PDA

View Full Version : how fast of an internet connection?

TJW1958
02-07-2010, 08:33 PM
How fast of an internet connection do you need to run this game. Will performance suffer if your connection is slow? Ubi more info on this subject would be helpful

tambor198
02-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by TJW1958:
How fast of an internet connection do you need to run this game. Will performance suffer if your connection is slow? Ubi more info on this subject would be helpful

I'm just guessing and can be proven wrong but I think that no specifics have been given yet.

Magic452
02-07-2010, 11:58 PM
If you are going to upload and download save files I would think a minimum DSL connection.
The slower the connection the slower the up and down loading will be.

The game is on your computer so the internet connection should not have any effect on it.

Magic

Wolfvram_2nd
02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
According to the ubi store all it says is high speed. All I can assume that to mean is DSL, but dom't know what speed DSL.

Bear in mind Ubi may not actually know yet!

When I asked what the bandwidth requirement was they didn't know!

WhiteKnight77
02-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Wolfvram_2nd:
According to the ubi store all it says is high speed. All I can assume that to mean is DSL, but dom't know what speed DSL.

DSL can be from around 700bps to 1.5mbps to more than 6mbps.

Wolfvram_2nd
02-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolfvram_2nd:

DSL can be from around 700bps to 1.5mbps to more than 6mbps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I know, unfortunately different places call different speeds "fast".

In the UK, for example, on normal BT lines 8mbps is fast dsl, on cable 20mbps is fast dsl, and to some companies 700bps is fast internet.

I have no idea what other countries consider fast.

BTOG46
02-08-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't know yet what the connection requirements for SH5 will be, but the requirements of Settlers 7 are out, and that's using the new DRM.:

Singleplayer mode: 33.6 kBit/s upstream
Multiplayer mode: 128 kBit/s upstream

I don't know if that sp upload speed will be pretty much the same for all games that will be using the DRM, so this may only give you a rough idea of what to expect.

kapitan-holmann
02-08-2010, 11:32 AM
quote in this matter by ubisoft;
"Will customers need to upgrade their Internet connection to broadband speed?
No. We've made sure that the game is playable even with the lowest (A)DSL connections."

Andritsos
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
BTW BTOG46 are there any beta left for someone like me? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif a user from ITALY?
PM me
It will be a good year for RTS game this one

BTOG46
02-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry, the S7 beta is over now, it ended on the 3rd of February.

Andritsos
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
ok.. wasnt never lucky with betas..never had one..I would like a lot to give my feedback ...

However do u know an average download time of SH savings with an average o slow ADSL connection?
i hope wont pass the 1.30 min

However bad thing that you lose your saves when ubi serves wont work. If there can be done be UBI before shuting down leave something like a patch that leave player free with no internet up to their scheduled time

BTOG46
02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
The game still saves to your hard disc, the online saves are a backup, and possibly also part of the DRM, as the game synchronises the saves on the server with the ones on your hard disc, and in the S7 beta, synchronising only took a few seconds, and there was even an option to start the game before the synchronising was finished, presumably it would finish in the background while the game loaded.

uniquewave
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
If the saves are the only thing that requires the internet connection, then why do we have to use it? If it's on the Hard Drive to than it's just a waste of time and data. The only other thing that I can think of is that they would check your game when you install it, and probably everytime you load it up, which would probably be hacked quickly.

grimgard
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
You wont need a fast connection because you will be playing the game from your Hard Drive not some server. The internet connection is for the DRM to check and make sure you have a payed for copy of the game.

If you plan on playing the multiplayer part ofthe game then you would need a fast connection or you will notice internet lag.

TJW1958
02-10-2010, 03:47 PM
thank you that is the best news Ive heard. maybe there is hope for us wireless connected soles after all.

WhiteKnight77
02-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Wolfvram_2nd:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolfvram_2nd:

DSL can be from around 700bps to 1.5mbps to more than 6mbps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the UK, for example, on normal BT lines 8mbps is fast dsl, on cable 20mbps is fast dsl, and to some companies 700bps is fast internet.

