PDA

View Full Version : what a great weekend...

deskpilot
07-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Tomas (my son ) and I went to Duxford for the first time on Friday and Saturday. Perfect day, Tom's favourite p38 was there as well as so many other great planes. to see 3 spits taking off in line abreast was really something too, and the balbo big formation at the end... I know lots of you guys will have been there probably many times but it was our first time and it lived up to expectations. so much to admire, the history, sacrifice, skill, feats of engineering, and the joy of flying. we were right up against the fence in front of the taxi way, and to be so close was fantastic. Really nice crowd of people too. Needless to say we are hoping to get there next year. It was well worth the sunburnt face! Sorry we missed you danger dogz.

danjama
07-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I cannot approve of your post more! Great to hear the effect Legends has on newcomers - it truly is spectacular. Also met some lovely people - including the people on the market stalls and the actors. So many kind faces and acts of kindness. I really hope you pass on your compliments directly to TFC or Duxford, so that they know people appreciate what they do.

I was there today, took my girlfriend along and she loved it too. It was a bit sad, with the loss of Big Beautiful Doll right at the end, but the day was spectacular up to that point. So meticulous, and as you say, a true feat in planning and organising.

I plan to upload a selection of my photographs tomorrow, some are really great (others not so much, those i'll keep to myself).

The weather was perfect today too - rain clouds all around, but they seemed to avoid the aerodrome.

Steohen Gray's Bearcat display was excellent, right at the end. My favourite had to be the B17/2xP51 display, brief but fulfilling.

deskpilot
07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Just read about big beautiful doll and the skyraider. so sad but what a relief that no-one was hurt.
It's the one thing I dread about air shows.

danjama
07-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Here's one of my favourite photographs from the Sunday!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6002/5925540287_931eea6488_b.jpg