View Full Version : Wings of Prey out on Steam :D

Haigotron
01-09-2010, 11:57 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/45300/

includes 44 steam achievements!

AndyJWest
01-10-2010, 12:08 AM
includes 44 steam achievements!

Sorry to sound synical, but how many of these 'achievements' are awarded for getting a game to run after downloading? There seem to have been a lot of people posting with problems after using Steam.

julian265
01-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Steam works fine for me. I guess its dependent on the titles you buy... And your google search skills.

After griping about the copy protection methods being used on cds and dvds, I'm happy that some forward-thinking people made steam into what it is.

(So far...) It's been easier and much cheaper for me to buy through steam. Anything that makes its way to Australia on a cd or dvd seems to be sold at inflated prices.

SeaFireLIV
01-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again if it is ever possible, never, ever use Steam. Get the game alone and you`ll find life much better.

Also, `achievements`, what a load of nonsense.

megalopsuche
01-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I am far less annoyed by RoF's drm than Steam's requirement that I download some piece of bloatware just to download what I buy.

JG53_Valantine
01-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I spent a long time on the steam is bad bandwagon, but after using it for quite a few games now I have to say it's worked out to actually be a very good piece of kit and has shown to be cheaper on several titles I wanted.

I would however be a bit peeved if Storm of War, Silent Hunter 5 or other simulations came with a must have steam requirement along the same lines of Empire Total War.
V

WhiteKnight77
01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I held out on buying games from Steam and Direct2Drive up until recently. With the recent holiday sale, I decided to buy SHIII for $5 and don't regret it. It does not need a disk in the drive and is free of Starforce (unlike the DVD I have which does and keeps the game from running).

I would much rather have a Steam version over a D2D version. D2D seems to restrict who can and can't buy from them and where one lives. Several years ago, a US serviceman overseas in Japan bought the D2D version of SHIII and couldn't even register the game with them. As long as the disk version isn't linked to Steam (Ubi games are not released on Steam initially mind you), then your arguments for not wanting a "Steam" game goes out the window really.

megalopsuche
01-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
I held out on buying games from Steam and Direct2Drive up until recently.

D2D does not require you to use their bloatware to download their content.

p1ngu666
01-10-2010, 09:23 AM
steam can location lock aswell btw. my empire total war i got off ebay, turns out it was from asia, in the end the seller hadto setup a new steam account for me over there, for it to work...

crucislancer
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
I decided to buy SHIII for $5 and don't regret it.

I did the same, got SHIII for $5, quite happy with it. Now, I only have a few games from Steam, namely Portal, the original Half-Life games, and SHIII. The only problem I've had so far is that I have to disable the music in HL or the game crashes on me. Not sure why that is, but other then that it works great.

Personally, I like having the actual CD/DVD, but Steam is great for picking up older games for cheap. Since my computer is pretty old, I can't even think about getting Wings of Prey without making my PC quake with fear. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Frankthetank36
01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Never tried steam but didn't have any problems downloading 1946 off D2D

VMF-214_HaVoK
01-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Havnt tried the gamer but I am a fan of STEAM. Been using it for years with no problems whatsoever. STEAM is great for any gamer. Buy games without leaving your house and they constantly run excellent deals. The price you can get some quality games at is a steal IMO.

S!

F19_Orheim
01-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I am very happy about Steam, have also been using it for years and have never had any problems whatsoever....

Bought WoP the other day and I have to say that I am positively surprised.
It's far from IL2 gamewiseöö very mission oriented and action NOW, but looks very nice (bummer about the bad looking clouds and sounds .. not so great=),cockpits looks very nice, self casting shadows, variety of difficulty settings... a very "moody" gfx environment, extremely easy to set up.. js, rudder peds, throttle and tir 6dof up in a jiffy.

I would say that this game is an excellent intro for future hardcore combat flight simmers. I will get it for my dad.. IL2 has always been a ted too difficult for him.. and the nephew http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BigSilverHotdog
01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
WoP DRM is restrictive, the dev's attitude regarding their usage of DRM is downright rude, the game is arcade oriented and not anywhere near IL2 in fun factor or realism, and they require you to use a 3rd party online service for playing online, despite it being on steam. Dumb, just dumb. First Rise of Flight and now this. Dumb.

BigC208
01-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Downloaded the demo, played the demo, uninstalled the demo. To arcady for me. Ofcourse I knew this. Pretty pictures nice shadows. On the DRM issue. I did not buy Rise of
Flight because of it and I really looked forward to getting that. If SoW/BoB is going to have it I will not buy that one either (I know, my loss). If they keep all this up I probably end up playing Il2 for life. The idea that I have to be online in order to play a game is a show stopper me. Also I'm on the road a lot with no or slow internet connection. The only way to stop this developement is to vote with our money. The buck stops with us.

