PDA

View Full Version : Need OT advice regarding Red Orchestra

Feathered_IV
06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I know I shouldn't be talking about this stuff here but I trust you guys.

I'm thinking about getting RO. I saw a copy of UT2004 going cheap the other day and downloaded the RO addon from the devs site in anticipation.

The only thing is, I just saw a retail copy of RO in another store and I'm not sure now if they are one and the same thing. Is everyone playing the retail version, or are the two compatible?

Its a curly one. Can anybody help?

SeaFireLIV
06-11-2006, 07:08 PM
There`s a retail version???

leitmotiv
06-11-2006, 07:23 PM
As far as I know, they are not compatible. The download was a beta, the retail is the full-rig game. It's what I got, at any rate. I'm not an onliner, but RO is T-riffic!!!!! The tank modeling beats the heck out of PANZER ELITE modded or any WWII tank sim---all two of them. You have the Soviet AT rifle, and I am crazy about that thing. AI often lousy in the "Practice" scenarios, but they are good enough to kill you if you aren't watching. Infantry action very good. Graphics pretty good. You have plenty of terrain for maneuvering---you are not scripted and claustrophobic like in CALL OF DUTY. Seems there is some difficulty in online play in that some are d...ed rude and don't want to cooperate in tanks, etc. Forums extremely profane! All sorts of additions coming in patches. I am happy with it. If you need any tactical hints, let me know. Panther tank is a dream---moves like a sports car---even hums like one!

danjama
06-11-2006, 07:38 PM
I have RO full game. Buy it. Best FPS ever! Its like the il2 of FPS world. Just purchase through Steam.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/

As for comments on immature and rude people, i have the opposite luck. Met some really nice people so far, many who helped me learn the ropes. Great community that reminds me alot of this one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MadRuski
06-11-2006, 07:41 PM
is there any demo for download?

Feathered_IV
06-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Do you have to have Steam installed to make it work though? My hard drive is a bit challenged for space.

danjama
06-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Sounds good http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Do you have to have Steam installed to make it work though? My hard drive is a bit challenged for space.

rgr steam is a requirement.

icrash
06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MadRuski:
is there any demo for download?

To the best of my knowledge there is no demo, at least not yet.
For the most part, the forums are ok. I have seen some stuff I didn't care for and I'm pretty sure Ivan would have worn out a couple of ban sticks. Leitmotiv is right about the online stuff, I mean people kill their own team mates just to get a tank of their own. The offline bot behavior will leave you scratching you head sometimes. Don't be suprised to line up with a good shot only to have a bot leave its tank get in yours and start to move off. Sometimes they even listen to commands (seem to do better on higher difficulty settings).

leitmotiv
06-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I have found two ways to deal with those blasted bots, icrash: if one jumps in your tank, jump out instantly and sometimes he'll jump out. If it does, instantly machine gun it. For some reason you can't kill them in the race for vehicles but you can after they have been inside a tank. The other way is to either sprint and beat them to your favorite tank or wait 'til all have gotten in tanks and get in a free tank. There ought to be an "eject bot" key because they'll ruin everything for you. I am a huge fan of the commander/gunner controls---best I've ever seen for a tanking sim. JS-2 is terrific. You can clobber Panthers and Tiger Is with the 122mm HE with side shots at about 200 meters. Works better than the AP for these beasts.

icrash
06-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Leitmotiv, you can't kill 'em in the spawn point but they're fair game once they clear it. I've discovered that if you set it to a higher difficulty (battle-hardened or higher)you can order them out of the tank and they'll bail out leaving you alone. There is a command to order them out (default controls for it are "v" then 6 for commands then 9 for get out. The JS-2 owns the panzer IV at almost any range with one shot unless the IV angles just right. Ever had a IV turn at the last second and deflect an almost point blank shot?

LStarosta
06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
It's really sweet. I think some of us Il-2'ers should get together and play a few rounds of RO. Maybe we can get a listing of sorts or whatever so we can play online together. The game is a lot better when you have someone to cooperate with. Lone-wolfing on servers might get you a few kills but it's really a ****-shoot as to what kind of teamwork you're able to have, and hence your online experience might suck. You can find me playing RO as "Starosta" (surprise surprise).

leitmotiv
06-11-2006, 11:39 PM
LStarosta, I'll enlist. We could form a tank platoon or company and kick a--e! The IL-2 Volunter Unit, hoorah! Or, a flying wedge of infantry---look out! The airborne has arrived! I use the moniker "XXX."

