PDA

View Full Version : cant get my pitch together

stugumby
08-26-2006, 05:19 PM
having a terrible time trying to fly online, once in the air i cant kreep up etc, i read the airwarfare guide and need some help, is there a guide anywhere that has suggested key mapping and pitch settings by type??

fw and me109 seem to do ok with auto pitch but hellcat and corsair barely stay in the air at 60% full throttle, auto rich under 1500 ft.

help please

XyZspineZyX
08-26-2006, 05:24 PM
What pitch percentage are you using? If you have 0% pitch its like trying to turn paddles through the air. Try fine(100%) and see how it turns out.

MaxMhz
08-26-2006, 05:38 PM
there's a lot said about proppitch already - just lemme say that it's next to impossible to make a guide by type for it. You will hardly need anything more than automatic or 100% setting anyway. It's FAR more important you trim your plane right. If you need to fiddle with prop pitch to "creep up" on another plane I think you're doing something not quite right.

VW-IceFire
08-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by stugumby:
having a terrible time trying to fly online, once in the air i cant kreep up etc, i read the airwarfare guide and need some help, is there a guide anywhere that has suggested key mapping and pitch settings by type??

fw and me109 seem to do ok with auto pitch but hellcat and corsair barely stay in the air at 60% full throttle, auto rich under 1500 ft.

help please
Leave fuel mix at 100% for most American aircraft...and leave the prop pitch at 100% as well. Most fighters in the game use a CSP device on their engines so the prop pitch is automatically managed. What prop pitch controls do on those planes is limit RPM. Limiting RPM can be useful for long distance flights (basically flying in a straight line) or cooling the engine more rapidly...but overall I recommend leaving it at 100% when fighting.

The Bf109 and FW190 also have automatic systems although they work differently.

stugumby
08-27-2006, 08:08 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

thats whats got me so confused, on some planes hitting the mapped key gets me an answer on others it does nothing. example, thunderbolt, set prop to 100% by hitting shift0 and nothing but when tapping decrease pitch it moved so obviously already at 100%.never did say auto

did same thing in bf 109 and got auto response, did in spitfire mkv and no response.

magnetos did the change key and it had 3 choices, so do i need 2 keys mapped?

this is the kind of stuff, was in coop and asked what pitch in fw to keep up, had no response on fuel mixture keys, so others said prop 55% in climb and bammo engine didnt last long.

enough to drive on slightly bonkers

guess all are different, but i made some quicky cards and taped them to monitor.

NonWonderDog
08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
In most planes, you don't really need to use anything but 100% RPM. Anything less will give less power, less fuel consumption, less heat, and less aerodynamic drag. You should use about 80% RPM and 85% throttle for combat cruise, 60% RPM and 65% throttle for economy cruise, and 100% RPM for climb and dogfighting. If your engine dies, use "0% pitch." You can try reducing RPM in a dive to reduce drag... but you would NEVER do anything of the sort in real life without cutting the throttle first.

The only planes with a switch between "Auto" and "Manual" pitch are the Bf-109 and the FW-190. The automatic system in both will always try to choose the most fuel-efficient pitch for whatever throttle setting you've set. As a side effect, the automatic system tries its hardest to keep you from slowing down when you pull back the throttle.

For landing, then, you should use "Manual" mode. Manual control in the FW-190 works almost exactly like the constant speed prop units in nearly every other plane. (The difference is that max RPM is only 90% -- pushing it to 100% RPM under power overspeeds the engine and gives you almost no extra power.) The Bf-109 manual mode is a direct pitch control -- you have to control the angle of the blades directly. This means that you have to choose the correct pitch setting depending on airspeed; setting 100% pitch at any speed greater than ~200 km/h will destroy the engine almost immediately!

When landing in the FW-190, just reduce the throttle to ~30% and switch to 100% RPM. Failure to do the second step will cause the propeller blades to go full coarse when you cut the throttle -- the least draggy position. Once you're over the runway, cut the throttle to zero and pull back on the stick in time with the loss in speed. You should loose altitude slowly; the plane should gently settle down on all three wheels. Try to land on the first third of the runway, but don't try to land right on the threashold. You don't need much room at all with a three-point landing anyway.

Landing the Bf-109 is more hands-on. You have to switch to manual pitch (start at 65%!) and manually keep the RPMs around 2400(max RPM varies by type). You should get to 100% pitch near the runway threashold, using 30% throttle or so. Once you do, bring it in for a 3-point landing just like in the FW-190 or any other plane.

It's possible to land in auto pitch mode, and many people do, but you have to execute a wheel landing. This is easier to learn, but ulimately riskier. If you're slightly too fast you'll bounce into the air when you touch the ground; if you're slightly too slow the plane will rotate back on landing, increase the angle of attack and, due to the slats, throw you back into the air to promptly stall and crash; if you're far too slow you'll drop a wing and crash; and once you're on the ground any heavy braking will cause you to propstrike and crash. Most of the FW-190 and Bf-109 landing complaints on these forums through the years ("the plane won't slow down!","the plane crashes when I use the brakes") are at least partially due to landing in automatic pitch mode. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

American and German planes have automatic mixture controls. The American planes have pilot-adjustable systems with a few different modes: off, auto lean, auto rich, and full rich. In real life you could override things, but we can't in the sim. In fact, the only settings most American planes in the sim have are auto rich ("100%") and full rich ("120%"). Just leave it at 100% for everything. Full rich can be used to cool the engine during low altitude dogfights and during takeoff and landing... but I don't know if it actually has this effect in the sim.

