PDA

View Full Version : sitting on the fence

trident42
01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I just can't seem to decide what is better, the type IX or the type VII. yes the type type IX has longer range and more torpedos, but then the type VII can dive quicker and i think looks nicer and hell, its just plain famous thanks to Das Boot.

Can anyone give me any reason to go one way or the other? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

paulhager
01-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by trident42:
I just can't seem to decide what is better, the type IX or the type VII. yes the type type IX has longer range and more torpedos, but then the type VII can dive quicker and i think looks nicer and hell, its just plain famous thanks to Das Boot.

Can anyone give me any reason to go one way or the other? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

I recently went back to the Type IX and have been using it for my Murmansk patrols. Since I haven't had to worry about allied aircraft, that hasn't been a problem.

I don't think the difference in dive times is decisively in favor of the VII over the IX.

The biggest differences are:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> a Type IX typically gets PZ assignments much farther away from base than a Type VII;
<LI> the VII-C/4 conning tower minus the deck gun is a better configuration if you have to deal with aircraft.
[/list]

Bullet one isn't a problem if you don't mind reading a book while your boat crosses the Atlantic.

Bullet two does argue for the VII-C because of the U-Flank configuration. which is better for dealing with air strikes.

Foehammer-1
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
I'd say stick with the VIIb or VIIc. If you want to avoid loooong patrols, get yourself the big boat, and then transfer to the Mediterranean. Your first mission it will tell you to go into the atlantic, which we know is suicide, since you have to cross Gibraltar. Just go on a hunt and come home. the next mission will be somewhere in the Mediterranean. But, if you do get close to Gibraltar, make sure you are a good shot with the Flak guns, since those planes are gonna murder you.

Jose.MaC
01-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Foehammer-1 is right. If you do the ratio "time to and from patrol zone" divided between tonnage, you'll get the better one with the VII. So keep your old trusty VIIb until aircraft became too dangerous, and then change to a VIIc or better, a XXI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

J_Weaver
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm currently on my third patrol in a IX. So far the patrols have been long and the rewards tonnage fairly small. My best so far has been about 40K over the course of a month(in game). However, in my old VIIB I had bagged 60k in two weeks. So far I've found that once you get out of the waters around England things start slowing down. I did magange to find a convoy on the atlatic side of Gibraltar. however, it still October 41, so maybe once the US gets involved and I can head to the US coast action will pik up.

Tontoman666
01-18-2006, 06:18 PM
I like the extra torps the IX have, I just now ignore the patrol orders that send me into the boonies.

It's not as if there's any change in the overall campaign (winning or losing the war etc.) for not going to your patrol sector, you don't even get an angry letter from the boss. There's zero added gameplay emersion (imo) for following orders since they didn't code anything that gives it depth (just like the BDU comms 'be more aggressive' 'keep up the good work'.. yeah) and any renown hit you take you get back with the time you save.

T.