PDA

View Full Version : HUH? What's with the invulnerable carriers?

panthercules
11-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Did I miss something in the documentation or earlier posts? After trying a few carrier landings and dive-bombing runs on the Coral Sea map, I decided to give the old kamikaze thing a try (hey - I lasted through at least 10 missions before I succumbed to the temptation).

Imagine my surprise when after making a solid impact onto the flight deck next to the island, the British carrier simply cruised onward with no visible damage whatsoever. So I figured - OK - the Britsh decks are armored (though I'm sure that wouldn't help that much), so I flew another mission and decided to try the Japanese carriers with their wood decks. I made a perfect dive, striking the meatball target near the bow smack-on (how convenient of them to paint a target on their decks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) - again, not a shred of visible damage to the carrier.

In frustration, I next clobbered the submarine that was cruising with the British carrier - my Val hit it squarely on the deck in front of the conning tower - this time, I did get two small black smoke plumes and a little scarring textures on the side of the conning tower, but nothing beyond superficial surface damage and the sub just steamed right on apparently unaffected - even it's bow gun kept firing.

What gives? Is this a known bug? surely you can't have a PTO naval air sim with ships that can't be hurt?

PF_Coastie
11-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Try carrying a big ole egg with ya next time!

Troll2k
11-01-2004, 11:54 PM
7 torpedoes or 4 tiny tims.Napalm does not seem to do anything.

panthercules
11-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Try carrying a big ole egg with ya next time!

PF_Coastie

I was loaded out with the biggest bomb load they would give me when I did my test-crash missions in QMB - 1 250KG plus 2 60Kg, IIRC - gotta be something else going on here

The_Ant
11-02-2004, 12:53 AM
The carriers can be sunk,ive seen it online and offline,it just takes some hits.In ww2 the carriers didnt go down because of just 1 kamikazeplane or 1 bomb, it takes several.I can agree with shown graphic damage,that could have been better.

Monty_Thrud
11-02-2004, 01:16 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gifHow strange....i used the tiny tims, mid ship low...and down she went

STENKA_69.GIAP
11-02-2004, 06:18 AM
=69.GIAP=SUSHI ONLINE
http://www.baseclass.modulweb.dk/69giap/fileadmin/Image_Archive/Illustrations/carriersink.JPG

Can't see what alll the fuss is about: 3x1000lbs on the deck + 2x500Lbs skip bombed into the side. We did lose 3 planes doing that though.

If a carrier rolled over every time an itty bitty plane bumped into it - one of my Kadets in his carrier landing training session would wipe out the whole fleet!

JG53Frankyboy
11-02-2004, 06:24 AM
hey, one corsair with two Napalm bombs are sinking a carrier ( every one) !

japanese players should stay away from US/UK carriers, they have no loadout (at the moment) to harm one seriously

SeaFireLIV
11-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Carriers always were and SHOULD be hard to sink. Just read up how many hits some took in reality...

Yorktown : Sunk by three bombs and four torpedoes (she had already been previously damaged, I think).

Lexington Class/ Saratoga: She was hit by 3 Kamikazes and 3 bomb hits. Didn`t sink though.

Yamato class/Mushasi: Absorbed 20 torpedoes and 17 bombs. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Didn`t sink. Finally took another salvo of SIX simultaneous torpedo hits to realise that it was time to sink.

Zuikaku Class: Survived several 500lb strikes because of extra protection, but her sister ship, the Shokaku, went down after one torpedo apparently...

Blah, blah, it goes on, but basically, these ships where a mother to take down.You should not (unless REALLY LUCKY) be able to destroy a ship completely with one aircraft`s ordnance unless you`re flying some kind of `what-if` scenario.

unseen84
11-02-2004, 07:28 AM
IIRC, Shokaku was hit by 3 torpedoes, and even then, she took a long time to sink. You might be confusing her with the carrier Taiho which, I believe, sank after only 1 torpedo hit.

Akagi was lost despite being hit by only 2 bombs, but that was mostly because her deck was full of armed aircraft at the time.

panthercules
11-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Missing the point - I don't mind that the carriers didn't sink with just 1 kamikaze hit - HOWEVER, I would have expected some visible damage - a hole in the deck, some smoke and fire maybe - not just to see my plane vaporize into nothing and have the carriers steam off with no visible damage whatsoever.

However, since I don't really plan to fly the Dgen kamikaze pilot career all that often, I guess I'll just find something else to do in PF that doesn't involve crashing planes into ships