PDA

View Full Version : Bell L39 Swept Wing Cobra......



LEBillfish
09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Never seen this before;

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/bell_l_39_sweep_cobra.html

BillyTheKid_22
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I am shocked! cool!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ploughman
09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Very nice looking.

"After the capitulation of Germany in 1945, US forces captured large amounts of documents on all types of new aeronautical developments. One of these which were tested extensively by German scientists was the swept wing configuration."

!

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Cool...but there are no performance figures for it. I wonder how it compared to a standard P-63. Even for the year, though, it was probably not very viable. The site puts the date "after capitulation" and perusing plans, distributing data, building and testing would have taken at least some months. By that time the P-80 was well under way. It could have contributed to the wing design of the Sabre though!?

Either way, it's fun to speculate.


TB

Waldo.Pepper
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
A dog wearing a sweater is still a dog.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-26-2006, 10:56 AM
An iron dog you mean... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

LEBillfish
09-26-2006, 11:05 AM
the page mentions that low speed performance was poor so leading edge slats had to be added...."Maybe" the wing type simply does not apply well to prop planes as no matter how great they may be at speed, they still need to land and take off.

WB_Outlaw
09-26-2006, 12:18 PM
It looks to me like this aircraft was only a test bed for the swept wing design. I doubt if there was ever any intention of putting it into production. Notice how one model had wide air intakes in the wing roots? Looks like a jet wing to me.

[edit]
Well duh, I missed this one...

To test such a configuration at low speeds, Bell received from the U.S. naval air service a contract for the development and construction of two flying test models based on the existing Bell P-63 Kingcobra fighter.
[end edit]

--Outlaw.

ploughman
09-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Wonder if they picked the P-39 because the centre of gravity was further back?

Jamelo
09-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Neat!

bun-bun195333
09-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
"Maybe" the wing type simply does not apply well to prop planes as no matter how great they may be at speed, they still need to land and take off.

Not if there's a conveyor belt nearby...

Immermann
09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
A dog wearing a sweater is still a dog.

You mean; "A monkey in a suit, is still a monkey"http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

triad773
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Wonder if they picked the P-39 because the centre of gravity was further back?

No doubt. Interesting test. Perhaps might have made more sense if it were like an F-111 or F-14: variable geometry wing. But hey- they were just playing with the data they captured from Germany.

Nice find LeBillFish.

luftluuver
09-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Wonder if they picked the P-39 because the centre of gravity was further back? P-63 was used.

han freak solo
09-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the cool link, Billfish.

Nice new avatar, too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Sordid_Sinister
09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Cool. Although I think the Cobra is an exceptionally ugly bird and the swept wing only makes matters worse in that regard.

FI-Aflak
09-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Cool...but there are no performance figures for it. I wonder how it compared to a standard P-63. Even for the year, though, it was probably not very viable. The site puts the date "after capitulation" and perusing plans, distributing data, building and testing would have taken at least some months. By that time the P-80 was well under way. It could have contributed to the wing design of the Sabre though!?

Either way, it's fun to speculate.


TB

It was intended as only a study of swept wing behavior.