PDA

View Full Version : PC to PS3, need some help

Vey03
11-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, sorry mods if it's not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif but...

...I'm thinking of swapping from PC to PS3, and i need some help before i commit to this.

See, i've been a PC gamer since day 1, and i've never had a console in my life, so i would love some info please!!!

The thing is, my current PC will need an upgrade soon, and that's something i cannot do myself, so will be expensive.

So for a while now, i've been toying with the idea of swapping my gaming to PS3.

I cannot afford to both get a PS3 and upgrade the PC, so it's either one of the other from now on in.
Meaning my PC will be...well useless really http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

My problem is, everything i have (speakers, monitor, driving wheel, headset) is for PC. So i'm guessing i can't just plug them into the PS3? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

I'm sorry for the silly questions, but i'm quite new to the world of consoles.
What exactly can i do with the PS3 apart from gaming?
How much GB do i need?
What is the life span of a PS3? Or do they need to be upgraded and/or serviced every so often?

Really, anything and everything you guys can think of, please tell me! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LordWolv
11-03-2011, 12:55 AM
If the PC is up to date and the screen is a good size, they're a lot more effective than a PS3 would be.

Nader-Abudiix
11-03-2011, 01:21 AM
on the things you can do with ps3

1.watch movies from blu rays/dvds or from netflix

2.play music from cds or digital

3.there is an internet browser but its not good

ps3 comes with 320gb so you can install games and put music, videos and photos or downloadable games. assassin's creed usually requires 2 to 3gb install

the life span of playstation console is a 10 year vision and we are at 5 now so expect new consoles at 2013 but that doesnt mean ps3 will be droped because ps2 is still running

you just buy the ps3 no upgrades requried even the only is free so all you need is an extra controller just encase you want to play with a friend

SleezeRocker
11-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Well im no PC player so I can't say pro/con of PC but I can help you a bit on PS3 ( I respect gaming, so think twice before you play the "well *insert console* is better than *insert console* card)

A new PS3 will run at 250$ with 160 gb.

Actually..I think there is an Uncharted 3 bundle oging on right now hwere you get uncharted 3 (you'll love it if you into Action/Adventure), 320gb PS3, 1 month of PS+ (gives you free games as long you're subbed, free avatars and themes (you can keep themes and Avi's) and get dsicounts on select addons and games) for 300$ so for 50$ more you can get some nice extra stuff

Let's see, it has a bluray player so you can watch bluray movies

you can stream Netflix,Hulu on your ps3 (or PC as well)

you can use Playstation Home hwich is like a 3D myspace/facebook where you make your own dude and run around talk and play arcade games

Free online gaming (you don't need to subcribe to anything to play online)

Connect to facebook so you can post trophies you've gotten and upload photos form ps3 to facebook

You can use Ethernet/Wired or wireless connections for online

The new slick PS3's don't burn out out like the old VCR ps3's (same as slick xbox where they odn't heat up and get the Red flash rings)
but there is lways the chance if you play for like 3 days straight, you'll kill your system.

Now me personally, I like to take care of my systems so I try my best from stressing out my PS3 keeping it on all the time or something (which right now i feel sorry form y sp3 since im trying to download DC Universe but dam thing is 16gb long and I have 1mb speed net -_-...yeah it aint fun) but oh well..it's free and I save 50$ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Since games are on bluray, you tend to install games automatically (which leads to using up HDD memory fast whereas in xbox you can choose to install or not (but most cases since ps3 uses bluray, it can fit baout 50gb of memory which means you won't be disc swapping
exmaple; LA Noire, Final fantasy13-, Battlefield 3)

you can buy extra HDD on amazon for 50$ and get 500gb (my ps3 is sporting 500gb and i still have 310gb left)

you may choose to be a PlayStation+ subscriber (PS+) where you can get:
Free games;PSN(etwork), PSP/3minis,PS1 games
*you can play em freely as long you subcribe. Where sub ends you can no longer play, but if you resub, you may play theme again

