PDA

View Full Version : Gathering of Mustangs and Legends AirShow UPDATE 4/7

VFS-22_SPaRX
03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
From the Gathering of Mustangs & Legends (http://www.gml2007.com/index.asp) website.......

The Gathering of Mustangs & Legends
"A Once in a Lifetime Aviation Celebration"

September 27 - 30, 2007
Rickenbacker International Airport (LCK)
Columbus, OH

The world-leader in P-51 Mustang operations, Stallion 51 Corporation, in association with Columbus Regional Airport Authority will be hosting one of this century's greatest aviation celebrations!

The Gathering of Mustangs & Legends is happening ONCE AGAIN!!!
Mark your calendars for September 27 - 30, 2007 for 4-days of fun-filled flying with the P-51 Mustangs and their friends.

The 1999 Gathering of Mustangs & Legends was termed as one of the great aviation events of the 20th Century. Held in Kissimmee, FL at Stallion 51, it amassed 65 Mustangs and 12 Legends for a weekend of flying, fun and old-fashion story telling by the present day owners and the real life experts that flew the Mustang into battle. The first Gathering only wetted the appetite for more and giving hope that there would be another.

<span class="ev_code_yellow">Over 100 Mustangs are expected to attend along with 51 Legends who will be an array of Aces, crew chiefs, WASP's and others who were part of the P-51 family.</span>They will reunite at the historic Rickenbacker Int'l Airport (LCK) in September 2007, which will be celebrating its birthday of 65 years in rich aviation history.

LCK opened in 1942 as Lockbourne Army Air Base and served as a glider and B-17 training facility as well as being home to the 332nd FW of the famous Tuskegee Airmen. In 1974 the base was renamed Rickenbacker Air Force Base in honor of Columbus native, WWI Ace and Congressional Medal of Honor winner; Eddie Rickenbacker.

Marking the Mustangs 65th year in combat history, there are only approximately one percent of the original 15,868 Mustangs flying today; the majority of those planes will be at the Gathering in September 2007. As rare as the P-51 has become, the great veterans of WWII are even rarer. This is what the event is all about - these men and women - to reunite them together again: to Honor, to Thank, to Hear their stories one more time.

In addition to celebrating the history of the P-51 Mustang and Legends, we will also feature a World-Class Air Show celebrating Air Force Heritage past and present. WWII fighters that flew with and against each other such as the P-40, P-63, P-47, P-38, ME-109, FW-190, and Spitfire are expected to be in attendance along with some of the country's top Air Show Performers at this incredible aviation celebration!

Please join us in celebrating this Once in a Lifetime Event that you won't want to miss!

TICKET information will be available on the website in the near future so check back soon.

This looks to be an event not to miss if you are a Mustang fan.

So here is what I am thinking. How about turning this into an Event Weekend? If there is enough interest, I will look into getting Hotel Accomidations, setting up meals, and planning extra activities. We can look into maybe getting some guest speakers. I can contact some vendors and see about getting door prizes and raffle prizes. Plus a chance to put a face to all these callsigns and hang out with them for the weekend.

You can bet your life savings that I will be attending this show. :wave:

Anyone interested?

claypidgon
03-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes this is something to not miss..We are affiliated with the real 352ndFG and we have been invited to attend.I belive some are going I cant afford it..I would love to see it..

CUJO_1970
03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Holy smokes, are they serous about a FW190 being there???

Which one I wonder...

HARRIER_401
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Yes will be there for sure. Make sure you have a couple of days to tour the Air Force Museum while you are in Ohio.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

BillyTheKid_22
03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
http://www.gml2007.com/_media/_gallery/272459537_6f71f5d74c_o.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif LoL!!!

FatBoyHK
03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
although I am very unlikely to be able join (live at another side of the world http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ) I am extremely interested in it and would like to see it happen. Mod can we make it sticky?

FA_IKKYO
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
I am encouraging all FA members to attend. I am planning on attending this seeing how its only 8 hrs away.

VFS-22_SPaRX
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Here is what I am thinking for this weekend.

Friday Sept 28th

Arrival to Hotel all day. If some arrive early enough maybe go over to the airfield and take in some of the practice sessions. A lot of times you can get a little more "personal" interaction with the plane owners and pilots on this day.

