PDA

View Full Version : Japanese paint schemes during Midway battle?

CapStratos
11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I know the paintshceme used by USN, USAAC fighters and bombers from the battle of Midway, but have no idea of the Japanese side, can someone tell me the "general scheme" used by Japanese fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers during the battle please?
Thanks

scaredycat1
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
You will probly have more luck if you post your question here....

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/45410763

horseback
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Working off memory here, but IJN carrier groups were differentiated by tail markings: mostly horizontal stripes with the color, number of stripes and so on designating which carrier and numbers designating aircraft type.

Most were apparently painted the IJN light grey (different from IJA light grey-a source of profit for model paint manufacturers), although I believe that the Kate torpedo bombers in some cases were painted dark green or a dark mottle to help obscure them against the sea (these types usually flew at lower alts especially in the approach to their targets).

Some American pilots mentioned that they saw green and 'yellow' painted Zeros as well, but this may be a mistaken conflation with the Kates and in the case of the 'yellow' that may have been a result of the weathering of the clear overcoat applied to the Zero's basic light grey which was noted as 'yellower' than the IJAAF's light grey.

Squadron/Signal's A6M Zero 'In Action' book has a good section specifically on Pearl Harbor markings and carrier group markings and camo in general; they may still cost under 10 bucks at your local hobby store.

cheers

horseback

Saburo_0
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
If you want details post at the J-aircraft forums. I remember reading an article about the paint on Zero's (vaguely lol) At least some were painted not so much in a light gray but in a mix of light gray and very light tan, is how I'd describe it. That could explain reports of yellow Zekes as the light hitting the light tan paint could look yellow IMHO. Will see if I can come up with a color sample, tho i think some of the skinners have already done this paint job so might be best to check in that forum.
Cheers

CapStratos
11-17-2009, 12:26 AM
What I found at the moment, is that both Kate's and Val's used a green cammo paint scheme, while the Zero used a combination of grey and that tan you're talking about. Will post the same question at J-Aircraft forum. Thanks for the help!