PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Ubi host their own patches?



Fe4n0r
09-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I just spent a fortune on a full CH HOTAS setup and TrackIR4, and my copy of Pacific Fighers arrived today.

Now I find I've got hundreds of megabytes of patches to download. A pain in the backside, quite frankly, and I don't see why Maddox Games can't provide us with a patch that does everything from scratch. Most other games companies do. I wouldn't care about a single large file as my 2Mb DSL would download that pretty quickly, but lots of files are fiddly and time consuming.

However what really takes the biscuit is having to download from sites like 3d gamers. I paid for the game, I don't expect to have to use a third party to download the patches. It makes what is already an irritating task even more frustrating.

I realise I'm a newbie here and will probably get flamed for this, especially when some people really helped me out when I was looking into what hardware to buy. But sort it out Maddox. If you don't make it easier for new people to buy your software you're going to lose out on sales once the patch list gets so long.

steve_v
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
So much confusion and misinformation. How can it all be contained in one little head without exploding? The part I like is you're making yourself miserable with your own misconceptions. Lets see if we can light a candle, then you'll be able to have your fits based in reality if you choose to do so.

First, UbiSoft provides bandwidth for patches, as does 3DGamers and other sites.

For a merged install, going from 3.0m to 4.04m requires a 451MB file. I know this because I created one from all the previous patches. Its more user friendly to have it in smaller segments. Also, you are coming to the sim at the end of its developement. PF was released almost 2 years ago. We have been getting patches every few months.

Lastly, and this is the most embarrassing, you don't understand that 1C Maddox is the developer, not the publisher. UbiSoft controls distribution and sales, along with copy protection. Here is the latest example concerning Pe-2/4.05m:

Originally posted by Oleg_Maddox:
I have not this UBI BoontyBox program...
We gave normal Install Shield program in selfexcraction mode. While dated April 28, that hasn't prevented the uninformed from piling on.

I think you're really going to enjoy yourself once you get patched and started flying with the new hotas and tir.

MaxMhz
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
FYI Ubi does host the patches. www.patches.ubi.com (http://www.upatches.ubi.com)
You can find a guide how to patch on Airwarfare.com in the FAQ link at the top of the page (click my or any other AW sig to go to AW)

That there are so many might be a nuisance to you, but is a blessing to many others. Many user's connectioons are not fast or even stable. A big file would certainly be a very big nuisance to them - anyway if you want one big file buy "Forgotten Battles Complete Edition" or "Forgotten Battles Ultimate Edition" at the UBI obline store These will bring you to the latest merged versions in one go. You will then not be able to play intermediate versions like 2.04 e.g.

If you only have PF I don't realy understand what your gripe is - you then just need a couple of (free) patches... And you don't need 3dGamers at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
here is a direct link (http://www.airwarfare.com/guides/patching.htm#002)

Fe4n0r
09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
To take your points in reverse - alright, Ubi then. I did say Ubi in the subject line, in case you didn't notice, which frankly makes my overight slightly less "embarassing". But for some reason then switched to Maddox in the post body. If I had thought about it I'd have corrected myself - so, if you'll permit me, I take everything I said about Maddox back and redirect it at Ubi.

I don't see why a single, 451Mb file is a problem on modern broadband. I could set it to download and go to work. This way I have to keep coming back to my PC every 30 mins.

If Ubisoft provide the bandwidth for their patches, then why can't they just host the files themselves?! Seems like a rather poor agument for why I am forced to go through a third party. Frankly, it's more of a non-argument, since the net result is I still have to either wait for hours or pay for something I've already bought - right now I can't get a download slot unless I pay for it. And that's going to happen for each and every patch file I have to download. That's not what I call customer service.

I realise the game has been out for 2 years, which is why I'm willing to put up with downloading such large patche(s). However it needs to be made easier.

I may be a newbie, and I may suffer from a degree of ignorance. That admission, and my command of the English language, should separate me from the average ranting "n00b".
I mean no disrespect, as your post wasn't the flame I was partly expecting, but I don't really see how any of the points you raised affect my central point: that this is poor customer service by whomever is responsible, be it Ubi or (as I incorrectly stated) Maddox.

