PDA

View Full Version : Problemw with MS SideWinder

rafael_laffront
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Hello...Can somebody help me?
I am trying to play IL-2 using the old MS SideWinder but I just can´t. The problem is that when I power up any airplane, it is going to the left side and I can´t control it even going up or turns. I try all kinds of configurations in the setup menu and I didn´t work. And when I play the MS Flight Simulator it works fine. Does anybody know what´s happening?
Thanks
RAFAEL

AFSG_Bulldog
01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Well you have to lock the tailwheel once you are lined up for take off. Then your plane will track straight (or reasonably so). The sim models in thrust and P-factor (much like you will find in real aircraft). Micro$oft does not do that.

major_setback
01-25-2008, 01:33 AM
You need lots of rudder for take off! Just like in real life. These machines have very powerful engines...can't compare to some of the light aircraft in FSX. Amongst other things the torque of the engine pulls it to one side.

Jabout
01-25-2008, 02:53 AM
Do an air launch in quick mission builder, just to see if you can basically fly the aircraft straight and level, to verify if the joystick is essentially okay.

On take off feed in the power real slow, the rudder has little authority till the air is flowing past it at a fair speed.

You can also fiddle around with the difficulty settings to make the whole thing easier, till you get the hang of it.

rafael_laffront
01-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks Everybody... I will try that.

han freak solo
01-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Before you take off, go to external view and verify that all your control surfaces are moving correctly.

I too have MS sidewinder. It sometimes gets flaky if I touch it while IL2 is loading. Sometimes due to that, I can't get aileron roll in one direction.

The only cure for me is to reboot the PC. Sometimes, I've even had to disconnect the Sidewinder, reboot the PC, then plug it back in.

Now I don't touch the stick at all until IL2 is fully loaded and ready.