PDA

View Full Version : I'm amazed-new widescreen

horseback
05-21-2006, 01:19 PM
It's tax refund time, and I've been doing due diligence, looking at widescreen monitors and LCDs for an enhanced Il-2 experience.

I had about $600 budgeted for my new monitor, so I was taking a very close look at the 20 inch Viewsonic VX2025wd and the Samsung and Gateway 21" LCDs, which also allowed for HDTV quality component video inputs to go with DVI and VGA. I had been toying with the possiblity of making the widescreen my HDTV monitor as well.

To make a long story short, I opened the local computer specialty magizine last week, and one of the ads was for an Olevia 26 inch LCD TV (LT26HVX) with 1600:1 contrast, an 8mS response time, component HDTV video, coax, S-video, VGA, DVI, and the ability to switch easily between inputs.

The asking price was $580, or $20 less than the best price for the 21 inch Gateway monitor.

I went to see the TV, was impressed, and went home to sleep on it. Next day, I went back and bought it.

After the better part of a week with it set up, I am still AMAZED at the picture and the detail in FB/PF.

It's by far the best thing for the game since TrackIR -- okay, it's a few times more expensive, but it is literally something you have to see to believe & appreciate.

I have a widescreen (that means an extra 15 or more degrees of horizontal view at the expense of 5 degrees of vertical view) picture with everything as large and detailed in Wide View that I used to get in Gunsight View on my 19 inch CRT. It's so much closer to being in the cockpit than I could ever have imagined.

But wait! There's more! I can connect it directly to my Cable box, HD receiver or antenna cable via component, S-video, and coax cable as well as my DVI connection to my computer all at the same time, and switch between them in seconds with the remote without a problem or interference from any other input.

It's an incredible computer monitor and multi input TV all at once. "Why Honeybun, this means we won't need that TV for the den too. This will allow us to have both a TV and a computer monitor in one screen. How cost-effective is that?"

All I can say is, keep your eyes open and start prepping the spouse or parents now.

I am such a happy boy.

cheers

horseback

Wilburnator
05-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by horseback:
I have a widescreen (that means an extra 15 or more degrees of horizontal view at the expense of 5 degrees of vertical view)

I thought this was so when I picked up a 30 inch widescreen t.v. for use with FB, however it's been demostrated on these forums many times that this is not the case. You gain no horizontal view at all, you only lose vertical view. The picture is cropped top and bottom to fit the screen and that's it. You can easily see for yourself by examining side by side cockpit screenshots of the same aircraft, in both normal 4:3 aspect ratio and 16:9, or whatever you're using. However, I still use this cropped view because it enlages the image, making everything easier to see. It's a trade off I'm happy to make. Particularly if you have Track IR, you won't be hampered much by the loss of vertical field of view.

VFS-22_SPaRX
05-21-2006, 03:40 PM
I have had this LCD TV as well for about 6 months now. Actually, I am just bought my second one about 2 weeks ago. The first one I bought was an earlier model that only had a 12ms response time as apposed to the new model that has an 8ms response time. I was happy with my orginal purchase, but there was some ghosting. It wasnt horrible ghosting, so I could live with it. Now enters the new model wth 8ms response, and I am extremely happy with this LCD. No noticable ghosting, crisp and vivid colors, great contrast, and more. The new model is definatly a winner. And at ~500-550$ US street value, its a good bargin as well.

There are other things that I see as advantages of using a LCD TV over a LCD Monitor.

1. Native resolution. LCD TVs are typically 1280x768. This resolution will not over tax your video card as apposed to an LCD monitors typical resolution of 1680x1050. Try running FB in 1600x1200 on a CRT to see what I mean. I know there are going to be people that chime in and say they can run 1600x1200, maxed gfx, and perfect water with no problems. Lemme tell you I have my doubts.

2. Response times on LCD tvs are more stable. Meaning across the color spectrum, an LCD will have a more consistant response time. LCD monitors do not until you get into some VERY GOOD monitors. Some LCD monitors will at points in the color spectrum have response times as high as 30ms. LCD TVs do not typically do this. LCD TVs need to be able to hand full motion video, thats what TVs do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

3. You typically are getting more for you money with and LCD tv over an LCD monitor.

4. Its just DAMN cool to be looking at a 26" screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I would say without a doubt, if anyone is thinking of purchasing this particular LCD, do it. You will not be sorry.

thought i would add this little teaser

http://www.war-clouds.com/screenshots/lcd1small.jpg

money_money
05-21-2006, 03:43 PM
what kind of Res. do u get on that?