5:00 pm Dinner and Meet and Greet

After dinner Activities

Saturday Sept 29th

6:00 am - Breakfast

7:30 am - Depart to Airfield

There will be no lunch planned. We can possible look at doing something for this, but I am not planning on doing a lunch. I am sure there will be plenty of places to pick up a "DOG" to eat while looking at all these WarBirds.

6:00 pm - Return to Hotel

7:00 pm - Dinner

After Dinner activities

Sunday Sept 30th

8:00 am - Breakfast

After Breakfast people start departing for home. If you want to stick around and BS about the Weekends events, that will be up the individuals

Some Ideas for activities after the two dinners
(these will depend on how many we have in attendance... the more people that commit to this, the better chance I have to get stuff lined up.

1. Vendor Presentations = CH products? Saitek? Natural Point?

2. Guest Speakers. I can contact that Mustang association and see if we might be able to get pilots or plane owners to come by for a meet and greet.

3. Find a Local Pub and "shoot the ****" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Other ideas?????

What I am shooting for is total cost for the weekend ( NOT INCLUDING TRAVEL EXPENSES ) to be around $100-120 US. This will include.....

2 nights Dual Occupancy Hotel Room ( you will have a roommate for the weekend )
2 Breakfasts
2 Dinners
1 General Admission Ticket to Air show for Saturday

We could also look into getting Flight Line Box seats. They are $550 for a 10 person box. That would increase the price from $100-120 to $135-155 ( General Admission is $20, Box Seat is $55 ). If we are going to consider this, I would like it to be everyone doing it. I would like to see us stick together as a group.

FlightLine Box Tickets include:

Reserved seats in front of Grandstands
Enter and Exit area as often as you like
Boxed Lunch with Beverage included
Soft drinks and water
Event Souvenir Program - with adult ticket only

There are only 30 boxes available, so if this is something to consider, we would need to do so pretty fast to get tickets.

Anyone interested in attending something like this?

FA_IKKYO
03-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Sparx's,are we will be trying to setup a Lan party also? That would top off the event nicely. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
03-27-2007, 08:59 PM
I dunno Ikky. I think that will be too much. Friday would be tough to do. Someone would have to get there really early to setup. Saturday, who is gonna wanna get all that together, I wanna see PLANES! Then we got to look at getting all the hardware needed.

I mean, if someone wants to set it up, sure. I can look into getting the needed room for it. But I am not really interested in setting it up myself.

PF_Coastie
03-28-2007, 05:03 AM
I would love to be there and will try very hard to make it. 8-10 hours from Norfolk, Va.

I agree that a LAN party would be a blast, but it would be a logistical nightmare. Without commercial sponsorship, I don't see this happening.

Maybe someone could contact Ubisoft or 1C about this as a Gathering for BoB/SOW since they may have a Beta or Alpha out by then!

VFS-22_SPaRX
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Bump

FA_IKKYO
03-29-2007, 04:38 PM
Bump! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-01-2007, 11:58 AM
bump

flox
04-01-2007, 01:18 PM
This is right across town from me, so if nothing else I'll be at the show for sure!

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-07-2007, 08:27 PM
*** UPDATE ***

I contacted a girl my Grandmother works with when she sets up her Trips for AARP. Gave her some basic info on what we were looking for. She got back to me Thrusday. Well, let me just start off by saying that this Airshow is BIGGER then I thought it was going to be. She informed me that just about EVERY hotel in Columbus has been booked for this weekend and has been for the last 8-12 months. She called some of here "contacts" and did not have much luck there as well. She even contacted the Columbus Chamber of Commerce and they pretty much told her the same thing, "There is a Big Airshow that weekend, all of our hotels have been booked for almost a year".

So I asked her what was the next step. She is now looking in the outskirts of Columbus for some hotel space. Most of the hotels in and around Columbus are jacking their rates up because of this Airshow. I asked her for some estimted costs on the rooms and she told me that we will be lookin at $80-100 a night for a double occupancy room.

