PDA

View Full Version : Hey Icefire... tempest...how do u fly it?

biggs222
06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
what throttle settings do u use..... i feel like the engines gonna explode when i fly it do u have wep enabled with 110% throttle?

i wanna try ur tempest campaign pack, but i wanna fly this thing right.

timholt
06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Prop pitch 55-65% and about 80% throttle from memory and she fair hums along between 220 and 240 knots depending what you have hanging off it.

Xiolablu3
06-29-2006, 07:09 AM
I just juggle between overheating when I need it and cooling down when I dont. I never touch prop pitch and I seem to do OK. I have rads open all the time unless I am being chased down and need extra speed. Plus the Tempest is hte only plane where WEP really FEELS like WEP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Great engine sound, use WEP and full throttle but only for a while if you are overheating, you will learn how long to push it before the engine seizes, probably about 5 mins most, but try not to go that long. Cool on your dives if you can.

As for tactics fly it like a FW190A/D.

The Tempest is a biiiig plane and is not meant for turning, its meant for going fast and hitting hard. If you want a turn on a dime-knife fighter then take the tiny Spitfire, thats what its for. A Tempest only shines if you use it in the right way.

Think of the Spitfire as the 109 and the Tempest as the FW190 if you are more used to German planes.

biggs222
06-29-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah im definately using it liek the D9 ... its great for slash attacks.. hits insanely hard too... harder than the D9.

i just remember Ice sayin somethign like flying with less than 100% prop pitch and less than 110% throttle with WEp enabled and she'll still fly fast and not overheat. or somethign like that.

VW-IceFire
06-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey!

Yeah I tend to do a few things with the Tempest.

One is that I run with the radiator half open most of the time. I just set it to half and leave it there unless I need to open up more.

As for engine management I tend to run without WEP while crusing. When I enter combat I've modified my prop pitch hotkeys to a few different settings. Someone suggested this to me and I've run with it ever since. Basically I go to WEP and then have two hotkeys (set to whatever you like) for prop pitch 70% and 90%. Sometimes I'll fine tune between the two values. I find that 90% WEP is fine in combat as long as speeds are high. Sometimes you overheat doing this so I drop to 70% which is still plenty fast.

At 90% pitch with WEP enabled you can match speeds with a FW190D-9 1944 at low altitude (in my experience) and you can outrun virtually anything else in a shallow dive at such a setting partly by acceleration and partly by speed.

I REALLY wish we had a more historical Tempest to work with...its historical and accurate but not for the timeperiods I'm most interested in. Nonetheless...this shows off how good the design was. Even at lower boost settings the plane is blazing fast.

biggs222
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I find that 90% WEP is fine in combat as long as speeds are high. Sometimes you overheat doing this so I drop to 70% which is still plenty fast.

drop it to 70% and leave WEP on?

Ive been flying your missions, and i love em... ive been messing around with the setting too.. mostly ive been leaving the pitch at 100 and the rad full open. havent noticed too much drag from the rad but who knows maybe i can get another few MPH out of her if i fly half open.

thanks for the advice.