PDA

View Full Version : Open GL or Direct X

Krt_Bong
06-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Recently I installed something which informed me that my card (Nvidia GS7600 512AGP) did not support Open GL or at least not the vertex buffers required, Strange I thought because IL-2 is running in it and I've never had a problem relating to OpenGL before. So I decided to try a test and I started IL-2 up in DirectX this after I had run a track in OGL, I then ran one in DX, no significant difference, however max FPS was slightly higher.
Is OpenGL really necessary in IL-2? Will BOB run it as well as DirectX when it comes out?

Capt.LoneRanger
06-04-2008, 05:18 PM
You should have posted this in the Help-Forum. That's why we have one and there are a lot of very talented people to help you.

IL2 was designed for OpenGL and it works best with that. That a GS7600 is unable to run with OpenGL, I really doubt that.

First thing I'd like to see would be the error-log. This file is located in your root-IL2-folder and it is a txt-file starting with "hs_err_" - It should tell us where the problem is. I run IL2 on a Graphics card that is 4 years older than yours, so that shouldn't be the problem.

DX is slightly faster than OpenGL on most machines, because it displays less details even on highest settings (infact you can chose higher settings for OpenGL)

BoB will be OpenGL, too. It runs on a wider variety of machines and offers pretty much all the option DirectX does.

When it will be released, well, lets keep fingers crossed it will be here at the end of this year. I wouldn't bet on it, though. At least not much. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Xiolablu3
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Re-install your graphics card drivers. The 7600 absolutely definitely supposts Opengl.

Opengl is the better choice for IL2 for sure. It was MADE to run in Opengl. DX is just a back up for compatibilty reasons.

Loneranger is correct, contrary to popular belief, opengl is just 'as good' as direct X if the programmer is talented. It all depends how good the programmer is.

Uufflakke
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't know what happenend with your computer but it should work I think . I have a Nvidia 7600GS,512 PCI Expressx16 and everything works fine with Open GL. NO problems with playing IL2.
Hopefully somebody else can assist you.

Krt_Bong
06-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Well actually I wasn't having a problem with Il-2 it wasn't really a question of help, just curiosity because I've been hearing rumblings of dropping support for OpenGL especially from Windows. At least it wasn't until this morning when my PC started up in some unknown resolution and I had to start in VGA mode to uninstall the drivers, sheesh! I think I jinxed myself, now nothing works right IL-2 locks up... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif now I guess I'll have to go to the Help forum for sure, I Hate Computers!

VW-IceFire
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Krt_Bong:
Well actually I wasn't having a problem with Il-2 it wasn't really a question of help, just curiosity because I've been hearing rumblings of dropping support for OpenGL especially from Windows. At least it wasn't until this morning when my PC started up in some unknown resolution and I had to start in VGA mode to uninstall the drivers, sheesh! I think I jinxed myself, now nothing works right IL-2 locks up... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif now I guess I'll have to go to the Help forum for sure, I Hate Computers!
OpenGL is not being dropped from Windows because Windows has very little to do with OpenGL as implemented in games like IL-2. Thats a rumor/myth perpetuated by some badly worded Microsoft releases around the time that Vista was announced as the title for the next OS. Its utter...utter...BS. Its not your fault that you latched onto it...its why they did it...to drive consumers to the Microsoft only DirectX/Direct3D realm.

OpenGL isn't going anywhere...still an important and popular API for some games and allot of professional applications. IL-2 was written for OpenGL and the Direct3D mode is whats called a "wrapper" and is a compatibility mode that is faster because it has less features.

It sounds like you're having some driver issues with your video card. Best to post in the Community Help forum.