I have no idea what other countries consider fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do not confuse DSL which is provided by the phone company with cable internet which is provided by a cable company. My 6mbps DSL connection is fast. My neighbors all have a cable internet connection that is somewhere in that neighborhood speed wise and they all complain of it being slower (due to cable connections being shared by all the neighbors).

WhiteKnight77
02-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by grimgard:
You wont need a fast connection because you will be playing the game from your Hard Drive not some server. The internet connection is for the DRM to check and make sure you have a paid for copy of the game.

If you plan on playing the multiplayer part ofthe game then you would need a fast connection or you will notice internet lag.

Wolfvram_2nd
02-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WhiteKnight77:

I have no idea what other countries consider fast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do not confuse DSL which is provided by the phone company with cable internet which is provided by a cable company. My 6mbps DSL connection is fast. My neighbors all have a cable internet connection that is somewhere in that neighborhood speed wise and they all complain of it being slower (due to cable connections being shared by all the neighbors). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alot of cable ISPs over here offer fibre optic broadband, whilst still calling it cable, which does given much higher speeds than traditional copper phone line based stuff.

All connections are shared, its one of the things to check into when selecting an ISP as some share your connection across many more people than others do, and as more people use the same bulk connection yes the speeds do drop.

TJW1958
02-23-2010, 10:43 PM
does anyone know if wireless will work with game

shockboy2000
02-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Wireless router sharing your dsl or cable connection in your house, or wireless via usb 3g / hsdpa modem ?

TJW1958
02-24-2010, 06:34 AM
verizon wireless with modem for one pc

DKM2
02-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Different game, but something like this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTZTzsYoZs
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Raptor22ADF
02-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I have the "US standard" of stated 1.5mbps, which means it's more like 1.2mbps on the average (or a bit less).

Been trying to get Earthlink to jack it up, but AT&T people are only showing up to sell me U-verse rather than boost my DSL -- there's something fishy there, but I don't know who to talk to.

The FCC's plan to considerably speed everyone's connection couldn't come too soon ...

TJW1958
02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
If I buy this game and I can not play will ubi refund my money. Makes you wonder who is the pirates.

TJW1958
03-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I will ask again, How fast of a connection do you need to have. If you use a wireless connections and are limited to 5 gig per month how long before you use it up

gvogt
03-06-2010, 12:48 PM
More than 4.0 Mbps. I'm running it on this and it is super slow!

SeamanStaines
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by TJW1958:
I will ask again, How fast of a connection do you need to have. If you use a wireless connections and are limited to 5 gig per month how long before you use it up

just for laughs (cause my gaming PC is in transit from overseas and being in temp accomodation at the moment i'm using 3g internet)... i put SH5 on my laptop (2.2ghz/2GBram/256mb radeon hd2600/win7 ultimate) last night and was surprised it ran ok (graphics turned down and only at 1280x800).

i wont hold my breath it will run again tonight though, most 3g internet providers in oz have frequent disconnections in the evenings.
So a 1MB internet connection is sufficient.

As far as how much it uses each second/hour...what tools (free or included with win7) can monitor that?

TJW1958
03-09-2010, 07:43 PM
is anybody using a wireless internet connection say on a laptop

SeamanStaines
03-10-2010, 04:45 AM
yes

Sbygneus
03-10-2010, 05:03 AM
I have a medicore quality radio internet connection and there are no significant problems with playing the game.

ThvndurKvnt
03-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I use a wireless connection, and have very low signal strength, I have yet to experience any of these "save game lost" "unable to connect" errors

The few people here are complaining about, they must have either really really crapy internet connections, or an old comp.

The only issues I've encountered have been some visual effects bugs

mrweed
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ThvndurKvnt:
I use a wireless connection, and have very low signal strength, I have yet to experience any of these "save game lost" "unable to connect" errors

The few people here are complaining about, they must have either really really crapy internet connections, or an old comp.

The only issues I've encountered have been some visual effects bugs
try using something like this. it will boost the signals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...N6T4&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3sq2b-N6T4&feature=related)