PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 Take-Off Tail Wind

GazzaMataz
11-01-2004, 02:44 AM
I am still playing the original Il-2 German campaign and have gotten as far as Kursk. The mission I am on at the moment is flying in the rain hunting Sturmoviks.

The problem I am having with this mission is taking off. I can take off and land quite happily in most weather in most planes now, but for some reason in this mission as soon as I throttle forward the nose of the aircraft just wants to point to port and fly into the line of trucks on the runway. No matter how much rudder I give her to counter the propeller torc she just wants to vere to port - badly.

I did actually get her up but annoyingly wasted a plane doing so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Is this a feature of the game? Or is it a bug? I have had it happen only once before when flying on an earlier mission in the snow (Moscow area).

If it is not a bug, how are you supposed to get the plane up - lock the tail wheel?

GazzaMataz
11-01-2004, 02:44 AM
I am still playing the original Il-2 German campaign and have gotten as far as Kursk. The mission I am on at the moment is flying in the rain hunting Sturmoviks.

The problem I am having with this mission is taking off. I can take off and land quite happily in most weather in most planes now, but for some reason in this mission as soon as I throttle forward the nose of the aircraft just wants to point to port and fly into the line of trucks on the runway. No matter how much rudder I give her to counter the propeller torc she just wants to vere to port - badly.

I did actually get her up but annoyingly wasted a plane doing so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Is this a feature of the game? Or is it a bug? I have had it happen only once before when flying on an earlier mission in the snow (Moscow area).

If it is not a bug, how are you supposed to get the plane up - lock the tail wheel?

JtD
11-01-2004, 03:14 AM
You can try to apply brakes and rudder at the same time, it will help you to control your plane at low speed.

Tully__
11-01-2004, 03:58 AM
You need lots of throttle to generate airflow over the rudder before you start rolling. Hold the brakes until it starts to creep and use as much rudder as you need to correct.

I must say that you're right about the crosswind takeoffs & landings in the original IL2 Sturmovik being a real challenge, but they are possible.