All that said I'm sure I'll have a great time once I get the game patched http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fe4n0r
09-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Ahh thanks Max, you're a star! To be honest, my gripe was mainly the 3d gamers thing. I would never have posted if that was [edit: not] a problem; but they were linked to from the sticky thread at the top of this forum, and a quick google search didn't show up anything else. Maybe I used the wrong search string.

Anyway, I am more than happy to be proved wrong - thanks for your help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A suggestion to the mods, maybe this link could be added clearly to the stick thread about patches??

mrsiCkstar
09-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm sure there are a couple of people here at the forums who probably have all the patches stored on a backup cd somewhere... you could post a request to get them sent to you via yousendit or msn or even by regular mail or something.

I agree that they could and should offer a single patch to get up to date from scratch but they don't. And I also hate all those 3rd party websites that have servers slower than my growth rate.

However if you had researched maybe a bit more you could have bought the IL2 Complete Edition which comes on a single DVD and it is patched all the way to 4.04m from the install. Then if you'd like you can purchase and download the PE-2 add on.

This last point is purely assuming from my part. If you already knew about the Complete Edition and you just wanted PF stand alone then that's a different matter.

Edit: Ah shi-ite... Max already made all my points http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

MaxMhz
09-12-2006, 03:08 PM
NP m8 - I made an error in the ubi patches link above so here is the correct one : http://patches.ubi.com/ I tried to correct it, but forums seem a bit slow today on my line - not Ubi's fault http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Treetop64
09-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Drama...

You make it sound like downloading patches is difficult or something. Who cares who hosts the patches? The procedure is the same. The only difference might be the hosting server's upload speed.

And is it really that monumentally excruciating to download and install an incremental series of patches and add-ons? Didn't think so...

Besides, not everyone has the benefit of high-speed connections, so downloading a multi-megabyte file would not be practical for them.

Moreover, we've had nOObs with a lesser command of English that had more sensible arguments than yours, so I don't think it was nessesarily wise to state youself in such a manner. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

However, you are correct in that you will have lots of fun once you get the game patched. And that will only be the beginning... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

shinden1974
09-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by steve_v:
So much confusion and misinformation. How can it all be contained in one little head without exploding? The part I like is you're making yourself miserable with your own misconceptions. Lets see if we can light a candle, then you'll be able to have your fits based in reality if you choose to do so.

Unreal. You're a mod? talk about having a fit, this guy moans a little about downloading patches and you grab your sarcastic insult dictionary for the 'noooooobz', I think you just get off on being a jerk.

shinden1974
09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Drama...

You make it sound like downloading patches is difficult or something. Who cares who hosts the patches? The procedure is the same. The only difference might be the hosting server's upload speed.

And is it really that monumentally excruciating to download and install an incremental series of patches and add-ons? Didn't think so...

Besides, not everyone has the benefit of high-speed connections, so downloading a multi-megabyte file would not be practical for them.

Moreover, we've had nOObs with a lesser command of English that had more sensible arguments than yours, so I don't think it was nessesarily wise to state youself in such a manner. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

However, you are correct in that you will have lots of fun once you get the game patched. And that will only be the beginning... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

wow, pile ons too. amazing. who else?

Firebird_79vRAF
09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
~S~

But its all worth it and you will really enjoy the game once you get all the patches dl'd and in place.

Then you can join the rest of us waiting for the next addon. That was expected to be released the 3rd week of June. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Treetop64
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by shinden1974:
wow, pile ons too. amazing. who else?

Who's this guy? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fe4n0r
09-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Drama...

You make it sound like downloading patches is difficult or something. Who cares who hosts the patches? The procedure is the same. The only difference might be the hosting server's upload speed.


Read my post. It is the fact that I have to QUE FOR DOWNLOADS (caps intended) that annoys me. Not the server speed; 30kbps is perfectly adequate.

Originally posted by Treetop64:
And is it really that monumentally excruciating to download and install an incremental series of patches and add-ons? Didn't think so...


I said I would never have posted if downloading a series of patches was my only gripe. It was queing or paying to use a third party service that annoyed me.


Originally posted by Treetop64:
Besides, not everyone has the benefit of high-speed connections, so downloading a multi-megabyte file would not be practical for them.


OK, resisting the temptation to fight fire with fire and be pedantic about your use of "multimegabyte" for a moment... I fail to see why Ubi couldn't host both a combined patch and the individual patches.