<3 $

*edit, disregard that.

FoolTrottel
05-21-2006, 03:48 PM
thought i would add this little teaser

LOL, Perfect teaser it is .... can't get the full picture....
my monitor's too small... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
05-21-2006, 03:48 PM
resized the picture, hahah forgot what resolution i shot that picture in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

VFS-22_SPaRX
05-21-2006, 03:49 PM
money,

The TVs native resolution for TV is 1366x768, For PC its 1280x768

VFS-22_SPaRX
05-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Wilburnator:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
I have a widescreen (that means an extra 15 or more degrees of horizontal view at the expense of 5 degrees of vertical view)

I thought this was so when I picked up a 30 inch widescreen t.v. for use with FB, however it's been demostrated on these forums many times that this is not the case. You gain no horizontal view at all, you only lose vertical view. The picture is cropped top and bottom to fit the screen and that's it. You can easily see for yourself by examining side by side cockpit screenshots of the same aircraft, in both normal 4:3 aspect ratio and 16:9, or whatever you're using. However, I still use this cropped view because it enlages the image, making everything easier to see. It's a trade off I'm happy to make. Particularly if you have Track IR, you won't be hampered much by the loss of vertical field of view. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wilburnator is correct here horseback. You gain nothing in your FOV, you actually lose. But to me the loss of a little on the top and bottom does not even come close to the gains you get with using this monitor. Here is a little screenshot I worked up to show the difference in the FOV for someone that is thinking of getting one of these monitors.

http://www.war-clouds.com/screenshots/comparesmall.jpg

But as wilburnator said, Trackir pretty much takes care of the lost for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FoolTrottel
05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
resized the picture, hahah forgot what resolution i shot that picture in

That's better, Thanks!

Taylortony
05-21-2006, 07:26 PM
If you ever buy the Dell w2600 anyone, be careful it has power supply issues.............

horseback
05-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by VFS-22_SPaRX:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilburnator:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:

I thought this was so when I picked up a 30 inch widescreen t.v. for use with FB, however it's been demostrated on these forums many times that this is not the case. You gain no horizontal view at all, you only lose vertical view. The picture is cropped top and bottom to fit the screen and that's it. You can easily see for yourself by examining side by side cockpit screenshots of the same aircraft, in both normal 4:3 aspect ratio and 16:9, or whatever you're using. However, I still use this cropped view because it enlages the image, making everything easier to see. It's a trade off I'm happy to make. Particularly if you have Track IR, you won't be hampered much by the loss of vertical field of view. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wilburnator is correct here horseback. You gain nothing in your FOV, you actually lose. But to me the loss of a little on the top and bottom does not even come close to the gains you get with using this monitor. Here is a little screenshot I worked up to show the difference in the FOV for someone that is thinking of getting one of these monitors.

http://www.war-clouds.com/screenshots/comparesmall.jpg

But as wilburnator said, Trackir pretty much takes care of the lost for you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, it still looks to me as though I am getting a little extra on both sides. As a straight line measurement, it's about two and a half inches on each side. The screen is approx 13" high by 22.5" wide.

I'm running 1280x720 @ 60Hz (my 'base model' 6800 won't let me try anything higher, even tho the TV's manual says that it will run at 1280x763 in monitor mode), and just looking at the two shots in your examples compared to what I get, with the gunsight centered, I can see the right side canopy frame and the whole right front windshield quarterpanel as well as most of the left one. There is some clipping in the vertical, but not as much as in the example shown.

Also, the map is now sited about two inches farther over to the left on the screen, and attempts to move it (or the cursor) to the edge of the screen result in 'clipping' of the map image at the two inch line. When flying through clouds, there's a slight difference in the 'extra' section; it's just a slightly different shade of grey.

When I originally tried to set it up for a widescreen effect, I forgot to set a line in the config file and got the standard 4:3 picture. My config now looks like this:

[window]
width=1280
height=720
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

I think the SaveAspect line was the problem child. Also, 1280x720 is exactly 16:9, whereas 1280x763 is closer to 32:19, which may be the source of the pronounced 'clipping effect' others may be experiencing.

Either way, I'm enormously pleased with it.

cheers

horseback

bluedragon1950
05-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I purchased an Olevia 32" LCD three weeks ago at
MicroCenter for $745 with all rebates. I would never go back to play FB/PF on 19" LCD again. I run the game in 1280 x 720 resolution.

Aviar
05-22-2006, 08:08 AM
For anyone interested, you can get the 27" model (as a free upgrade) for the same price as the 26":

http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SYNLT26HVX

Aviar