PDA

View Full Version : How did AltaÔr manage in Acre?

Inorganic9_2
01-03-2011, 08:27 AM
It can be safe to assume that the Assassins were mainly of arab heritage, so is there any official explanation as to how AltaÔr manages to interact with the people in Acre, or is it left to our imagination.

My imagination tells me that AltaÔr, being half-European, probably learnt French or something (I suppose thatís the most common language with the Crusaders). That, and the fact that some Europeans who had been in the holy land for a while picked up Arabic. Also, anyone think itís probable that the Assassins were taught other languages to help them in their investigations?

Drakonous505
01-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Of course.
Though it's more likely he spoke English too due to speaking with Richard the Lion Heart directly.

itsamea-mario
01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Well richard loved france, after the war he stayed there, i imagine he could speak the language.
Richard may also have been able to speak arabic though.
But its pretty certain Altair could speak atleast one of the western european languages.

kriegerdesgottes
01-03-2011, 08:35 AM
historically Richard the Lion Heart spoke very little english at all. He was the king of England because his father was but he was raised speaking French because his mother was French and he mostly just spoke French.

Grandmaster_Z
01-03-2011, 08:36 AM
altair was not half european, he was christian/muslim. there were plenty of arab christians in the middle east back then and also even now there are many arab christians in that region. also, king richard barely spoke english

magesupermaster
01-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
altair was not half european, he was christian/muslim. there were plenty of arab christians in the middle east back then and also even now there are many arab christians in that region. also, king richard barely spoke english
No, he never was a Muslim/Christian, although he was spiritual.

Grandmaster_Z
01-03-2011, 08:57 AM
his parents were you idiot
<span class="ev_code_RED">If you can't be respectful I would suggest not posting.</span>

itsamea-mario
01-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Isn't isreal in europe, technically. i mean i know the are very different culture wise, and language wise.

Xx El Kino xX
01-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
<span class="ev_code_RED">If you can't be respectful I would suggest not posting.</span>
Did you really have to call him an idiot?

Reign
01-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I vaguely remember something in Project Legacy about Francesco's group of assassin's being taught the native tongues of their target region. I believe Enu (the marksman) was the one who could speak many languages with no accent as Francesco put it.

They even smelted and familiarized themselves with each currency of the target regions, being that a local would never pay for services with the wrong coin. I think that there was a lot of preperation for the missions that we (as gamers) have been on that was left out but mentioned in Project Legacy.

SolidSnakeMat
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by DigitalPimp5lap:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
Did you really have to call him an idiot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I say yes.

Inorganic9_2
01-03-2011, 02:07 PM
The talk of Richard is right. He spoke very little English and was born, raised and lived in France (I don't think he spent much time in England at all). Plus, any Plantagenet Kings which could speak English and such probably spoke French as well, due to their heritage and the fact it was deemed more "refined" in courts.

As for the whole thing about AltaÔr's heritage, many sources do say "christian/muslim parents" (could easily be eastern orthodox christian etc.) but I am sure I have seen other sources which half european, half middle eastern...I suppose one is a misunderstanding of the other.

One thing which this thought reminded me of was Robyn Young's "Brethren" triolgy; the main character is a Templar knight that speaks arabic because he is taught to do so when he works as an apprentice under a french priest who translates arabic scholarly texts.

Grandmaster_Z
01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
i got my info. from the AC1 instruction booklet. also, during that time of the crusades, i think alot of the warriors learned the other languages (arabic, english, maybe french) to communicate with each other regarding terms of war/peace treaties, etc. or they just had interpreters.

E-Zekiel
01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Maria Thorpe was French, no? And Altair's wife. One would think that perhaps Altair knew French, if he managed to communicate and end up marrying a woman who speaks French.

ThaWhistle
01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
i imagine he got by the same way all the other assassins who dressed exactly the same did. its a video game.

some material said his parents were a muslim and a christian, they never say from where. it could have been a moor from spain and a copt from egypt. so that doesn't neccesarily mean he had any european heritage. But thats somewhat aside the point.

Historically speaking, no city in the Levant ever had a really sizable european population. There would be alot of transient pilgrims going to and from the region. There were alot of eastern christians(armenians, greeks, syrians, copts, etc) There were some crusaders from southern italy that went with the norman lords of the region, so he could have blended in with them. But thats aside the point, as its still a video game.

The games entire depiction of Acre is somewhat off. It would have looked more like Jerusalem or Damascus. As a point of trivia, most of the buildings constructed in the Crusader States were a blend of eastern and western architecture.

Inorganic9_2
01-04-2011, 05:23 AM
It's a video game, but it's also a video game where such issues are actually addressed (for example, Bartolomeo asking Ezio whether he spoke French).

I do agree that the Acre of AC was kind of off in its architecture, especially since it had just been taken back from the Saracens! There's only one minaret in the entre place and even that is broken.

kriegerdesgottes
01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
Maria Thorpe was French, no? And Altair's wife. One would think that perhaps Altair knew French, if he managed to communicate and end up marrying a woman who speaks French. no maria was English, if you played bloodlines at the end she talks about not wanting to go back to England because she wants to travel east to India

XxSYD3WINDERxX
01-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
It's a video game, but it's also a video game where such issues are actually addressed (for example, Bartolomeo asking Ezio whether he spoke French).

I do agree that the Acre of AC was kind of off in its architecture, especially since it had just been taken back from the Saracens! There's only one minaret in the entre place and even that is broken.

Yeah, I think in the official artbook they acknowledged the fact the historical accuracy was off, but it was done to create a more unique city and not just be another of the same.