Originally posted by Treetop64:
Moreover, we've had nOObs with a lesser command of English that had more sensible arguments than yours, so I don't think it was nessesarily wise to state youself in such a manner. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif


I'm guessing the wink is intended to avoid a full-on broadside for that comment.

Forgive me for anticipating the reaction which I knew would ensue from my comments, and thank you for ensuring I was not disappointed. Perhaps you should go and look up the definition of "n00b" and you will see why the person you describe as a "n00b" is in fact just a newbie. There are two key requirements to being a "n00b" and I will leave Google to enlighten you.


Originally posted by Treetop64:
However, you are correct in that you will have lots of fun once you get the game patched. And that will only be the beginning... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I'm sure I will http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And I hope that these disagreements and this somewhat disagreable start in this forum does not prevent me from having fun with, and contributing to, the online community here.


Originally posted by shinden1974:
Unreal. You're a mod? talk about having a fit, this guy moans a little about downloading patches and you grab your sarcastic insult dictionary for the 'noooooobz', I think you just get off on being a jerk.

Shinden, for this and your other post, I thank you. I was beginning to wonder if the reason for my being misunderstood was more than just misinterpretation. It's good to know that some people here are not such Ubi/Maddox fanboys that they can accept some constructive criticism without getting all worked up!

steve_v
09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Fe4n0r:
If Ubisoft provide the bandwidth for their patches, then why can't they just host the files themselves?! UbiSoft does host the patches. They have a variety of products, and dedicate a homepage to most. Our homepage has two skins, IL-2 Sturmovik http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S2 and Pacific Fighters http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S1 .

In the left column of both pages are links to topic matter covering the sim. At the bottom is Downloads/Game Updates, which takes you here. http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php Included with links to the UbiSoft servers are links to mirrors that also host the patches. When a patch is first released, having the mirrors are great due to the high volume of traffic.

As to the quality of customer service, I leave that for you to decide on your own.

Treetop64
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Dood, I'm never one to shy away from full on broadsides.

Methinks you take me, and yourself, a bit too seriously, though...

Fe4n0r
09-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Oh and in reply to the points about the DVD edition with all the latest patches... I did do a lot of research and found no mention of this, on the PF website or on Amazon or elsewhere. I'm not sure how much research I'm meant to do, as I tend to research things fairly thorougly before I buy them, but perhaps it needs to be made more clear.


Originally posted by steve_v:
UbiSoft does host the patches. They have a variety of products, and dedicate a homepage to most. Our homepage has two skins, IL-2 Sturmovik http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S2 and Pacific Fighters http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/home.php?skin=S1 .

In the left column of both pages are links to topic matter covering the sim. At the bottom is Downloads/Game Updates, which takes you here. http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/updates.php Included with links to the UbiSoft servers are links to mirrors that also host the patches. When a patch is first released, having the mirrors are great due to the high volume of traffic.

As to the quality of customer service, I leave that for you to decide on your own.

Ahh, a constructive post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif When I tried the links they wouldn't work... and when I read the sticky thread about needing to download from 3d gamers, I assumed that Ubi weren't hosting them because they were too old... I don't think that was an unfair assumption considering the above but perhaps it was a little hasty.

No matter, I'm downloading them all from Airwarfare.com now.

As for my comment about customer service, perhaps I should clarify - it makes sense to make life as easy as possible for new customers so as not to put them off. I wasn't clear in this but I wasn't intending to refer to the Maddox/Ubi staff who provide frontline customer service.



I think I run the risk of being further misunderstood. My reason for coming out fighting so strongly here is that I am annoyed that people have made so many unfair assumptions about what I was saying. I think if you re-read my first post you will see that it was not deserving of the reaction it received.

Fe4n0r
09-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Dood, I'm never one to shy away from full on broadsides.

Methinks you take me, and yourself, a bit too seriously, though...

Hmm, sometimes I'm guilty as charged but I can take banter as well as anyone when it's clearly meant in the right spirit, however I don't think I'm the only one who felt that the replies I've had from some people were unecessarily harsh!

