PDA

View Full Version : New Flock Web Browser is kewl....

mortoma
04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
With the retirement of Netscape browser, many of the developement people from Netscape stuck together and worked on a new browser called Flock. I just downloaded it and am using it now. And it really Flocks!! ....Errr..umm..rocks anyway. I know, that was a Flocking sad joke. So far I like it better than Firefox and the rest.

mortoma
04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
With the retirement of Netscape browser, many of the developement people from Netscape stuck together and worked on a new browser called Flock. I just downloaded it and am using it now. And it really Flocks!! ....Errr..umm..rocks anyway. I know, that was a Flocking sad joke. So far I like it better than Firefox and the rest.

Bearcat99
04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Hmmm I thought Firefox was an offshoot of Netscape as well... I like FF..

mortoma
04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Hmmm I thought Firefox was an offshoot of Netscape as well... I like FF.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea, FF is a Mozilla based browser and Netscape developed Mozilla if I'm not mistaken. And Netscape invented the first true web browser period. Then unfortunately MS decided to copy the idea and created IE. They more like stole the idea of course.

Then tragically, Netscape was aquired by AOL, which gave them a bad name for quite a while. The people who developed FF around Mozilla took advantage of Netscape's muddied name and came up with a great browser.

This Flock browser is good too. I'd like to see people try it to see if they like it. They can always uninstall if they don't like it.

Aaron_GT
04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Netscape grew out of Mosaic, as did spy glass, which beget IE. Very incestuous, but all new codebases by now.

VW-IceFire
04-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Flock is an offshoot from the Mozilla codebase. A perfectly natural thing to happen in an open source environment. Flock seems to mostly be for people who are interested in social bookmarking. I haven't gotten into that but apparently Flock has a small but devoted following.

Can't go wrong...underneath is a Gecko 1.8 rendering engine from Firefox 2.

zardozid
04-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I have not tried it yet but here are a couple of links for anyone interested in researching it...

Homepage/Download (http://www.flock.com/)

Generic information/WikipediA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flock_%28web_browser%29)