Free themes and avatars
*These you may keep even when subscription ends
Select discounts on games,themes and addons

Early access to select Games,demos and/or Betas
exmaple; June-Uncharted 3, September-ACRO (ACR online)

Watch the months Qore episode/video
exmaple- November features Skyrim, ACR, rayman Origins and Uncharted 3

Cloud save- You get an additional 150mb online save data storage through your PS3.
so far it's the best way to preserve Copyright/locked saves aside from backing up on a USB drive stick/external drive

Now Cons:
there is no Party chat, so you can't voice chat with players on diffrent games than you

Avatars for your Playercards are thumbnails (like what we use on forums minus gifs) instead of 3D figures like on xbox

there are special videos and stuff (kind of like box's Inside xbox) but you must pay for em which are called Qore magazines. they 3$ each, 25$ for 1yr or they inlcuded free for evey month you are a PS+ member

In playstation home, some clothing items and certain minigames you do have to pay for em, but in general PShome is free to use

Also most games from before 2008 don't have trophies (Achivements on xbox) (pop ups when you certain stuff in game) except uncharted 1 and star wars Unleashed 1 that Im aware of.

PS3 has an internet browser..but it sucks..it's as useful as AOL browsing lol

Also a large majority of of your hardrive music aren't playable on ps3 games.

The only games that you can use your HD music are red dead redemption, MK vs DC (shame new MK doesn't let you -_-) and handful of PSN games

Oh and Killzone 2-3 and Dead space 2 let's you play music online (Dead space 2 you can listen offline too)

Also PS3 controllers are still pricey (unless you go for a bootleg controller but..I have 1 and they aren't totally reliable...)

Let's see now....
The Ps3-only ganmes that I so far enjoy are:
Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 1-3, Killzone 2-3 are alright, Resistance 1-3 is ok, InFamous 1-2+Festival of blood.

I can't tell you much on xbox 360 (I know you didn't mention about getting it) but im sure someone here can tell you pro/cons of xbox.

Oh 1 Pro I can tell you on xbox is that it starts at 200$
con-it has only 4gb so unless you plan on getting alot of addon, you need bigger drive or buy another HDD for xbox on amazon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Azugo
11-03-2011, 02:00 AM
While you're looking to swap to console gaming, I'm looking to swap to PC gaming.

The PC is an all-purpose machine. The consoles have limited versions of what the PC has.

The PS3 and 360 have just about hit their limits, technically speaking. And with the 'Xbox Next' releasing in 2013, PS4 releasing in 2014 (most likely), that just proves that Sony and Microsoft are looking towards the future.

I think you'd be better off upgrading your PC, and wait another couple years until the next generation of consoles.

KuldarYldrad
11-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Upgrade your PC and take a BR drive in the upgrade. You will have a better machine than a PS3.

Vey03
11-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Wow, some great info, thanks guys http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

To clear up a few things... i really will only use it for games and movies. And games moreso. Nothing else really. I don't care about facebook, or using it for the internet. So i will need to keep my PC for that.

The thing is, i know at the moment they just released the 320gb, and there's heaps of bundles going around too. Thing is, these are all around the $400 mark here (in Australia), so i'm thinking about buying used, as i can get a PS3, accessories, plus games for about $250-$350.

But is buying used a wise thing to do?
As long as it's not been abused and isn't old, i'm happy to buy used and save some money.
Which is why i ask about just how many GB is enough, as that obviously makes a difference in price.

Also, this buying stuff though the PL network, i assume it's done through something like paypal? Or how exactly?

Don't get me wrong, i love my PC, and this is a really hard decision for me. But it's just something i've been mulling over for a while.

P.S - what is a BR drive?

jmk1999
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM
blu-ray drive. usually called a BD-rom drive (blu-ray disc drive).

WackoJacko_7
11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Well i have a ps3 from day one, as they call it 'the godfather' ps3, never had any problemsand regularly use it, but im half and half, if a game comes out on ps3 and pc (ACR) i always go for ps3, but i do play loads of games pc exclusive like mmo's.