Anyway, I don't see any need to labour my point. I'm off to bed now, hopefully the last download or two will be finished by the morning in time for work... further replies to unnecessary flames will be dealt with in the morrow http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ytareh
09-12-2006, 04:25 PM
No two ways about it this guy was treated downright rude by one or two individuals-I dare not name them lest one drunk on his own power slaps me with another ban
OK so the guy could have done a bit more research but are you gonna greet the next person who cant seem to take off from carriers or see through his japanese/Fw190 gunsight with this sort of sarcastic, condescending ignorance.
QUOTE
Moreover, we've had nOObs with a lesser command of English that had more sensible arguments than yours, so I don't think it was nessesarily (HIS SPELLING ERROR!)wise to state youself in such a manner.

QUOTE
So much confusion and misinformation. How can it all be contained in one little head without exploding? The part I like is you're making yourself miserable with your own misconceptions. Lets see if we can light a candle, then you'll be able to have your fits based in reality if you choose to do so.


Poor form guys....Thankfully Max kept the flag flying for the friendly majority here...

-HH-Quazi
09-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Yea. KUDOS MaxMhz m8! And for the oringal poster, welcome to the madness!

smokincrater
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
I'm sure there are a couple of people here at the forums who probably have all the patches stored on a backup cd somewhere... you could post a request to get them sent to you via yousendit or msn or even by regular mail or something.

I agree that they could and should offer a single patch to get up to date from scratch but they don't. And I also hate all those 3rd party websites that have servers slower than my growth rate.

However if you had researched maybe a bit more you could have bought the IL2 Complete Edition which comes on a single DVD and it is patched all the way to 4.04m from the install. Then if you'd like you can purchase and download the PE-2 add on.

This last point is purely assuming from my part. If you already knew about the Complete Edition and you just wanted PF stand alone then that's a different matter.

Edit: Ah shi-ite... Max already made all my points http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I have all the pacthes for the server, pacific fighters standalone and merged install plus one time pacthes for box to 4.04m and 4.04. My E-mail Address is wedgetail501@dodo.com.au (and I WILL NOT BE SENDING OUT 4.05M) please drop us a line and we can discuss getting the pacthes to you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

shinden1974
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shinden1974:
wow, pile ons too. amazing. who else?

Who's this guy? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just some guy who thought you were unfair. nothing personal, I've been unfair in the past, too...ask georgo76, pirschjaeger and faelas (if you're out there, dude, sorry). I just think a new guy should be answered and explained to before the axe is brought out. I'd hate to think this is the way new onliners at hyperlobby are treated.

Treetop64
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Ok. Fine. I'll be big about it.

I was being an @sshole, and I'm sorry. Didn't mean it (being a 'hole, that is).

Besides, it was all Steve's fault! He encouraged me!!

EJGrOst_Caspar
09-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Here is a patch that brings you from PF v3.0m up to v4.04m (should also work from upper than 3.0m versions too).
This is only for the merged game!!!

http://by.sturmovik.de/PFm_Megapatch.zip

You can share it as long as the 'readme' keeps untouched. Its not an official patch from UBI and so UBI gives no garanties to this one (but UBI has given their ok for the idea). Same goes for the provider of this patch. Use it with your own danger!

I used it and it works fine. Instead of 5 you need only one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Fe4n0r
09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Ok. Fine. I'll be big about it.

I was being an @sshole, and I'm sorry. Didn't mean it (being a 'hole, that is).

Besides, it was all Steve's fault! He encouraged me!!

No worries m8, we've all done it... 'nuff said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Smokincrater - You're a good man! However I've finished downloading all the patches now, they were done this morning. One thing though, are you sure you want to openly pubish your email address on a public forum? I really appreciate the thought but I'd hate to see someone have their spamcount triple on account of me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Casper - thanks for that, I might be getting the other games so I can reinstall PF and merge them all, so that will be useful http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And to everyone else, thanks for the welcome and the help! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Worf101
09-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by shinden1974:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve_v:
So much confusion and misinformation. How can it all be contained in one little head without exploding? The part I like is you're making yourself miserable with your own misconceptions. Lets see if we can light a candle, then you'll be able to have your fits based in reality if you choose to do so.

Unreal. You're a mod? talk about having a fit, this guy moans a little about downloading patches and you grab your sarcastic insult dictionary for the 'noooooobz', I think you just get off on being a jerk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's amazing how two people can read the same thing and see two completely different takes. I thought Steve was actually being quite nice and chiding the guy with a "wink" and a "smile". I've seen anti-noob flames and I don't think that was one of em. I didn't get that feeling of smackdown that you did... But hey... that's why they calls it "perspective" I suppose.

