PDA

View Full Version : Joystick help.

Rrats17
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I am new to Pacific Fighters and flight sims. Here is my problem: When I am flying in the SBD I find the plane is pulling constantly to the right and slightly up. The other planes do not show this drastic rightward pull but they do tend to drift that way. What could be the problem? I am using a Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick. As far as I can tell it is calibarted correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rrats17
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I am new to Pacific Fighters and flight sims. Here is my problem: When I am flying in the SBD I find the plane is pulling constantly to the right and slightly up. The other planes do not show this drastic rightward pull but they do tend to drift that way. What could be the problem? I am using a Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless joystick. As far as I can tell it is calibarted correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JG52Uther
12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
If you open up 'controls' when at the start screen and scroll down till you see 'trim' settings (elevator,rudder,aeleron).Try playing around with these

Rrats17
12-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I am still having problems with it. I have been able to correct it slightly by screwing around with the settings.

I have checked my config. for the stick and it seems centered. I can't imagine why that plane pulls to the left soooo bad. It almost makes it impossible to fly.

Do you have any other ideas???

Tully__
12-28-2004, 08:35 PM
All single engine propellor aircraft have a tendancy to roll slightly left or right in response to engine torque and in this game the SBD has this effect more strongly than most. I don't recall if the SBD has aileron trim, but if it does you can mostly negate the effect.

When using trim you have to be aware that it responds slowly. This post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=3481017842&r=2291047842#2291047842) in another thread describes how trim responds to keyboard or slider controls.

You need to remember that WW2 aircraft didn't have advanced automatic pilot and pilot aid features like modern aircraft do. The pilots had to retrim their aircraft a lot and actively fly them all the way from takeoff to target and back. While some of the aircraft would maintain straight level flight for maybe up to a minute without correction, none except a few of the larger bombers had any autopilot at all and even in those it was very primitive. In all the other aircraft the pilot had to constantly pay attention to keeping the aircraft flying in the direction he or she wanted.

Rrats17
12-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the help Tully!