So here is the deal. If you want to go to this, I need you to let me know in the next week or so. I need some hard numbers so we can secure some rooms. At this time, all I am going to be concerned with is securing Hotel Rooms and Airshow Tickets. We will look at food and such at a later date.

So right now, we are looking at $100-$120 for Hotel (2 nights) and General Admision Ticket. Arrival in Columbus Friday Sept 28th. Airshow Saturday Sept 29th. Departure Sunday Sept 30th.

If you want to go, please send an email to airshow(at)war-clouds.com. In the email, let me know how many will be coming with you. If you would like to stay additional nights, let me know as well in your email and I will have Kathy check into this as well. I myself plan on going down Early Friday morning to take in the practice sessions and such. If you want to do this, please understand that you will have to purchase another days ticket at $20.

Hope to see some of you there. I think this will be one of those "Once in a Life Time" events, especially if you are a Mustang fan. I surely am not going to miss it

FatBoyHK
04-08-2007, 10:36 AM
bump!

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-14-2007, 12:01 PM
This is the last time I will post in this forum about this show. If you are interested in going to the airshow and would like to be part of the group of us going, please refer to these posts in the WarClouds Forums.

Info on the show and what we are planning:
http://www.war-clouds.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19969#19969

List of people attending:
http://www.war-clouds.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2250

Just to give you guys a little more info on this show. There is supposed to be 100+ resorted and flying P51 Mustangs at this Airshow. Also, the following WW2 Pilots are supposed to be in attendance as well:

Chuck Yeager
Bud Anderson
Bill Anders
Frank Borman
Robin Olds
Bob Hoover
Lee Archer
Buck Patillo
Bill Patillo
Donald Straight
Ken Dalhberg
Clayton Kelly Gross

More info can be found at the link I provided at the start of this thread.

Hope to see some of you guys attend the show. This is probably going to be a once in a life time show.

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-14-2007, 03:07 PM
OK, So I lied. One more post.

I just reserved 15 rooms for the show. 8 of these rooms are already taken. I can get more if needed. They are rooms with 2 beds. I can also get some rooms with 1 bed if you do not want a roomate. But you will have to pay the entire room yourself.

Cost: 41.99 + tax per night (This is PER ROOM). So this will be ~$25 per night per person in a dual bed room.

If you are interested, please join in the discussion in the forums threads I linked above.

T_O_A_D
04-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Man I want to go, but not sure if I can swing it.

Not so much the money as it is available time.

I've already committed to several things this year already.

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Time is always yours. It's always a matter of how you want to spend that time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
04-15-2007, 05:20 AM
I'd love to make it.. I am in Northern Va. ..I'll have to see how thew money falls over the next month or so.. of course.... but I'm down for it.

VFS-22_SPaRX
04-15-2007, 12:46 PM
=PF=Coastie and =PF=Frag are coming up from the Carolina Bearcat. Maybe you could hook up with them?

Bearcat99
04-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Perhaps... 99th Obsidian may be coming withme he lives in N Va. and 99th_Smoggy & 99th_Patches may shoot down from The Motor City.. and 99th_Papy_Toa may come in from Canada.. Possibly 99th_Worf & 99th_Swivet from N.Y. and 99th_Flyby is almos6t a shoe in.. I think he lives in Columbus.. or near there.

MrMojok
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Sparx, I sent you an e-mail about this but I want to get it in this thread in case you look here first.

I want to do this with you guys. I would be bringing someone with me. Flying in Friday, leaving Sunday. Do you have any rooms left out of the block you reserved?

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Just thought I would bump this thread as I see some people are posting about the show. If you are interested in hanging out with a bunch of WW2 geeks, then let me know and I will add ya to our list.

We have about +/-20 going right now. I got some rooms reserved at Motel6. details in links in my above post.

SPaRX

Bearcat99
06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Well I think it is pretty certain that 99th_Obsidian & myself will be there.. and possible several other members of the 99th... For me this is a once in a lifetime thing.. it is priceless... something that I will not be able to do again...

ElAurens
06-04-2007, 10:06 PM
One way or another I'll be there.

I live about 2 hours from Columbus.

Did you know they are planning on putting all 100 P51s up at one time each day?

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif