PDA

View Full Version : How are LSO's handled?

TankerAce
11-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Long time player of IL2 FB, and I am waiting to get PF. I have a couple of questions though. How are carrier ops handled? Do late model CVs (Essex class) use catapaults, and how are LSO's handled? Kinda nice to know someone is guiding me down. Thanks for all responses.

Snuffly
11-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Here is somew LSO tips and info for ya. all i know

LSO Tips N Stuff (http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01628.htm)

lkemling
11-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Although the catapults are there in the decks of some carriers they are not operational,and there is no LSO at this time,only a strange floating circle within the gunsite when using no-cockpit view. you are suppose to keep this circle aligned with a spot on the deck to help as a landing aid.

Tooz_69GIAP
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Check out this movie made by Dart (http://www.darts-page.com/movies/How_to_land_on_a_carrier.zip)

That'll show you how to land on a carrier.

TankerAce
11-17-2004, 10:54 PM
So, basically I have to "wing it" as far as getting down? I supose I can live with it, but that was one (if not only) cool thing about CFS2. Hopefully they'll get an LSO in there at some point.

THE_Bu11dog
11-18-2004, 06:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TankerAce:
So, basically I have to "wing it" as far as getting down? I supose I can live with it, but that was one (if not only) cool thing about CFS2. Hopefully they'll get an LSO in there at some point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off you didn't get the LSO in CFS2 while in multiplayer mode. So there is no difference between the two sims. And And PF put in a landing aid for those who can't fly in cockpit mode which make it better than the LSO guy in CFS2.

And personally I don't think you really need one. It would be nice to have one (or working landing aid lights) for the "eye candy" effect. But landing on the carrier is really nothing more than landing on a really short field. If you can fly a precise course... you will make it every time.

If you can't land without a LSO now... You wouldn't be able to do so with one later. So just practice... Practice .... Practice.

TankerAce
11-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Not saying I can't get down without one (I ignored wave-offs in CFS 2), its just I think for SP atmosphere it will be good. But, I can live without one, because everything else seems to be great in the game... can't wait to get it.