The German automatic mixture settings can't be influenced by the pilot in the sim. I have no idea what kind of manual control might have been available in real life, but we don't have one.

If a plane has manual mixture control, there's still not much you have to do. Use 100%/120% for takeoff, 100% for dogfights, 60% for cruise, and 80% or 60% at high altitude. If your engine chokes at high altitude, reduce the mixture.

Magnetos are useless in the sim. You don't need to bind a key. In real life there are two magentos (and two sets of spark plugs) for redundancy. Both are checked individually before takeoff, and then set to combined mode for greatest power. If the engine acts up in the air, you can try switching magnetos to get rid of the shudders before immediately landing. You will NEVER fix ANYTHING by switching magnetos in the sim, so just ignore the option.

Make sure not to forget about supercharger stages. Almost every plane in the sim has more than one supercharger gear setting, but several of them (most American planes, Bf-109, FW-190) use automatic gear switching. In other planes, you have to switch to the second stage above ~3,000 meters or you'll lose a lot of power. The second supercharger stage compresses air more -- it can maintain boost pressure at much higher altitude. Choosing the second stage at low altitude is a no-no. In real life this would overboost the engine and destroy it, but in the sim it just destroys the engine. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mortoma1958
08-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Everybody makes such a big deal about prop pitch regarding this sim but I've never found it makes enough difference to worry about. I leave my pitch set at 100% no matter how high I'm flying. Always seems to give me the best speed. In real life flying, this would not be true but the game does not model the effects of prop pitch very well.

Now the effects of superchargers and mixture settings are modeled very well in game. And you must stay on top of those two in most planes except American and German.

mortoma1958
08-27-2006, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NonWonderDog:

Landing the Bf-109 is more hands-on. You have to switch to manual pitch (start at 65%!) and manually keep the RPMs around 2400(max RPM varies by type). You should get to 100% pitch near the runway threashold, using 30% throttle or so. Once you do, bring it in for a 3-point landing just like in the FW-190 or any other plane.

It's possible to land in auto pitch mode, and many people do, but you have to execute a wheel landing. This is easier to learn, but ulimately riskier. If you're slightly too fast you'll bounce into the air when you touch the ground; if you're slightly too slow the plane will rotate back on landing, increase the angle of attack and, due to the slats, throw you back into the air to promptly stall and crash; if you're far too slow you'll drop a wing and crash; and once you're on the ground any heavy braking will cause you to propstrike and crash. Most of the FW-190 and Bf-109 landing complaints on these forums through the years ("the plane won't slow down!","the plane crashes when I use the brakes") are at least partially due to landing in automatic pitch mode. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif [QUOTE]

Hmmmmmmm, I never use anything but auto prop in a 109 and never have any trouble landing, same as any bird I fly and I can three point it most every time too!! Don't understand the problem you are talking about when landing it in auto. It's perfectly controllable in auto during landing. I have no idea why you say people have trouble slowing down in auto pitch mode in 109 or 190. Drop the gear, then the flaps and they slow down just great. My touch down speed in a 109 is about 190KpH after an approach of 200 or 210. Always in auto mode, never any problems!!

NonWonderDog
08-27-2006, 10:18 AM
No, in real life you will get the best speed at 100% RPM no matter how high you're flying. RPM control in CSP-equipped planes is adjusted for cruise, NOT max speed.

I believe the Kommandogeraet may or may not at one point have had a landing mode that maintains max RPM regardless of throttle. If it did, we don't have it. If it didn't, I would be VERY surprised if landing in manual mode wasn't SOP.

The Bf-109 and FW-190 have been made draggier in auto pitch at low power in one of the early patches after too many people complained about landing issues. This is the only conspiracy theory I currently subscribe to, but I really do think this one was changed due to whining. It should be VERY difficult to pull off a three-point landing at coarse pitch. It used to be before FB.

In any case, it's much easier to land if you come in with power on and high drag. You can keep more power at 100% RPM than you can at the much less draggy 45% RPM chosen by the Kommandogeraet. It's thus easier to perform a three-point landing on manual pitch.

mortoma1958
08-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by NonWonderDog:
No, in real life you will get the best speed at 100% RPM no matter how high you're flying. RPM control in CSP-equipped planes is adjusted for cruise, NOT max speed.

I believe the Kommandogeraet may or may not at one point have had a landing mode that maintains max RPM regardless of throttle. If it did, we don't have it. If it didn't, I would be VERY surprised if landing in manual mode wasn't SOP. Yea, you may be right, I have only a few hours in complex aircraft and my PPL training did not cover CSP stuff much. They only gloss over it in PPL training. I've flown a Bonanza and Cardinal before but not enough to be a big deal.

NonWonderDog
08-27-2006, 10:34 AM
I'd usually defer because I haven't achieved a PPL yet (school takes priority), but I'm studying aerospace engineering and I've been hanging around old farts at the airport since I was 5. You pick up a few things. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Cardinals are nice planes, though. My grandfather owns a red C-177B he flys out of Alton.

mortoma1958
08-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Hmmm, I have flown 109s and 190s in all patches dating back to the original IL2. Still I always landed in auto pitch and never had any trouble.
they never seems harder to land than anything else I've flown. But maybe I'm just talanted at landings?? I dunno.