PDA

View Full Version : falcon 4.0 new game qustion.

fordfan25
07-11-2005, 05:09 PM
i was at wally world today and saw a game called falcon 4.0. it was a new game with graphics that looked even better than what little iv seen of LOMAC. my qustions are has any one hear pl;ayed it and if so, how is it? is it as hard to get the hang of as LOMAC or can you ajust the level of realism like in FB? i dont want to get into a game that takes me 3 days to map out the controles and learn to just fire a missle.

raisen
07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Falcon 4 supports all manner of realism options including simplified avionics and flight models. Some of the simple settings are broken by the SP/BMS community patches, but it's documented and explained in the patch documentation.

If what you are seeing is the new Allied Force ( still waiting here....) product, then you get vastly improved graphics, flight models, the whole shooting match, more campaigns too, they fixed all of the simplified modes of play too, some of which were broken by the last official patch from HASBRO.

I love Falcon 4, despite it taking me almost 18 months to learn all of the avionics and weapons fit. I still think that the dynamic campaign is about the best thing I've ever seen, the new AI shipping with Allied Force should be a big improvement too.

The core of the game was released in 1999 I think, and was starting to show its age in graphical terms, but it has retained a small but very dedicated following and grown hugely from its starting point.

If the price is right, I'd recommend it, but beware, the initial learning curve is scary, and the air defense environment you face in campaign games is startlingly dangerous. If any of the new campaigns feature more than a couple of SA-10's in particular I'm switching to submarines....

In short it takes commitment to gete up to speed with full real, but it's so rewarding I never bothered with any of the simplified options.

Raisen

roybaty
07-11-2005, 05:51 PM
I agree it's a good game, but very difficult IMO to get running on a newer system with WinXP and USB controllers.

It's been kept alive as raisen said, by a dedicated community. Lotsa mods and upgrades to help keep it current/fresh.

Here is a falcon 4 forum, lotsa info and people happy to provide info:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=11

Dirt_312
07-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Dirt_312:
Is it Falcon 4.0 or Falcon 4.0:AF. The Faclon 4.0:AF is a new release of the old Falcon 4.0 that has been upgraded.

See the review below:

http://www.simhq.com/_air5/air_160a.html

fordfan25
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
yea im talking about the new one. allied force.

im not to intersted in learning full real. im just looking for a fun game to play that has modern jets. i dont mind spending a bit of time learning the core of the game. but like in the case of lomac i dont want to have to remember with 4 keys cut on the missles and such. im not looking for ace combate but also not looking for lomac lol. well maby ill give it a try and see if i like it. i just dont want to have to make a full time job of learning controles.

fordfan25
07-11-2005, 06:21 PM
is there a safe online store i can buy this game at thats USA based?

VELCRO_FLY
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
fordfan25 - I've seen some on ebay.

As far as the game goes: I love it. I used to play the old one. The last one I had was Free Falcon with all the latest patches. It was a blast, but the online play never worked very good. This new one is as solid as they come online! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Beware though, it's a tough game to learn. I believe it has an arcade setting that will make it much easier. It's a lot of fun.

raisen
07-12-2005, 06:07 AM
From what I remember even the arcade version would probly benefit from a HOTAS and an appropriate mapping. Probably not the best choice for a blast.

Raisen

Bongokid
07-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Having both Lock on air combat + the new expansion flaming cliff And the new Falcon allied forces installed on my comp, i would say that graphically LOMAC clearly is much better than falcon. I think from a limited experience that they both require a middle-to-high end computers to function properly.

Withtout entering the LOMAC Vs Falcon debate i would say that in my case LOMAC gives an outstanding graphic experience and sensation of being in a plane whereas the dynamic campaign in Falcon gives a better sensation of being part of a war.

Cheers,

Bongokid

GazeH0und
07-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Agree^^

Edbert
07-12-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by raisen:
The core of the game was released in 1999 I think, and was starting to show its age in graphical terms, but it has retained a small but very dedicated following and grown hugely from its starting point.

