PDA

View Full Version : Carrier TakeOff's

StephenBurnett
11-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Just a newbie guys. Carrier Takeoffs US Corsair. I run the motor up to 110% check, press b for wheel brake (tried several times) but plane doesn't move (nothing happens). If I hit autopilot key plane moves but then slows and crashes into sea. Can someone tell what I haven't done to get going as I think I've tried everything and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stephen Burnett. Crusty.

Athosd
11-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Greetings StephenBurnett,

You'll have to go into your control setup (in game - where you can assign keys for functions) and assign a key/combo to the "chocks" item.
Note - with this sim its always a good idea to check out the readme file.

With that key assigned you can release the chocks on your fighter's wheels and take off from a carrier.

The idea of the chocks is to let you run up to full power for shortest takeoff, and also to stop your plane sliding off the deck in rough seas.
Once activated they also turn off collision detection for your plane - which helps avoid catastrophe on a crowded deck.

Cheers

Athos

DrFurberger
11-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Hi Stephen, you have to map a key to the
wheel chocks to release them before you can
take off. Go into your controls menu and scroll down until you find the wheel chocks command, move over to the right of it and click. That'll open a text box, then press a key to set for it.
There is no default key for it.

FoolTrottel
11-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Assign a key to 'Chocks' function.
Use that key instead of 'b'.
It will clear the 'chocks' and you'll be free to go and take off

FoolTrottel
11-06-2004, 04:29 AM
Well, how's this for 'multi-user' three answers on one question... all 3 at the same moment... and I even checked shortly before pressing 'post now' if there already was an answer...!!

DrFurberger
11-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Heh heh, lot's of folks up early this a.m.
Shouldn't you guys be flying? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

169th_Moose
11-06-2004, 07:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StephenBurnett:
Just a newbie guys. Carrier Takeoffs US Corsair. I run the motor up to 110% check, press b for wheel brake (tried several times) but plane doesn't move (nothing happens). If I hit autopilot key plane moves but then slows and crashes into sea. Can someone tell what I haven't done to get going as I think I've tried everything and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stephen Burnett. Crusty. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for bringing that question on the table http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, I bought the game yesterday. I was experiencing the same issue as you. I have no clue how come much of the keys in question has no assignement http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif per default.

rodion_zero
11-06-2004, 09:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 169th_Moose:
I have no clue how come much of the keys in question has no assignement http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif per default. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a guess. Since PF acts as an enhancement to IL2FB-AEP if you indeed have the latter already installed in your PC, perhaps the 1C developers felt that if an IL2FB-AEP player decides to install PF on top of their existing setup, that the keys already bound by some people to their IL2FB-AEP setups should be preserved, instead of being replaced by new key commands (esp. carrier-related commands) that were introduced in PF. Just my hunch.

-RODION

Fliger747
11-06-2004, 11:56 AM
The chocks 'trick' works well, though the 'airdales' could never pull a set of chocks with a plane straining against them. The real deal; straining against the brakes with the stick pulled all of the way back to keep the tail on the deck. Hellcat brakes were fully effective enough to stand the plane on it's nose if taxiing without sufficent care.

StephenBurnett
11-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks Guys,

I'm overwhelmed by the good spirit and helpful advice of this forum, great work.
Agree that developers may have thought players of IL2 and Aces expansion may well have known (or already had keys mapped whatever) but I think that I may have raised a point that hopefully they may now consider writing up an addendum covering all issues previously left out. Maybe it's in the readme file and so I should go and have another read.

Thanks again, and I hope that the sim is further developed such that in the end it ends up being a classic like the original IL2. It would pay the developers and the production house (UBIsoft)to work hard to see to this as I believe thats what will count in keeping the faithful user base (you guys) in tact.

Cheers,

Stephen Burnett. Crusty. ;o)

brasil66
11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Moose. Dont complain about the key mapping when you are too lazy to review the README or the manual. Okay?

Waldo.Pepper
11-06-2004, 07:55 PM
So much for the good spirit.

ThePlainsman
11-06-2004, 09:51 PM
LOL!

But I agree that people should at least skim the ReadMe if not the manual. Is that too much to ask? Will someone snatch the game from your harddrive whilst you take 3 minutes to look at the ReadMe and see the part about the chocks? Funny.

ArielSharon1978
11-06-2004, 10:46 PM
LOL, i boiught game today, had same problem.

Its actually a nicer feeling getting tips from some of you fellas i guess.

stansdds
11-07-2004, 06:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm overwhelmed by the good spirit and helpful advice of this forum, great work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry, it won't last! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

oFZo
11-07-2004, 06:51 AM
The spirit's usually pretty good around here and most people are helpful. Somehow I don't understand why so many "n00bs" dont bother to read the manual and readme. Before I asked my first IL2 question on these fora (years ago) I made d@mn sure I had read all information available. (including forum FAQs and stuff)