In my opinion i would go for a upgraded pc in your shoes, unless when you mean uprgraded you mean a whole new one and not just taking it to a shop for them to do it. Matter on price really unless your not too bothered about money, i prefer ps3 but in your shoes, PC.

Hope i helped :P

Vey03
11-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Off course! Blue Ray drive. Thanks Dom.

I am bothered about money. I said that in my first post.
And yes, the PC would have to go to a shop for someone to upgrade, as i don't know how to do it myself.
And yes, it would end up being 2 or more times the price of just getting a PS3 if i have everything done that i want.
If i just go for Win 7, then that can be done for the same price as buying a PS. But i'll have to do more within the next 6 months.
A decent graphics card alone can cost $300 over here. And that's the price of a brand new PS.

Any more advice guys? What would you do?
And also, how is the gaming experience with a console vs a PC?
And is there any difference in lag?
How stable is the connection? Are you guys using wired modems/routers or wireless?

WackoJacko_7
11-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Well if its just on gaming experience over price, i would definatly say PS3 over PC anyday why?
-Easier to control with controller.
-Dont need to worry about graphics, yes they wont be the best but there is no complaining about them as there nearly the same.
-Got things like playstation home and access to film.com and all that added extra stuff for free.
-Can watch a blu ray dvd when ever you want, and you wont get better quality than that except for on the bigscreen.
-PSN store is sooooooo much easier to use than steam or anything else, easy to use and generally cheaper.

Though there are drawbacks dont forget;
-You will not be able to play as manyy games like MMO's(such as Rift/WoW), games like Minecraft, and all the little games within steam like Terraria, if you don''t know any of them then i guess you'll be okay.
-But all in all theres only 1 thing i prefer PC over PS3, a game like skyrim, i can get mods on it and its easier to fix bugs yourself just by typing in the reset commands ect.

But really, i'd lean 85% PS3 15% PC

LadyGahan2010
11-04-2011, 05:53 AM
PS vs PC?

I quit playing PC games long time ago and never looked back. Say what you want, but console is a gaming experience, PC is for work and small entertainment. I think everyone already said what I had to say but if you get PS3, you won't be sorry. It's ready for gaming, you pop the game in, in 3-4 mins you play, with a perfect equipment such as controller: not the keyboard, mouse or pad. Never had any advanced gear for PC gaming, so can't tell you the difference between the advanced stuff and PS controller, but NO, I will never switch back to PC.
Lag is the same with PC and PS3, checked as far as ACB. I use netgear router and ISP modem, and even though my wireless connection for PS is pretty OK, I'd go with wired, much more reliable.
Playstation is definitely worth the money. No expensive upgrades to keep up with every new and hardware-greedy games.

Vey03
11-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks. Yeah, there's a lot of advantages to a PS.
Cost is a big one. Even down to things like betas and being able to rent and try out games, being able to buy games 2nd hand. And sell the ones you don't like instead of just wasted $100's of dollars sitting in a draw.

lukaszep
11-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Your speakers would need to plug into your tv and a driving wheel etc. should be compatible if they are USB.
Just a tip if you do buy one, go on the amazon warehouse deals. The PS3 slim is a steal. (e.g. i got my new one for 123.99 and RRP is 199.99)

rocketxsurgeon
11-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Well i've never been a PC gamer (unless you include minecraft).
However i'm a PS3 owner and i find that its really good entertainment wise in addition to a library of great games. (Cough Uncharted 3 Cough)

I would recomend getting a PS3. For gaming a console is normally best, however you can't use mods.
There are never normally many differences between the PS3 version of games and the PC version of games. Except the sims 3- way better on PC.