Thanks for the excellent tips, icrash---bot tyranny has ended for me! The poor Pz IV has obliged itself by dying each time I have gifted one with a 122 shot---that which you descibed would be most infuriating! For the most part, I am very content with the shell/armor interacton---I was delighted when I was able to get close-range side shot kills on the Pz III and short-barrel Pz IV with the frisky T-60---very accurate. Playing a T-34 or KV-1S in Bondarovo is a treat. Can't wait for a Tiger II or for the Kursk map they promise. I think the system is fantastic. A year ago I was tearing my hair out trying to get PANZER ELITE modded to work---all work and no fun. This exactly the opposite!

Tried V-6-9 and it worked like a charm, but at least one time the putz refused to leave! Finally got down the artillery rules.

Megile_
06-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Yesyesyes!1111111

We should form a tank unit.

Pairs of drivers and gunners on comms... it really owns when you do it that way.

I'm a Panther man http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

But any tank will do

danjama
06-12-2006, 04:55 AM
megile ive added you but your ever on.

add me, danjama

Megile_
06-12-2006, 04:58 AM
Yea soz dude I started playing WoW again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

But im back

flakwagen
06-12-2006, 05:35 AM
I swore off STEAM after Valve conned people into purchasing the STEAM version of Day of Defeat. The STEAM engine version was supposedly going to have the British team and British weapons from the original DoD added shortly after the initial release. They haven't been added them to this day. And the game was released with fewer maps than some demo downloads. So we DoD fans have paid money for an inferior version of a game that was initially free. Valve has suckered me once. They aren't getting another chance.

Flak

danjama
06-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by flakwagen:
I swore off STEAM after Valve conned people into purchasing the STEAM version of Day of Defeat. The STEAM engine version was supposedly going to have the British team and British weapons from the original DoD added shortly after the initial release. They haven't been added them to this day. And the game was released with fewer maps than some demo downloads. So we DoD fans have paid money for an inferior version of a game that was initially free. Valve has suckered me once. They aren't getting another chance.

Flak

Your loss. RO is ten times DoD fun.

blackpulpit1970
06-12-2006, 06:15 AM
I bought it, dont like it though, graphics arent that good and online play is soso. Americas Army is so much better with great sounds and lots of great maps and its free, thats right free. With the new patch in july it will be that much more better than it already is and with 7 million people playing there is never a problem hooking up online with fun people, O yeah and its free.

SeaFireLIV
06-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Sorry, guys. I really like RO, but I hate Steam. The only reason I used it was to play HL2, and that was because I was such a big fan of HL1. After playing the game I uninstalled Steam.

Last week I bought Sin- didn`t read that it was a Steam game and had to go thru the rigmarole of installing it again, which SIN just wasn`t worth the trouble for (even though Sin did try to hook me with big boobs-nearly worked! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) Got rid of Sin, uninstalled Steam.

Now I`ve seen there`s a HL2 sequel out. Gah! I really liked HL2.

It`s the damned principle of it. I just don`t like feeling like i`m collared by the neck thru the net. It feels like an invisible tendril`s got me by the neck every time I start the game. Especially since discovering it can look around your PC and mess about with it to `improve` my PC preformance. I can improve my performance myself, thanks.

Also, it seems highly unfair to people who don`t want or can`t connect to the net. When I completed HL2, my m8 wanted to borrow it, but since he can`t get on the net it`s useless to him. Neither can I sell the game once it`s done.

I`d like to try HL2 sequel and RO, but i`ll have to pass...

Oh well. Sorry for the soapbox rant.

Megile_
06-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Also, it seems highly unfair to people who don`t want or can`t connect to the net. When I completed HL2, my m8 wanted to borrow it, but since he can`t get on the net it`s useless to him.

LMAO. just stop and think about what you just wrote.

SeaFireLIV
06-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Megile_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Also, it seems highly unfair to people who don`t want or can`t connect to the net. When I completed HL2, my m8 wanted to borrow it, but since he can`t get on the net it`s useless to him.

LMAO. just stop and think about what you just wrote. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh? What?

My friend`s not... on the... internet... so... my... copy.. of HL2... won`t... work... for... him.

Nope can`t see what`s wrong there.

CRSutton
06-12-2006, 08:04 AM
RO is not perfect but it is the best out there. Graphics and damage effects could be better. (trees are poor) but the game works so much better than any other. I really love it. Have not touched COD2 since purchasing it. Team work is important and the learning curve is high. That has limited the number of on line players, but it also tends to keep the Quake kiddies away. Tank play is so much fun and those that can effectively work together with a teammate (driver-gunner) can own the map. Strictly an on line game.