Haigotron
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
People are saying it`s bloatware...what exactly is it that`s bloating? Ads? no... spyware? no... oh just the games you decide to install...

I have always been a strong Steam supporter, I've never had any problems with it. Nor any of my friends who switched over to steam over the years.¸

Also, D2D limits the number of installs...Steam doesn`t. I can install my game on any PC and have my stats follow me, for most games i own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fogmaster_
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I've been using steam since 2003 when it was a beta for counter-strike 1.6

The only major pitfall of steam is that their buddy system was bugged for many years and would not work properly. Since then its been great to use. I would rather buy a game off there than a site like d2d or even the russian WOP site that probably will steal my CC #.

And for "bloatware" I think steam itself takes up around 5mb or something like that its really not that bad and for the most part (except il2) will keep your games nice and up to date.

Ba5tard5word
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Steam is fine and is basically a game delivery system, it's like iTunes for video games. Their sales during the holidays were great, I picked up several older games for $5 and other new games for half off. PC game selection at stores generally STINK now, all they care about is console gaming, so Steam is really a blessing and I don't have to wait a week for the boxed game to arrive from amazon or whatever. Also you can run Steam offline if you want.

Sounds like they messed up the Il-2 upload though.

SeaFireLIV
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Steam is sh1te. Half of you are unaware what it`s doing, let alone the unethical use of a system that throws aside anyone who has no access to internet or doesn`t want it.

When you go Offline with it, it isn`t really Offline. It is still phoning home. Unacceptable.

One other thing Steam does (as well as being a strait jacketed collar around one`s neck) is it has a RECURRENT ACTIVATION. If you pull out the plug to try and stay truly Offline, after a couple of weeks your game will not start until you connect back to the net with Steam. Unacceptable.

This has been tested with empire total War. I don`t know about other games since most Steam games don`t last long like Empires does.

I await the Steam fans to totally ignore my points raised and argue past what i`ve written.

TheFamilyMan
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Yet another steam rant:

Last month I attempted to give away my boxed copy of HL2/CS:S that I no longer have use for and hasn't be loaded for at least two years. But NO, you cannot 'give away' a game that was registered with steam; once you register it (which you have to do to play it, regardless of the fact it was purchased off-the-shelf), it is yours and yours alone (unless you share your steam account which is a direct violation of the ULA). If someone else tries to register it, it fails saying "sorry, this is someone elses copy". I contacted steam about this and they replied "sorry, you cannot unregister a registered title". In the end, I really don't care that much but it does annoy me: this sort of info should be clearly marked on all boxed 'valve' games.

I am guilty of purchasing 1 game from steam for $5 (bioshock). But for that price, basically the price of a drink, I'll live with the consequences since it's pretty much a disposable purchase anyways. If any other interesting $5 deals show up, I'll probably be tempted again.

Urufu_Shinjiro
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
Steam is sh1te. Half of you are unaware what it`s doing, let alone the unethical use of a system that throws aside anyone who has no access to internet or doesn`t want it.

When you go Offline with it, it isn`t really Offline. It is still phoning home. Unacceptable.

One other thing Steam does (as well as being a strait jacketed collar around one`s neck) is it has a RECURRENT ACTIVATION. If you pull out the plug to try and stay truly Offline, after a couple of weeks your game will not start until you connect back to the net with Steam. Unacceptable.

This has been tested with empire total War. I don`t know about other games since most Steam games don`t last long like Empires does.

I await the Steam fans to totally ignore my points raised and argue past what i`ve written.

Don't like it, don't use it. It is far better than most other DRM options out there. The only real problem I have with steam is the lack of a resale/gifting option, though I hear they are trying to work something out on this.

julian265
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
The inability to give or sell your games is certainly a downfall.

SeaFire, about the phoning home... The producers need to try to stop license duplication. Right now, the alternatives seem to be some overly restrictive methods for optical disks, or phoning home.

Until they figure out a nice way of preventing license duplication without phoning home, it seems like the best idea to me.

Personally I don't mind the phoning home at all, as long as it's done quickly, and the program doesn't affect me in any other way. (Steam doesn't...)

You can't say it's unethical to require an internet connection, as it is written on the dvd cases for steam games found in shops. Don't like it, don't buy it. I do think the warning should be larger, and on the front cover as well, however.

I still prefer steam over shopping and dvds.

Ba5tard5word
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
99% of games on Steam can be bought in a box, but like I said most electronics stores have terrible pc game selections now. Anyone without an internet connection can buy games from Amazon or whatever if they don't want to leave the house.

Unless Steam doesn't have it, I'll get the game from Steam instead of Amazon because usually the price is better and I'd rather spend an hour or two downloading it then wait a week for it to arrive from Amazon.

And don't blame game companies for DRM stuff, blame pirates.

crucislancer
01-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
And don't blame game companies for DRM stuff, blame pirates.

+1