That starting point would be back in the days of Spectrum Holobyte, think around 1989. Falcon 3.0 was the only boxed flight sim that held a candle to the original Red Baron back in 1991-92. Falcon 4.0 is quite old now by video game standards, I never played it much although I bought it as I do almost all of the genre (gotta support those coders you know!), I think I burned out of the jet-sims with Falcon3.

I'm glad to hear the old Falcon is getting some new clothes, to this day I've not seen a flight sim that had as good of a DCG as Falcon 3 did so many years ago. Some software company with a series of hits on their hands...cough...UBI...cough...should buy the code for that DCG, even if they have to own the titles to get it.

BSS_Vidar
07-12-2005, 09:38 AM
I bought Falcon 4.0 Allied Force. The graphics are a big improvement to the original version, I'll agree. The cockpits look pretty darn good, but the the terrain features are still very archade looking. LOMAC with Flaqming Cliffs is still #1 in my book.

The thing F4.0:AF has that 'gamers' might be willing to over-look the graphics short-commings on, are the campaign/senerio program capabilities at your disposal.

MEGILE
07-12-2005, 09:50 AM
I bought F4-AF primarily for a Multirole USAF plane which LOMAC lacks.
I didn't upgrade to LOMAC FC 1.1 yet, but probably will do when the KA-50 addon is released http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

fordfan25
07-12-2005, 08:21 PM
thanks for the input guys i think i may give her a try.

LEXX_Luthor
07-12-2005, 09:19 PM
If you like crapp jets, czech out the StrikeFighters (or Wings Over Vietnam). I can set you up with 3rd Party stuff (maps, campaigns, planes, etc...) and my own useful basic game files that totally transform the sim from the rather conservative -- I think -- Default settings. A good India/Pakistan and Iraq/Iran campaign with most types Flyable on both sides are out now.

raisen
07-13-2005, 06:57 AM
nothing wrong with any of the jets in Strikefighters..... not by the standards of their time anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Raisen

LEXX_Luthor
07-13-2005, 05:00 PM
MiG-17PFU is the most fun (for me). The 1950s radar and missiles make it really tough. And you thought 1960s radars and missiles were bad. They have cooked up some sweet F-94B, F3D, and F-86D interceptors too. I never really thought much about a WW2 night bombing/night fighter sim until now.

LEXX_Luthor
07-13-2005, 05:12 PM
mmm actually, the 3rd Panty modded Yak-25P and F-94B radar controlled gun ships are my current Faves. They are just so sweet. But I am interested in the challenge of taking off and intercepting a Mach 2 bomber with limited afterburner endurance and old missiles. So far I have not got StrikeFighters install thus modded, but I will. Be Certain.

SATAN_23rd
07-13-2005, 05:18 PM
If you dont like LOMAC for it's avionics complexity http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif you will HATE F4AF. Lomac looks like an arcade game with regard to avionics complexity compared to F4AF.

raisen
07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
to be honest I always thought that LOMAC was best on graphics, worse of the two on avionics.
Whilst the modelling of radar and ECM was always simplified to some extent on Falcon, the first releases of LOMAC seemed both arcade in nature, and unfinished (was it the F15 that had broken radar to start with ?). There was always a strong aim within Falcon to make avionic operation as realistic as possible within the capabilities of the hardware.
Of the two, I don't think that I've ever witnessed as many aircraft/ships/vehicles active in a scenario in LOMAC as I have in Falcon (which has a proper campaign engine - missing from LOMAC).

Raisen

fordfan25
07-15-2005, 10:29 AM
mute point now. i went to all my local stores and the two copies i had previosly found were gone. cant find the stupid thing any wear. 200 million copies of lomac though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. gusse ill go with it. only thing i hate about that game is no Dgen campaigns. that just sucksm big un.