So i'd recomend the PS3, purely because it doesn't require anything additional- just buy it and play.
If you do get a PS3, feel free to add me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ResidentTroll
11-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by rocketxsurgeon:
For gaming a console is normally best
Price wise, correct. However, PCs will run MUCH better graphics, MUCH better FPS and MUCH more GB/MB. If you have the thousands to spend on a VERY good PC, it's worth getting that rather than a console. Plus, if you like controllers, there's hundreds of programs to adapt a controller to a PC.

Vey03
11-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by lukaszep:
Your speakers would need to plug into your tv

My speakers have a little jack. The only place my TV has that is for the headphones. Would they work plugged in there?

However i'm a PS3 owner and i find that its really good entertainment wise in addition to a library of great games. (Cough Uncharted 3 Cough)

I would recomend getting a PS3. For gaming a console is normally best, however you can't use mods.
There are never normally many differences between the PS3 version of games and the PC version of games. Except the sims 3- way better on PC.

So i'd recomend the PS3, purely because it doesn't require anything additional- just buy it and play.
If you do get a PS3, feel free to add me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What is a mod?

The Sims is not my cup of tea, so i'm ok there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Uncharted 3, saw a TV add for it, and decided to look it up. It does look good, and got some good reviews too.

Will add you if i get one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The cost of having, and keeping current, a gaming PC isn't fun.
My current PC has done very well, and if the specs in the PC section are correct, will run ACR as is.

But it needs a good spring clean and at least Win 7. And just for those 2 things alone, will cost me more to have done than buying a brand new PS3.
And if i was to buy a PS3, i'm leaning very strongly to a used one.
But is that a wise thing to do? And how many GB is enough? I'm not a heavy gamer, so i was thinking 120 or 160?

LightRey
11-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Mouse03:
What is a mod?
A mod is a modification of the game.

Jexx21
11-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Actually, I'd suggest upgrading your PC and waiting for the release of the next PS (PS4?) or just waiting for the PS4. Because it'll release in 2 or 3 years, and then you'll be able to play PS3 and PS4 games on it.

Even with that, PC gaming is the best for everything anyway, except price. But then again, the new consoles when released will probably be around $600.

rocketxsurgeon
11-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by ResidentTroll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rocketxsurgeon:
For gaming a console is normally best
Price wise, correct. However, PCs will run MUCH better graphics, MUCH better FPS and MUCH more GB/MB. If you have the thousands to spend on a VERY good PC, it's worth getting that rather than a console. Plus, if you like controllers, there's hundreds of programs to adapt a controller to a PC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant in terms of the average casual gamer. Many many people cannot afford to inhance their PC enough for games nowadays.

PC can always be inhanced, but consoles are easier for the average gamer. But on the whole, PCs are way more poweful. My little laptop can just about handle minecraft lol

What is a mod?

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">A mod is something you can download to change the game in some way. For example in minecraft you can download mods that will give you infinate stuff to build with. Mods are something that are mainly user generated. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Oh and skins, you can edit a lot of skins and textures in the game which you cannot do on consoles. So you could basically change the colours to make everything look pink and blue if you wanted to. lol</span>

The Sims is not my cup of tea, so i'm ok there http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Haha, i wanted to try it out on the PS3, because my laptop isn't particularly great. However PC versions will always be the best. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif</span>

Uncharted 3, saw a TV add for it, and decided to look it up. It does look good, and got some good reviews too.
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE"> I pre ordered it and its a fantastic game, solid story with a great multiplayer- can't go wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I recomend it. </span>

Will add you if i get one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The cost of having, and keeping current, a gaming PC isn't fun.
My current PC has done very well, and if the specs in the PC section are correct, will run ACR as is.

But it needs a good spring clean and at least Win 7. And just for those 2 things alone, will cost me more to have done than buying a brand new PS3.
And if i was to buy a PS3, i'm leaning very strongly to a used one.
But is that a wise thing to do? And how many GB is enough? I'm not a heavy gamer, so i was thinking 120 or 160?

