PDA

View Full Version : Combat tips

doogerie
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
ok I find oftan in combat I loose my engen it just dies on me I am proficent in combat i can shoot aircraft down and do not get hit that much but i seem to use too much fule can anyone help like how much should i open my throttel up to on the way to a targit and in combat ? thanks guys

Ritter_Cuda
12-19-2008, 09:05 AM
need more information what plane are you flying what is the situation

doogerie
12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
it's in the early USSR campange I am flying a I-16 TYPE 18,1939

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-19-2008, 09:22 AM
The I-16 has a floating carburator, when you apply negative G's (i.e. dive too hard) the fuel doesn't get to the engine and it dies. Avoid negative G's and you'll be just fine. There are several other early planes that do this as well.

Divine-Wind
12-19-2008, 11:36 AM
If you nose over really hard (Or pull negative g's relatively quickly), the engine will start to sputter until it dies, unless you restore positive gs (Pull up).

If you nose over slowly and smoothly, it seems to keep functioning pretty well, but if you do that in combat you're pretty muchly dead.

Woke_Up_Dead
12-19-2008, 11:57 AM
In case you don't know, "negative G's" means pushing on the stick too hard forward. You can dive as fast as you want by inverting and pulling back on the stick, but pushing the stick forward will cut the flow of fuel from the engine.

general_kalle
12-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Woke_Up_Dead:
In case you don't know, "negative G's" means pushing on the stick too hard <span class="ev_code_RED">Forward</span>. You can dive as fast as you want by inverting and pulling back on the stick, but pushing the stick forward will cut the flow of fuel from the engine.

Correktion

Woke_Up_Dead
12-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by general_kalle:
Correktion

Correkted.

Ba5tard5word
12-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah to fly lower, instead of pressing forward on your stick, flip over and pull up on it. May take a while to get used to it.

LStar
12-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe it's because you're butchering the Queen's English.

HayateAce
12-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately the negative G carburetor effect is a bit overdone in IL2, in that it comes on too quick. There would be enough fuel in the lines to keep the motor running a bit longer than what we have to work with.

Makes me wonder how the SOWBOB Spitfires will be handled.

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by LStar:
Maybe it's because you're butchering the Queen's English.

Be helpful or be quiet. This forum has many members from all around the world and if you can't handle a little bad spelling and grammar then just don't post.

Woke_Up_Dead
12-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
Unfortunately the negative G carburetor effect is a bit overdone in IL2, in that it comes on too quick. There would be enough fuel in the lines to keep the motor running a bit longer than what we have to work with.

Makes me wonder how the SOWBOB Spitfires will be handled.

Not if the carb on those old planes is the same as the carb on the old cars I had. The carburetor is the last step before the fuel gets dumped into the intake manifold, there are no "lines" after the carb.

WeedEater9p
12-19-2008, 04:45 PM
A little off topic here but...
Isn't a little odd that we call those that complain about bad english, Nazis?
(Besides we all know the official language of the internets is leetspeak http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif)

Ok on-topic. I'll spam some advice for your convenience.

~ Press Cntrl+D to remove the lens cap on early war Japanese planes (Ki-27, Ki-43, D3A) and press Shift+F1 to look through it.

~ To access the bombsight on a bomber, press C to goto the bombardier's position and press Shift+F1

~ For German bomb clarification:
SC = General Use
AB = Airburst
SD = Frag
PC = Armor Piercing
(generally, just use SC)