PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell Essentials & Conviction

Isanator
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
2 years ago I played Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on x-box. Loved it, never beat it though, and wondered away from it. Half a year later I buy it on Steam, and beat it, and it by far was one of the best games I ever played. I wanted to buy the sequel too it (double agent) and did so, and beat it.

I was then shopping around at game stop, and saw Splinter Cell Essentials for the PSP, so I picked it up and bought it. I played threw the graveyard mission (first one lol) and havn't played it sense. I just recently bought Splinter Cell 1 and Pandora Tomorrow, and beat those early this month. I then decided to, since I just beat those first 2, to play threw the rest of the series once more. Beat Chaos Theory Yesterday, and beat Double Agent again about 10 minutes ago.

So, doing so, I wanted to beat Essentials since I just played threw every game and havn't beaten that one yet.

If anyone has played it, does it fill in the gap between Double Agent and Conviction? All I know is most of the levels are "flashbacks" of your previous mission. I mainly wanted to play it for 1. For the fact I beat it and 2. To see where Double Agent left off.

If it doesn't fill in the gap between Conviction and DA, I probably won't play it. So, has anyone beaten Essentials and know if it fills in the gap/gives any vital story information?

R0NI_S
02-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I never played it but I hear it's canon. It clears on what happened to Lambert too.

But I never heard anyone from Ubisoft itself confirming or denying it.

J Saint777
02-22-2010, 07:15 AM
The game is definitely not canon. Many of the actions that happen in Essentials directly contradict what happened in the OTHER 2 versions of the story. Unless you just need to know everything Splinter Cell (like I did), I'd avoid playing it. It'll just confuse you, and frankly, the gameplay sucks.

BIAk_SHREDIT
02-22-2010, 05:58 PM
In essentials, Lambert dies and Sam is taken into custody and escapes. This contradics the ending on the original xbox and 2 of the 3 endings of the 360 version.

Plus, I believe a majority of the forum is leaning towards Lambert being alive (myself included).

Add to it several other small inconsistancies (which is easily explained by the fact that the game is basicly Sam recalling things from memory, but still...) and I seriously doubt SCE is cannon.
The game isn't that great to begin with, but it's nice to have portable SC...

Xx_Redex_xX
02-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Director Williams.

Enough said. To bad the main focus point in Conviction seems to be nearly 100% focused on Sarah.

J Saint777
02-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Xx_Redex_xX:
Director Williams.

Enough said. To bad the main focus point in Conviction seems to be nearly 100% focused on Sarah.

If you want Williams you're better off playing DA on the original box.

Xx_Redex_xX
02-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by JSaint777:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xx_Redex_xX:
Director Williams.

If you want Williams you're better off playing DA on the original box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only played the nextgen version of DA whats his involvement in the original xbox's story?

I was referring to the end of SC: Essentials canon or not it explained a ton and I feel that whole area of which could of been a great story got brushed under the mat.

J Saint777
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Xx_Redex_xX:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSaint777:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xx_Redex_xX:
Director Williams.

If you want Williams you're better off playing DA on the original box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I only played the nextgen version of DA whats his involvement in the original xbox's story?

I was referring to the end of SC: Essentials canon or not it explained a ton and I feel that whole area of which could of been a great story got brushed under the mat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Basically the whole story plays out as Sam talks to Williams on a phone. Other than Emile, he's the primary antagonist. He's always at Lambert's throat about risking too much for the mission, and doesn't hesitate to bring up Sarah's death, or Lambert's death (or not. We actually know for sure whether or not he lives).

Overall it's a much better story which fills in every plot whole in the 360 version and has characters you can actually start to care about. Enrica is much more than just eye candy, for example.

Xx_Redex_xX
02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah that does sound very interesting, i'll be pretty disappointed if hes not at least mentioned in Conviction. It seems like they built up a lot around him and then once the game went back to the drawing board it became fully indulged in telling the story about Sarah's death not being accidental and Tom Reeds corruption within Third Echelon.

SCSHADE
02-23-2010, 07:36 AM
The game is cannon so far. It's stated that it happens AFTER Double Agent and sort of closes that Williams deal opening up what he was capable of doing and how Grim risked her life alongside Reeding to protect Sam from Williams' doing. So, Conviction is not the first time that we'll see Grim going through great lengths for the better good.

Essentials also gives some nice flashbacks concerning Sam's story and so far including his tme in the Navy SEALs alongside Shetland, since the game is considered cannon, Lambert was killed, or so Sam tells us. Seeing how things are in Third Echelon, Lambert's death could've happen or maybe (and this is just me) was all part of a bigger ruse or Sam was lying to keep Lambert alive. I don't know. The novel also tells us that Sam actually killed Lambert, but Conviction will have the final word on this issue.

Sarah's death however... is something else. The fact that he never saw er die or was at the funeral gives us something to be on the lookout.

I admit that although the gameplay was really hard to get used to, I liked the story. I think with a little more work, Essentials could make a good console game.

R0NI_S
02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by SCSHADE:
The game is cannon so far. It's stated that it happens AFTER Double Agent and sort of closes that Williams deal opening up what he was capable of doing and how Grim risked her life alongside Reeding to protect Sam from Williams' doing. So, Conviction is not the first time that we'll see Grim going through great lengths for the better good.

Essentials also gives some nice flashbacks concerning Sam's story and so far including his tme in the Navy SEALs alongside Shetland, since the game is considered cannon, Lambert was killed, or so Sam tells us. Seeing how things are in Third Echelon, Lambert's death could've happen or maybe (and this is just me) was all part of a bigger ruse or Sam was lying to keep Lambert alive. I don't know. The novel also tells us that Sam actually killed Lambert, but Conviction will have the final word on this issue.

Sarah's death however... is something else. The fact that he never saw er die or was at the funeral gives us something to be on the lookout.

I admit that although the gameplay was really hard to get used to, I liked the story. I think with a little more work, Essentials could make a good console game.

Perhaps Conviction's gameplay would fit it? Seen it has a lot of mission with Sam as a soldier, right?

drunkrepublican
02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
It isn't canon. In Essentials, Sam is a fugitive from the government immeadiatley after the events of Double Agent. In ConViction, Sam learns that Sarah's death wasn't an accident and walks into the directors office to hand in his resignation. That's why one of the trailers has Sam walking away with the Director of TE saying "YOU CAN'T QUIT FISHER! WE OWN YOU!"

That, and an interview I've read somewhere says it isn't canon.