View Full Version : Help with Graphics Settings in IL2 1946

IZT
05-27-2007, 05:32 AM
Posted Sat May 26 2007 10:26
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4
GeForce 8800GTX
2GB Ram

What graphics settings do i set?

right now all i select is max direct x settings.

i have not played this game for a long time until i jsut recently got il2 1946. I remember last time in pacific fighters i could make the water of the ocean use pixel shader 3.0 ro something by editing something, that and perfect textures.

Can anyone tell me all that i need to edit/set to get the BEST possible graphics?
Can i ask is there any difference between open gl and direct X? Which is better actually

btw i have tried editing the confi.ini file before, but it didn't seemt o take effect...?

Thanks!

EiZ0N
05-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi,

I made a utility which makes changing the settings easier:

http://storm.elxx.net/thresh/1/IL2_Config_Editor.zip

Just put the exe in your game directory.

Set water = 4 I believe for the perfect water. Make sure hardware shaders are on. Everything else is probably self explanatory, just set it to max.

PS use OpenGL or changing these won't do anything as the utility only changes settings for OpenGL. OpenGL is better supported for this game by the developers.

Doolittle81
05-27-2007, 10:20 AM
I think what IZT and I are looking for are teh recommended settings, not just a utility to set them. Your utility is nice, but what setting between 0 and 8 is recommended for Dynamical Lights, for example? Allso, it doesn't seem to work with my conf.ini file....nothing was changed in the file after applying the changes in your utility.

See my related link concerning 1946 conf.ini changes vis-a-vis my 1946 VISTA installation:
3SimHqThread on 1946 VISTA (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2217362&page=1&fpart=2)

ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Dual core E6700 Cpu
2GB OCZ PC8800 RAM
BFG 8800GTX Graphics card
24" LCD Monitor with 1920X1600 native resolution
Windows VISTA 32bit

EiZ0N
05-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi Doolittle.

Some of the options in my utility do go from 0-8. Those are the ones for which I do not know the maximum settings. However, an educated guess tells me that setting it to '8' would give you the highest option anyway.

I have no idea why it wouldn't be changing your settings.

It only changes settings for OpenGL. Are you certain the appropriate lines of the conf.ini file have not changed?

One reason could be if your conf.ini file is read-only...although my program should give an error if that were the case, so that seems unlikely.

Ensure you're using OpenGL (il2setup.exe has the option for this).

I just looked at your thread, and I have no idea why changing your settings isn't working.

Try the following:
Open your conf.ini file in notepad.
Change one of the options... for example, "width" and "height" (set it do a different resolution, e.g width 800 height 600).

Save the file. Load the game. Does it lower your resolution?

JtD
05-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Important is to run it under openGL, enable stencil buffer and s3tc texture compression. Everything else should be setup in good order by standard GForce settings.

Config file is last place to edit, I'd say.

stansdds
05-28-2007, 04:55 AM
I would not bother using texture compression with that rig. Enable stencil buffer, select perfect landscape, in the IL2 setup select the Geforce series cards, go into the cofig file and set water = 3 or 4 and effects = 1 or 2. That is a top notch computer and should be able to handle IL2 with full graphics. Any micro stutters visible are likely due to the way Nvidia's drivers handle OpenGL as it's implemented in the IL2 engine. Some drivers are better than others.

IZT
05-30-2007, 08:13 AM
What widescreen resolution does this game support?

mines a 1440X900 native, but i can't seem to run it on that when adjusting the conf.ini