PDA

View Full Version : Will the AI use BnZ tactics?

perioikos
05-19-2004, 07:50 AM
This may've been asked already, but I'm not getting results from forum searches:

What sort of AI improvements will we see in PF.

It'd seem a shame if Corsairs and such tried to turn fight at low speeds.

Also, will seriously damaged planes try to disengage (assuming that they're not in the middle of a bombing or kamikazi run) ... I realize that this is already implemented in FB, but I'm still seeing planes trailing smoke(and even the occassional odd burning plane) manuevering to take shots. From what I've read, getting hit in combat was not uncommon (it was even expected), but if the plane is smoking or missing important parts, I wonder how many pilots wouldn't have tried to save themselves.

Another idea might be to have defined combat zones ... kinda like the front lines available in FB, except governed by restrictions such as fly/no-fly, altitude, ect.

And one more thing (I should test this myself ... but in case someone already knows), will AI pursue beyond the range of their fuel. This is to say, will the ai chase an e/ac beyond a point at which they won't have the fuel to return?

perioikos
05-19-2004, 07:50 AM
This may've been asked already, but I'm not getting results from forum searches:

What sort of AI improvements will we see in PF.

It'd seem a shame if Corsairs and such tried to turn fight at low speeds.

Also, will seriously damaged planes try to disengage (assuming that they're not in the middle of a bombing or kamikazi run) ... I realize that this is already implemented in FB, but I'm still seeing planes trailing smoke(and even the occassional odd burning plane) manuevering to take shots. From what I've read, getting hit in combat was not uncommon (it was even expected), but if the plane is smoking or missing important parts, I wonder how many pilots wouldn't have tried to save themselves.

Another idea might be to have defined combat zones ... kinda like the front lines available in FB, except governed by restrictions such as fly/no-fly, altitude, ect.

And one more thing (I should test this myself ... but in case someone already knows), will AI pursue beyond the range of their fuel. This is to say, will the ai chase an e/ac beyond a point at which they won't have the fuel to return?

Yellonet
05-20-2004, 04:59 AM
In AEP some AI planes do indeed BnZ.

- Yellonet

tigerroach
05-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Indeed, my AI squadron-mates flying bf109f's b&z in some situations, like when the target is a bomber.

perioikos
05-20-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree that the AI-routines are evolving, and for the better; however, my AI-squadmates regularly get their * handed back to them by much slower turn-fighting ac. If they would just try to hold on to their altitude and speed a bit more, they'd come out in better shape. Playing wing-man to these guys can be very frustating.

I guess that I was just looking for a bit of reassurance.