PDA

View Full Version : Vapour trails & Stick rumble

skimbo
05-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Hi all

Quick 2 questions for y'all which hopefully you can answer.

IS there a way to adjust the height at which vapour trails for planes appear?

What I mean by this is that I have to fly at 7000m+ or something ridiculous to see vapour trails coming off aircraft wings. Is this correct? I wouldn't have thought it would be THAT high! What altitude could you expect to see vapour trails?

Also could someone please explain how I turn on the rumble facility on my Saitek Cyborg 3D joystick - I can't find a switch/toggle for it anywhere in the game!

I guess theres a config file lurking somewhere that allows me to adjust vapour trail height and turning on my rumble - any clues guys?

Thanks in advance.

Skimbo

skimbo
05-05-2007, 01:53 AM
I am a git.

Just noticed the bloody switch for the force feedback on the joystick section.

Feel free to beat me.

However if anyone still knows about the altering the height of vapour trails that would be much appreciated http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Skimbo

FritzGryphon
05-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Ok. *beats you*

No way to change tip trail altitude. They do show up in some odd places.

buzzsaw1939
05-05-2007, 06:19 AM
Ok.. I'm up early and lurking, so I'll give this one a try, first off, the vapor trails don't come off the wing tips, it comes from the heat of the engines, burning fuel produces some moisture, and when it hits the super cold upper atmosphere, it freezes into tiny ice crystals, hince the word vapor. haveing said that, you can at times get it from wing tips, like in a high speed stall, ( pulling back to hard on the stick ) lower altitudes generaly have moisture to some degree, when the vortice comes off the tip, it speeds up and super cools, and thats why you can see it. now this is just a laymans explination, if you want details I've noticed theres a lot of numbers junkies in here that would be glad to help! if you want smoke from your wing tips, I think I saw a key in the controls section, however I've never used it, so I'm not sure how that works! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

skimbo
05-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Thanks.

Sorry I'm probably a bit **** at explaining stuff. What I want is the white trails that you see in the old footage of B17's when they're all stacked up in their formations, it's like massive long trails from all these aircraft.

Its just I set up a quick mission in the game and there were no trails until around 5000/7000m+ (sorry I cant remember what alt it was exactly!) it just seems a bit high. I thought you would see these trails before these kind of alitudes. I don't know what 5000 or 7000M is in feet but its got to be a heck of a lot.

Did the USAAF or the RAF really bomb from that high up?

Oh and thanks for lurking and answering Buzzsaw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skimbo

Tailspin45
05-06-2007, 09:14 AM
For those that don't know, contrails (as in condensation trails) are caused when moisture in the engine exhaust condenses. I can't find the number, but it's something like 2 quarts of wter for every gallon of gasoline!

Wing tip vapor trails are caused by the reduced pessure and temperature in the the tip vortex.

And none of this answers your question about how to change the altitude at which they're produced. I suspect it's hard coded.

buzzsaw1939
05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
To answer your question directly, (yes) they bombed from very high altitudes, you can only get those trails when your that high, if you want them, your going to have to do a lot of climbing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

staticline1
05-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Vapor trails on average depending on conditions would generally start between 20-21k ft. That would equate to nearly 6100m but I think in the game they start around just past 7000m but don't remember exactly as its been awhile since I went up that high. There shouldn't be a way to alter them as they should be hardcoded.

VW-IceFire
05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by skimbo:
Thanks.

Sorry I'm probably a bit **** at explaining stuff. What I want is the white trails that you see in the old footage of B17's when they're all stacked up in their formations, it's like massive long trails from all these aircraft.

Its just I set up a quick mission in the game and there were no trails until around 5000/7000m+ (sorry I cant remember what alt it was exactly!) it just seems a bit high. I thought you would see these trails before these kind of alitudes. I don't know what 5000 or 7000M is in feet but its got to be a heck of a lot.

Did the USAAF or the RAF really bomb from that high up?

Oh and thanks for lurking and answering Buzzsaw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skimbo
Yep they did bomb from that high up. I think most bomber crews mentioned the trails would start around 25,000 feet depending on conditions. So the game does this pretty accurately.

The wingtip trails are caused during very tight maneuvers where the air is condensing rapidly at the tips of the wings. This can happen, at least in game, at any altitude...I believe it happens at real life at any altitude as well.

skimbo
05-08-2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks all!

Skimbo