Da Worfster

Fe4n0r
09-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
It's amazing how two people can read the same thing and see two completely different takes. I thought Steve was actually being quite nice and chiding the guy with a "wink" and a "smile". I've seen anti-noob flames and I don't think that was one of em. I didn't get that feeling of smackdown that you did... But hey... that's why they calls it "perspective" I suppose.

Da Worfster

Indeed! I guess one man's wit can be another's condescending sarcasm. But hey, as long as we're all adult enough to discuss it then it's all good in the end http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


Incidentally, I still think Ubi could make it a little clearer for newbies. They could link to their own patches as well as 3dgamer's on the patches sticky in this area of the forum. In the patches section of the downloads are of the website they could either link to, or include the information from, the patches sticky. They also need to fix some of the links - the one to pf_303.exe is broken (for me anyway), which is what started this thread off in the first place!
They could also mention something about the availability of the DVD game that includes all 3 games/addons as well as the latest patches, something which I still haven't seen officially published anywhere (not that I've looked much after hearing about it here as it wouldn't be much use to me anymore).
Just some constructive feedback for the Ubi guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Worf101
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Fe4n0r:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
It's amazing how two people can read the same thing and see two completely different takes. I thought Steve was actually being quite nice and chiding the guy with a "wink" and a "smile". I've seen anti-noob flames and I don't think that was one of em. I didn't get that feeling of smackdown that you did... But hey... that's why they calls it "perspective" I suppose.

Da Worfster

Indeed! I guess one man's wit can be another's condescending sarcasm. But hey, as long as we're all adult enough to discuss it then it's all good in the end http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


Incidentally, I still think Ubi could make it a little clearer for newbies. They could link to their own patches as well as 3dgamer's on the patches sticky in this area of the forum. In the patches section of the downloads are of the website they could either link to, or include the information from, the patches sticky. They also need to fix some of the links - the one to pf_303.exe is broken (for me anyway), which is what started this thread off in the first place!
They could also mention something about the availability of the DVD game that includes all 3 games/addons as well as the latest patches, something which I still haven't seen officially published anywhere (not that I've looked much after hearing about it here as it wouldn't be much use to me anymore).
Just some constructive feedback for the Ubi guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh and before I forget... welcome aboard M8 and give this place a chance. You'll find it chock full of friendly, helpfull people who'll go out of their way to help you. I can't tell you how many times Foolttottel and other's have saved my bacon from turning extra crispy.

Da Worfster

x6BL_Brando
09-13-2006, 01:59 PM
I can't tell you how many times Foolttottel and other's have saved my bacon from turning extra crispy.

Hey Worf http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't think your testimonial would be complete without mentioning Steve_v's very honourable record in helping folks through their problems getting the game (and frequently their PCs) to run. There's literally hundreds of us who owe him (and others of course) a huge debt of gratitude for his (and their) dedicated, unpaid support.

So an old hand gets a bit sarky when a new fella comes into a 6-7 year-old sim and mouths off about how things oughta be - well, big deal, eh? After all, there's a Community Help page where anyone can post and find out anything they need to know. Does anyone think that all 7900 of Steve's posts have been put-downs of the inexperienced? No is the emphatic answer, yet we have some 300 post guy ripping in with veiled references to the man as a jerk.

Always the same old 'power-crazed mods' nonsense from the people who can't see that these unpaid people run a very tight ship for OUR benefit, not theirs. It's us who oughta cut THEM some slack.

B.

shinden1974
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:

Hey Worf http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't think your testimonial would be complete without mentioning Steve_v's very honourable record in helping folks through their problems getting the game (and frequently their PCs) to run. There's literally hundreds of us who owe him (and others of course) a huge debt of gratitude for his (and their) dedicated, unpaid support.

So an old hand gets a bit sarky when a new fella comes into a 6-7 year-old sim and mouths off about how things oughta be - well, big deal, eh? After all, there's a Community Help page where anyone can post and find out anything they need to know. Does anyone think that all 7900 of Steve's posts have been put-downs of the inexperienced? No is the emphatic answer, yet we have some 300 post guy ripping in with veiled references to the man as a jerk.