PBNA-Boosher
06-12-2006, 09:55 AM
HOLD IT!

DO NOT BUY UT2004!! Nobody plays RO 3.2 anymore, they've all moved onto the Ostfront standalone. if you buy UT2004 you'll be looking at mostly empty servers.

leitmotiv
06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I'll drive or shoot. Up to speed on both. Panther or JS-2 my favs, but even the T-60 can be a kick: Great to sneak up on Panzers IIIs or IVs or StuG IIIs in it and cream them with point-blank flank shots. JS-2 the all-purpose kitty-killer. When the Germans get the Tigster II, fun will be over. Then upgrade to the JSU-152!

LStarosta
06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
my steam name is LStarosta btw

Heavy_Weather
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
is this game an online game only or is there single player action as well?

Megile_
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I'll drive or shoot. Up to speed on both. Panther or JS-2 my favs, but even the T-60 can be a kick: Great to sneak up on Panzers IIIs or IVs or StuG IIIs in it and cream them with point-blank flank shots. JS-2 the all-purpose kitty-killer. When the Germans get the Tigster II, fun will be over. Then upgrade to the JSU-152!

Yo, what's your RO name?

leitmotiv
06-12-2006, 12:10 PM
XXX !!!! I am also a mean shot with a Sov AT rifle---but just about useless in infantry close-action---working on this, argh.

Has a single-player "Practice" component, Heavy_Weather, which is indispensible for learning the ropes. AI can be lame, but improves if you go to highest levels of simulation (like "Fanatical" etc). See this thread for loads of useful info on AI management.

LStarosta
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I would suggest you go online as soon as possible, though. It really helps you learn the game etiquette, and it's a lot more fun to play against real peeplz.

pcisbest
06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
I like RO a lot too, or as the hardcore fans refer to the retail, ROOST (RO: OstFront).

Problem is that at this point, a lot of the game is broken.

The lead programmer Rammjaeger has acknowledged that the tank system is broken, for one thing. A Tiger can't penetrate the rear of a T-34 at <100 meters range, while a T-60 can penetrate frontal Panzer III armor and a PTRD can take out Tigers and Panthers. You can also take tanks out with grenades provided you use enough of them, due to the hitpoint based damage modeling.

There are also a bunch of annoying bugs left over from the mod: Guys still stick straight up in the air when proning, grenades still get stuck in your hand and explode, without being thrown, you still bounce when you run over a proned guy, and you may even kill him by "stomping" him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif . The Team Autobalance feature does not work *at all* (this has also been acknowledged), and netcode and client side performance is still wonky even for people with good machines, some moreso than others. There are other irritations as well, such as the Russian armored car that can go top speed across any terrain, careeening around corners at like 50kph over broken ground, with the passenger in the top turret throwing satchels out onto passing tanks (I have been killed as a tanker a couple of times in this fashion).

All of these bugs and issues are apparently being addressed, along with performance optimisations, in a patch that Tripwire Interactive has been postponing now for a while. It was suppossed to have come out in early May, then got pushed to late May, and latest news says late June.

So, while a good game, if I was undecided, I would hold off on buying it till this bug fix patch comes out, because until then, you will be irritated. Especially if you are an IL-2 player and go for simulation realism, it will irk you to see the arcade tank combat at this point. At the least, I don't recommend playing tanks, just stick to the infantry maps.

leitmotiv
06-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Have to disagree regarding your characterization of the tank action as "arcade," pcisbest. I rate this as the best WWII tank sim we have until two new ones come out later this year. I regularly blow T-34-85s to pieces from any angle with the Tiger I. I have never been able to penetrate frontal armor on the Pz III with the T-60's 20mm, but I have been able to destroy the Pz III, Pz IV short barrel, and StuG III with close-range side shots, and in some cases rear plate hits on them---this is within the realm of probability. The Sov AT rifle should be able to get flank kills on all of the above at very close range, and on the turret flanks and rear of the Pz IV long-barrel and Panther. The Panther had "tender" flanks---a defect intended to be cured on the Panther II. The Sovs used swarms of AT riflemen and they were a huge annoyance to the German tanks. I have never been able to do anything to a Tiger I with the AT rifle except possibly break a track. The mouse wheel for going from binoculars to commander exposed to inside cupola to gunsight is the best way of handling change of positions I have seen in an armor sim (I would prefer a full-time commander, not commander/gunner, on the tanks which had commanders with no other tasks). I haven't seen any incomprehensible flaws in the shell/armor interaction. It does have its glitches, but even the Maddox air sims have dysfunctional AI.