PDA

View Full Version : Flight Distances

Deathsai
06-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Perhaps I'm just impatient, but I can't stand to play most of the Pacific Fighter campaigns. It's a beautiful game, yes, but it's not beautiful and the graphics are not realistic enough to warrant 15 minutes of my time being wasted by staring at water, water, water, while auto-piloting to the target on x8 speed. Even at that acceleration, it's still quite slow on carrier missions, when I'm flying across New Guinea, etc.

Is there a remedy to this problem? Or am I going to have to stick to European fighter campaigns forever?

Bongokid
06-29-2005, 08:43 PM
If it may help:

i recently found, posted on simhq, a link to the new dynamic campaign generator by Paul Lowengrin (unfortunately i forgot where exacttly, shouldn't be to hard to find though). In addition to the various tweaks he brought to the normal campaign generator it is possible to choose the maximum distance to mission objectives.

I have set it to 50 km for the guadalcanal campaign in the zero and i wait no more than 1 or 2 min. at X4 time acceleration to reach action. though, this means air starts for the campaign i fly.

hope this helps,

by the way if its possible to be closer to action AND still have carrier ops, please someone tell me how http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

cheers,

Bongokid

LEXX_Luthor
06-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Others here can point you to downloaded missions and campaigns for the Pacific.

If you are into the Online Dogfight thing, this is the best sim made. Others here can point you in that direction.

I have gone over to the StrikeFighters, and am close to becoming a 3rd Panty modder (my first time). Modifying other modders terrain tiles to get me started, using GOTOP30 satellite data, I just made my own Pacific map with central Borneo on the west edge, the western tip of New Guinea on the right edge, southern Phillipines to the north, and the Indonesian archipelago lining the south edge, and the giant tangled Celebes and hundreds of islands right in the middle. I always wanted to fly over the Celebes. And, I get a good 100km horizon distance. In some places I get steep 80 degree slope mountains rising from the water's edge, and all with a bright green jungle seperated from the blue~green water by a narrow strip of white sand.

Now if I could only mix my StrikeFighters map with PF airplanes and carriers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

LEXX_Luthor
06-29-2005, 08:51 PM
To answer your last Question, some have made fairly short but realistic (as opposed to real) missions that take you into action quickly but still make you fly a little instead of jumping into The Dogfight(tm) too fast. Pacific distances are very long for flight simming. Too long in fact. A keen eye for game design can address this, keeping things short but realistic.

The other thing you can do is learn the Full Mission Builder. I guess I spent so much time doing FMB in the past because of a lack of deep air warfare environment simulation. We have to create that ourselves.

Deathsai
06-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Bongo, do you have a link to this?

Lexx, I like the FMB, but all my missions end up in me messing around.

Tachyon1000
06-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Use the time skip feature especially implemented in PF to address your complaint so that you can pass from waypoint to waypoint faster.

Nimits
06-29-2005, 11:00 PM
1). Dynamic Campaign Generator :http://www.lowengrin.com/download.php I've not used it since the CFS2 days, but it does have a mission distance option, so you can set that low for quick battles.

2) DGen: Enter any mission distance setting in the Conf.ini, either manually by typing "MissionDistance=30" in the [DGen] section or by using IL-2 Stab will make DGen use short range missions with the carriers moved closer to their targets and other carriers (flight distances around 50 miles instead of in the 150 mile range). It doesn't do anything for New Guinea, though; realistically, unless you plop a fictional Japanes base in the middle of the Own Stanleys, there is not much that can be to shorten flight times (just remember, historically alot of the Japanese flights were originating in Lae or even Rabaul, so in this case the design of the New Guinea map works to our "advantage buy forcing the Japanese to use Buna as a base).

Deathsai
06-29-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm having difficulty with the mission generator.

My post is here (http://forums.jg1.org/viewtopic.php?t=10281) if anyone could help.

Bongokid
06-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Deathsai they pretty much answered your question there,

you have to read carefully the readme to use the generator properly. And i'v noticed that it can take several minutes to generate the first career mission when you click 'start'.

what i would try :

launch the IL2DCG
turn off auto generation in the mode menu
create a new campaign using the 'earth' button
set the campaign settings as you like
generate one mission
launch IL2
select a new career and go until just before you press 'start'
go back to IL2 DCG
turn on auto generation
generate one mission
close il2dcg