Always the same old 'power-crazed mods' nonsense from the people who can't see that these unpaid people run a very tight ship for OUR benefit, not theirs. It's us who oughta cut THEM some slack.

B.

I guess your referring to me. what's the cut off post count to where you get treated like your an actual human f'ing being...2486? 300 post guy? ...what's that, second class internet citizen?

I didn't use a 'veiled' reference, I said it directly. You can also refer to me directly as well, I assume you're some version of grown, there's nothing to be scared of.

Worf has convinced me I should apologize to steve...since everyone is starting to get along, but here you are to the rescue...yeah, making an actual veiled reference to being stupid to a newbie stranger (little head exploding...HARHAR!) is cute and elbow in the chest affection! Try that on a large stranger you see in the street and let me know how your face feels after he's done pounding on it.

Now I know. If I don't want steve and blahblah_brando to get 'sarky' since the've been lounging around here for many years I better get my post count up with constant 'agreed's, faces and signs. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

shinden1974
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
steve,

I'm sorry, you're a jerk to some people but you are great to so many others and in my calculator that makes you an all around good guy with somewhat okay customer service. May you live long and prosper mantis dude!

let's all hug...except brando http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

shinden1974
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by shinden1974:
steve,

I'm sorry, you're a jerk to some people but you are great to so many others and in my calculator that makes you an all around good guy with somewhat okay customer service. May you live long and prosper mantis dude!

let's all hug...except brando http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

whoops other way around...somewhat okay guy with great customer service...how can I keep all this confusion in my little head without exploding?!

306 and counting...

Weather_Man
09-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Glad you got the patches worked out (BTW, try www.gamershell.com (http://www.gamershell.com) in the future).

Seeing as how the issue was resolved, can we lock this now?

Fe4n0r
09-14-2006, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
Hey Worf http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't think your testimonial would be complete without mentioning Steve_v's very honourable record in helping folks through their problems getting the game (and frequently their PCs) to run. There's literally hundreds of us who owe him (and others of course) a huge debt of gratitude for his (and their) dedicated, unpaid support.

So an old hand gets a bit sarky when a new fella comes into a 6-7 year-old sim and mouths off about how things oughta be - well, big deal, eh? After all, there's a Community Help page where anyone can post and find out anything they need to know. Does anyone think that all 7900 of Steve's posts have been put-downs of the inexperienced? No is the emphatic answer, yet we have some 300 post guy ripping in with veiled references to the man as a jerk.

Always the same old 'power-crazed mods' nonsense from the people who can't see that these unpaid people run a very tight ship for OUR benefit, not theirs. It's us who oughta cut THEM some slack.

B.

Your post starts off well and ends abismally. If Steve has helped such vast numbers of people in the past, then I agree we should cut him some slack, and I have no problem with your testimonial to all that effort he has put into helping people in the past. Mind you, that doesn't mean I shouldn't say anything if he says stuff I don't agree with. He's only human, but so am I and I have a right to stand up for myself, whether or not he's a grizzled veteran and I'm a "mere newbie".

Without wanting to repeat what Shinden rightly said, in the last half of your post you have waded into what had gone from an unpleasant argument to some mutual understanding and reconciliation and you've just dug up stuff that has further annoyed people like myself. Your claim that the more posts someone has the more rights they have is absolutely outrageous, and is an attitude that, in real life, belongs in first half of the 20th Century.
If new and/or young people were prevented from suggesting new ideas then we would still be living in the Dark Ages. This arrogant, cliquey attitude that permeats many forums really gets my goat.

And by the way, I wasn't talking about IL2 which was released 6-7 years ago, I was talking about Pacific Fighers. Forgive this mere newbie for correcting a grizzled veteran, but PF was a standalone product that was released much more recently.

These pointless arguments have dragged on for long enough though. If the mods want to lock this thread, there will be no complaints from me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oh and Worfster et al - I'm not the type of guy to jump to conclusions, I've used other forums long enough not to judge an entire community by one experience so no worries on that account http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Flying_Nutcase
09-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Welcome to a rioteously awesome game/sim Fe4n0r. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Interminate
09-14-2006, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steve_v:
So much confusion and misinformation. How can it all be contained in one little head without exploding?

QUOTE]

Why don't you spare us your snotty little comments. Maybe you should find another hobby.