable terrain. The aircraft apparently experienced some major malfunction, as the area is dotted with high tors, boulders the size of cars strewn about everywhere, cairns, and lots of sheep and cattle! Not the ideal place to put down!

From the little info I have, it was night, and the aircraft was I think trying to get to Davidstow airfield, on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor. It came down just on the south east edge of the moor, where the hills start to rise towards 800-900 ft above sea level. It just missed a tor called Sharp Tor, a nasty piece of rock jutting into the sky, and a rather large hill called Stowes Hill. Very fortunate! Had he flown another few hundred yards he might have hit another tor, Kilmar.

The crew survived (3 I think), and although shaken made their way to a lonely hill farm, not far from the crash site. Apparently, on waking the farmer, he reputedly pointed a shot gun at them and told them to 'go away'. How true this is I have no idea. They then continued to another nearby house and recieved proper help and attention.

It was an American Transport carrying plasma and spam, but it looks like it burned on landing. I can't decide how many engines are present. There are clearly 2, but I wonder if there were 4, and perhaps 2 were torn off in the crash (the ground is pretty rough). If 4 engines were present, I thought it might be a Douglas. I have had no luck in tracing the numbers on the fin, perhaps they are incomplete (the locals seem to have stripped the fabric from the control surfaces).

Not much exists at the site today, a bare patch of earth where even hardy moorland grass has not taken, some molten blobs of surprisingly heavy alloy, lots of small, ferrous pieces of debris (nut/bolt sizes), various bits of molten glass, a fuse, some copper wire, and a small piece of aircraft skin with 3 rivets that look like new. All lying on the surface, disturbed only by the grazing animals.

I hope to find out more about the aircraft, especially once it is identified.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Local%20Crash/Crash1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/Banger2004/Local%20Crash/Crash2.jpg

GuNzABlaZiN
02-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Tail looks like a C-54, it had 4 engines.

Banger2004
02-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks GuNzABlaZiN, was wondering if that is a motor just inboard of the right hand one, or part of the fuselage. If it is a motor then you are spot on. By the way, that tail also looks very Boeing to me, did the 2 companies use similiar aircraft parts to streamline manufacturing?

On looking at a picture of a C-54 just now, I notice the intakes on top of the engine cowling/fairing. Reckon you are right.

Banger2004
02-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the pic ARCHIE_CALVERT, good one.

Sergio_101
02-07-2006, 05:50 PM
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19441018-2

USAF 42-72249 Douglas C-54A-15-DC

Crashed near RAF St Mawgan

various sites say no fatalities.

Sergio