PDA

View Full Version : WWII P-38 Glacier Girl firing her 20mm cannon

DIRTY-MAC
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3316529261715180734&q=ww2+gov

Frequent_Flyer
07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Imagine the devastation firing 4X.50 and the 20mm into that drum. Poor soul who ever was on the receving end of that. Thanks for sharing.

Stackhouse25th
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
yeah 20mm is underpowered fo sure!

Esel1964
07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for sharing. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
And some people think old ammo's worthless,pffftt. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

FritzGryphon
07-24-2006, 11:07 PM
And some people think old ammo's worthless,pffftt

It is. A modern 20mm round would be guided by a laser, use radar to detonate a set distance from the target, and scatter 200 fin stabilized flechettes that would neatly cut the barrel in half, then self-destruct to avoid any collateral damage to penguins or polar bears, or snow.

Stackhouse25th
07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And some people think old ammo's worthless,pffftt

It is. A modern 20mm round would be guided by a laser, use radar to detonate a set distance from the target, and scatter 200 fin stabilized flechettes that would neatly cut the barrel in half, then self-destruct to avoid any collateral damage to penguins or polar bears, or snow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I nominate you for general of the forums

Esel1964
07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And some people think old ammo's worthless,pffftt

It is. A modern 20mm round would be guided by a laser, use radar to detonate a set distance from the target, and scatter 200 fin stabilized flechettes that would neatly cut the barrel in half, then self-destruct to avoid any collateral damage to penguins or polar bears, or snow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah,there's always progress.
The point was;I've heard many people(IRL-not game related) act like old ammo was faulty.
The vid proves that false,not only was the ammo 50 yr. old @ the time (crashed '42,recovered '92),but it came from under 268' of glacier.

Obviously,today's tech is superior-but I'm not going to stand in front of the gun firing the ammo you deem 'worthless'.

Dew-Claw
07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Esel1964:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

The point was;I've heard many people(IRL-not game related) act like old ammo was faulty.
The vid proves that false,not only was the ammo 50 yr. old @ the time (crashed '42,recovered '92),but it came from under 268' of glacier.

Obviously,today's tech is superior-but I'm not going to stand in front of the gun firing the ammo you deem 'worthless'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a break!
Obviously the barrel is undermodeled

Esel1964
07-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Dew-Claw:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Esel1964:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FritzGryphon:

Obviously,today's tech is superior-but I'm not going to stand in front of the gun firing the ammo you deem 'worthless'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give me a break!
Obviously the barrel is undermodeled </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg's fault. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Chuck_Older
07-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Esel1964:

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Actually, old ammo isn't really reliably safe if you ask me. My Dad picked up an M-1 Garand
a few months back; he had one in the '60s and he still has his 1903 Springfield .30-06, they

use the same ammo. They are both beautiful for shooting although the M-1 is better balanced
in my opinion. But about the ammo- you can't tell if it's good or bad just be looking at it

He has some ammo from the '40s, sealed, in 'spam cans', you know, you need to open them like the old cans of spam or sardines, with a key? Air-tight, stored in an air-tight ammo box
since the '60s. We went shooting with both rifles, took that ammo. I beleive we had Denver
'43 ammo.

We got several misfires- no hangfires, thank goodness, as you must work the bolt on the '03
Springfield, which ejects a shell- or in the case of a misfire, the cartridge. Pull the
trigger, click....count to 60, work the action. I'd prefer not to handle live rounds that
didn't go off after the primer was struck, personally. In the M-1, you must extricate the
unfired round, a tricky affair (for me at least). I've still yet to get M-1 Thumb by the
way, but I'm sure it will happen.

The primers used at the time for those rifles were harder. The firing pin from the M-1
actually rests on it is my understanding. Modern softer primers introduce the scary
possibility of the weapon being discharged without the trigger being pulled. So for say the
M-1 you need 'military' primers

Now of course 20mm ammo is perforce 'military' grade ammo, but my point is weapon design
from the '30s or '40s + modern ammo introduces the possibility that they quite literally
don't make 'em like they used to- but the weapon may need ammo made like it used to be made, because it may need to use ammo designed a certain way

Old ammo is dubious in my opinion, the corrosive primers used back than simply may not be any good now. We're talking chemical reactions degrading over time it seems to me. I'd rather use new correct ammo any day of the week

shotdownski
07-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Keep in mind also that Glacier Girl's ammo had been "stored" in a freezer at near constant temperature and humidity. Old ammo subjected to high temps, hot-cold cycles, high humidity, etc, likely to be pretty "iffy".

I'm with Chuck on this one...I value my fingers, eyes, and guns too much to mess with old ammo.

shotdownski
07-25-2006, 08:24 AM
And I certainly wouldn't want old ammo if I'm in a life or death situation. I want absolute reliablity; a weapon that fires every single time. No misfires, no hang fires, no misfeeds, etc.

BaronUnderpants
07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Not that 20 mm doesnt do any damage, it does. However, the drum in the clip is filed with liquid wich increases the damage alot, its the shockwave in the water that rips the drum in peices, not the 20 mm shell itselfe?

Without water in the drum the shell would make a much smaller exithole, unless its HE that is, right?

Cool clip btw. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

DIRTY-MAC
07-26-2006, 07:15 PM
mp

D-Mentier
07-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by shotdownski:
I want absolute reliablity; a weapon that fires every single time. No misfires, no hang fires, no misfeeds, etc.
You need AK-47.

Friendly_flyer
07-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by BaronUnderpants:
its the shockwave in the water that rips the drum in peices, not the 20 mm shell itselfe?

In the army, we test-fires a 7,62 Nato (we use G3 here in Norway) at a 40 liter plastic water container. The effect was scary, the whole container burst. Had it been empty, the bullet would just stampe two neat holes.

WWMaxGunz
07-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Gun designers have been using blocks of gelatin for hunting and anti-personnel rounds
for many decades. There is also measuring penetration through hardwood along the grain
of logs. At least for small arms. Part of basic training is knowing how much packed
dirt or logs it takes to stop a bullet from a rifle. Also not to think of a car as cover.