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Well i have a 120GB slim PS3. It's been with me now for 2 years and it's still going strong. I haven't had any issues with space at all. But then again, i have a small library of games that i play a lot. (Black ops, Uncharted 3, ACB) the rest of the games i don't really play.

One thing i will suggest though, is that if you're looking at a large quantity of games, get a larger GB. The PS3 automatically installs the game when you first run it- it's mandatory and makes the game run smoother. (In comparison on the xbox- installing isn't compulsory). It's similar to installing games on the PC.

Used PS3s are absolutely fine, however Sony have a one year guartnee on their newly bought products so if it breaks in that year they will fix it for free. As you're buying it second hand, that isn't completely true. However if you buy from somewhere such as GAME, i think you can take it back to them and they will fix it. But make sure you check beforehand and keep the documentation.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (PS sorry for the extra long post lol)</span>

Vey03
11-05-2011, 09:04 AM
No, it's great info, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The graphics aren't really a big thing. The difference is not really that huge is it.
Yes PC is better, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Yep, i would have about the same as you with regard to games.
I probably would use it for recording TV, but only stuff i don't want to keep, so once watched, it would get deleted.

Yep, i'm aware of warrantee issues with 2nd hand.

How do you communicate with friends? I mean, on PC, you have something like Xfire or Teamspeak, and just type away. But you can't hook up your keyboard to the PS or TV, so how does it work?

And as far as headsets go, you would plug that into the PS3 via USB?

And i'm assuming any lag is the same as PC since you're using the same ethernet connection, therefore the same lines?

Windrius
11-05-2011, 09:13 AM

This might be true, however, PC games are cheaper than console games. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So the money you would spend on upgrading your PC will be the extra money you spend on each game you buy for console insted of PC. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sp33dd34m0n
11-05-2011, 09:53 AM
I also was a PC gamer from day one. But it bothered me a lot that the PC versions were released later than the console versions. I wanted to play resident Evil 5 and AC2 on the release day so I bought a 360. After playing RE5 very competive I bought a PS3 just for that.

So I play on all 3 plattforms.

You say its a question of money. If this is the case, a 360 would be much cheaper. Ull get a used one for 70 bucks and a new one for like 100-120.

Some users pointed out the pros and the contras for each plattform so no need to do that now. Both plattforms are great but cant be compared to PC graphic.

But imo both plattforms are now more than 5 years old and the price for a 360 is fair but 250-300 bucks for a PS3 isnt. PSN and XBL are pretty much equal with all their pros and contras (I know fanboys would tell u something else).

So for me there are only two huge differences about the benefits:

1. 360 costs only something around 100 bucks
2. There are much more ppl on PSN for most games.

And btw. If u can run ACB and just want an upgrade for ur pc to habe little more power u can get really good graphic cards for 150 bucks.

SleezeRocker
11-05-2011, 12:31 PM

How do you communicate with friends? I mean, on PC, you have something like Xfire or Teamspeak, and just type away. But you can't hook up your keyboard to the PS or TV, so how does it work?

You talk with friends by instant chat, or send messages with PSN (playstation network). Also with your email and password (to login into PSN) can be used to login to playstation forums.

Also for voice chat you use either wireless headsets (like bluetooth) and sync into the ps3 or use wired USB headsets.

And Lag is always there. Someone (many people) out in the world will have cheap connections and ruin it for others :P

Also for memory you always buy a 500gb hardrive on amazon for no less than 60$

If you are getting a PS3, i recommend going to your local gamestop and get the Uncharted 3 Bundle PS3 (http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/consoles/playstation-3-uncharted-3-drakes-deception-bundle-320gb/95546)
Has a 320gb PS3+Uncharted 3 game

lukaszep
11-05-2011, 02:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lukaszep:
Your speakers would need to plug into your tv

My speakers have a little jack. The only place my TV has that is for the headphones. Would they work plugged in there?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup it should work with most TV's as long as the jack is the right size (mm etc.) Some TV's don't adapt to it straight away so you'll need to change the audio output under the settings.

iN3krO
11-05-2011, 04:25 PM
PC Pros:

Customizable Gameplay
Better Graphics (not only for dx9->11 but also cuz of lack of textures quality in ps3 games)

PC Bad:

Expensive
Less Players

Ps3 Pros:

Cheap
More players
Blue Ray Disk Reader

Ps3 Bad:

Lack of gaming customizations (no keyboard+mouse support = worst shoters' experience then pc)

xBox Pros:

Online gaming with less lag
More players (not really sure)
Cheap

xBox Bad:

Online is payed
No blue ray disk
Lack of gaming customization (same as ps3)
Will never have crossplay with ps3 and pc

If you can't afrod of upgrading ur pc ps3 will be ur better choise.

Vey03
11-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Guys, can i ask one thing please?...
When you're quoting prices, tell me which currency you're talking in. Because i guarantee you that whatever it is, it'll be more expensive where i am.

And yes, an Xbox here is cheaper. But only slightly. So it's not really an issue.

@SleezeRocker - Yes, but how do you instant chat on a PS3? I mean, using what? Do you actually plug in your keyboard?

Bundle is good idea. But i wouldn't be buying new, simply because of the cost.

@lukaszep - Hmm, i might need to try that out with the TV and my speakers! Thanks!

@daniel - you have to pay to play online with an Xbox? Seriously? In that case, forget the Xbox. Not that i was going that anyway. And yes, i would the blue ray on the PS3.

And can i ask... with the PS3, how you can watch and record TV on it, etc...are there fees with that? Do you have to pay anything extra? Download anything to be able to do that? Or modify or upgrage (or whatever) the PS3?

LightRey
11-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Yeah, if you're an avid online gamer with not that much money, Xbox isn't the way to go. However, if you have loads of cash then it's probably the way to go.

iN3krO
11-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
Yeah, if you're an avid online gamer with not that much money, Xbox isn't the way to go. However, if you have loads of cash then it's probably the way to go.

with loads of cash pc is the best!

@Mouser03

You can buy a keyboard for ps3 that you plug with usb cable or use the controller to use the screen keyboard (if u have ever played crash bandicoot in ps1 it's a screen keyboard like the savegame screen).

For the money ps3:
New w/ 160gb: 245
New w/ 320gb and a game: 270
Second hand w/ 250gb: 170

xbox i don't know but if i can remember well, online costs 15/month, but take in consideration that you'll be recieving a better internet serviece then ps3 offers...

LightRey
11-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

with loads of cash pc is the best!

@Mouser03

You can buy a keyboard for ps3 that you plug with usb cable or use the controller to use the screen keyboard (if u have ever played crash bandicoot in ps1 it's a screen keyboard like the savegame screen).

For the money ps3:
New w/ 160gb: 245
New w/ 320gb and a game: 270
Second hand w/ 250gb: 170

xbox i don't know but if i can remember well, online costs 15/month, but take in consideration that you'll be recieving a better internet serviece then ps3 offers... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was speaking in respect of online gaming in particular, but yes in general (unless you're lazy like me) if you have loads of cash then PC is the way to go.

rocketxsurgeon
11-06-2011, 06:50 AM
No, it's great info, thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The graphics aren't really a big thing. The difference is not really that huge is it.
Yes PC is better, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Yep, i would have about the same as you with regard to games.
I probably would use it for recording TV, but only stuff i don't want to keep, so once watched, it would get deleted.

Yep, i'm aware of warrantee issues with 2nd hand.

And i'm assuming any lag is the same as PC since you're using the same ethernet connection, therefore the same lines?

Well the PS3 has 3 main supports for communication.
You get a basic voice chat, which you can use to just talk to people while at the main menue of the PS3. You also have chat boxes which can be used at the main menue or can be used during games.
The last way is in game support for mics. Sony doesn't have any kind of party chat, so its purely get in the lobby with someone to talk to them.
Obviously you can send private messages ontop of that.

For all of those options you get a pop up on screen keyboard. If that's not your cup of tea, theres a keyboard you can get that plugs into the back of your controller, but most people just use the on screen one.

As far as mics are concerned, theres many types you can get. I've got the official sony one- its wireless. Only the charging cradle plugs into the PS3 (via usb). Then the mic is wireless the rest of the time when using.

rocketxsurgeon
11-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Guys, can i ask one thing please?...
When you're quoting prices, tell me which currency you're talking in. Because i guarantee you that whatever it is, it'll be more expensive where i am.

And yes, an Xbox here is cheaper. But only slightly. So it's not really an issue.

@SleezeRocker - Yes, but how do you instant chat on a PS3? I mean, using what? Do you actually plug in your keyboard?

Bundle is good idea. But i wouldn't be buying new, simply because of the cost.

@lukaszep - Hmm, i might need to try that out with the TV and my speakers! Thanks!

@daniel - you have to pay to play online with an Xbox? Seriously? In that case, forget the Xbox. Not that i was going that anyway. And yes, i would the blue ray on the PS3.

And can i ask... with the PS3, how you can watch and record TV on it, etc...are there fees with that? Do you have to pay anything extra? Download anything to be able to do that? Or modify or upgrage (or whatever) the PS3?

(Sorry for double post)

To watch TV it really depends on where abouts on the globe you are. There are different services on different reigons.
In the UK, we get free BBC iplayer, ITV and 4OD.
So you should get some free content, of course the PS3 doesn't offer you any additional or exclusive content for free. The channels i listed have their own websites you can catch up on. So the PS3 is basically like the middle man- just providing you with the content you can have access to on the computer but via PS3.
Also this is recorded TV, its not live streaming.

There are services (mainly film services) that you have to pay for though.

As for recording TV, i'm not sure how that works.

Vey03
11-07-2011, 02:17 AM
My current keyboard isn't USB, so that won't work.
But if i'm not happy with the onscreen one, keyboards aren't that expensive, and this one is quite old and some keys aren't great, so i was wanting to get a new one anyway.

My current headset is a headset and mic combo. It's USB. Would that plug into the PS3 itself, or into the TV?
Also, is it possible to get an extension cable for these, as the cable on mine might be a tad short.

Re the TV channels, ahh ok, thanks!

SleezeRocker
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
My current keyboard isn't USB, so that won't work.
But if i'm not happy with the onscreen one, keyboards aren't that expensive, and this one is quite old and some keys aren't great, so i was wanting to get a new one anyway.

My current headset is a headset and mic combo. It's USB. Would that plug into the PS3 itself, or into the TV?
Also, is it possible to get an extension cable for these, as the cable on mine might be a tad short.

Re the TV channels, ahh ok, thanks!

Yeah you can use a usb keyboard, wireless bluettoh keyboard, or Sony's controller keyboard (which sucks isnce it's small, waste your controllers battery life and 45$ more than a usb keyboard).

When you're logged into PSN on tghe ps3, on the ffar right of the menu (XMB-Cross media bar), there is an option that says Chat, here you select:
Video Chat must have a compatible USB camera..(95% of time the PS eye)
Text chat Here you can send instant messages to your PSN friends and you may invite anyone and so could your friends.

*Personally I don't really use either option as much just use regular PS friend messaging. I use text chat now n then mostly if im playing private matches and it's my only means os talking (I rarely voice chat; that and because I lost my bluetooth at my dads house in california)

BlackRose1809
11-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the brotherhood.. we have cookies...

jk jk.

Seriously, it's doesn't matter if you go from pc to PS3 or xbox 360, there's always a pro or a con in each one. I have a Ps3, why? Well I always been a sony girl. But anyways, if you want to use your speakers and all that, you got to test it out and see if it works on it. But if not, it's fine. You can still use any tv or monitor as long as it has a way to be connect to the console.

I think a PS3 is a good thing to buy. I bought mine just a year ago and it works perfectly. I take good care of it. Good features, except the party chat, I wish I could do that on the PS3, but w.e. It's a pretty nice device, I can watch Bluray and normal DVD, watch hulu or netflix and just pretty listen to any of my music I have on my laptop. I don't go online much on it, like that's for my laptop. Playstation Home, I like it but I rarely get on. It's not my thing.

But anyways, in any AC game, it's the same in each one, except the controls, that's all there is. IMO, it seems easier to use a console for games that are for PC and console, because there's too much controls and I really can't operate well on keyboard, so I feel more comfortable with a controller instead. I use my PC gaming for the Sims, yo! ;3

I hope you enjoy yourself, whatever you decided to do!

Vey03
11-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Cookies...meh. Give me chocolate! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Guys, do you need to go though all this static vs dynamic IP addresses with a console?
Or any particular internet connection type? Or... something?

I'm so angry at my ISP right now!

The speakers won't work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif They have a little jack, and the only hole in my TV for that is the one for headphones.
Are there connectors that can turn a jack into the red and white cable connection that my TV has?

ScytheOfGrim
11-08-2011, 11:21 PM
A friendly warning that I haven't seen pointed out:

If you're looking for a quick, short-term solution, then getting a PS3 would be one of the better choices, but I expect the PS3 to be relatively near the end of its lifetime. If playing the latest games isn't high in priority for you, then you'd be quite content with the PS3's big backlog of exclusive games. But, if you are interested in playing the latest games, then it might be in your interest to wait until Sony's next console. I'm pretty confident Sony isn't going to abandon Bluray just yet, and so it's an easy assumption that the next console from Sony will be able to play PS3 games. You can safely say that the PS3 has only a year or two left in its life, so consider that before you purchase one now.

In all honesty, though it may be more expensive, it would be a more future-proof plan to upgrade your PC, rather than buy a PS3.

Vey03
11-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Honestly, for my PC to last more than 2yrs would take over $500 (Aust dollars). Probably closer to $1000. I'd be replacing motherboards, the whole lot.
If i go for a cheaper option, then i'm looking at about $300-$500. And in another 2yrs time, i'd probably be looking at upgrading again.
With a PS3, i can pick up a used one for $200. If i need to spend another $300 for a new PS in 2yrs, that's cheaper than $500 now, and another $300 later.

Skuldpt
11-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Well, I made the same, and I'm extremely happy for picking PS3 and not XBOX (sorry XBOX fans). In PS3 you have more extras, exclusives, less lag and more players and less cheaters.

About the hardware you have all of them should be compatible, for the monitor it only works if your monitor has HDMI (of course you will have to get a HDMI cable as well). The driving weel, depends on the models you have, if in the box says you can use it on PS3 then no problem, if it says PS2 you will need an adapter. If it just pc, you'll need an adapter too.
If you need help reprograming the driving wheel PM me, I'm a computer nerd!

SleezeRocker
11-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Skuldpt:
In PS3 you have less lag and more players and less cheaters.

Im a PS3 owner and I have yet to have seen that claim...on any platform.

And Mouse, with firmware updates and bluray still being the main HD media..I hardly doubt to see a PS4 within 3-5 years unless Greenray disc is invented or something lol

I know that Playstation is releasing the PSV(ita) which is basically a portable version of a PS3 in US February23 (Its coming to Japan next month)...that's the closest to sony releasing a new system that im aware of.

If you get a PS3, then good luck and possibly look up PS3 Assassin's around here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Vey03
11-09-2011, 07:23 AM
@ Skuldpt - thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My monitor no http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif .It's only got the normal cable slots, one for digital, one analogue.
The wheel, i have no idea, i don't have the box. It's a USB connection. Thanks, if i have problems, i might take you up on your offer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

@ SleezeRocker - ya, if they were releasing something next year, might make me stop and think twice, but otherwise, the cost of upgrading my PC is much more.

Guys, do you need to have a static IP (or specific settings etc) for best game results? Or does it not matter?