PDA

View Full Version : F-18s buzz Queens New York!

Istreliteli
10-12-2004, 05:09 PM
I was walking in the Flushing area today in the late afternoon when four grey F-18s flew very low over my head. I was a little worried bc it would seem something happened to cause them to do that, but nothing happened.
Maybe they are going to fly over teh ceremonies at the American League Championship Series?
PS-there are CAPs over NYC, however, none of them are like this. This was very low, and supersonic. (heard the boom) and no landing gear were extended, so they couldnt have been landing at laguardia.

VW-IceFire
10-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I always look to see if they are armed.

A couple of years ago at a soccer game I saw a pair of CF-18's do a relatively high-G turn near the field. I looked up and saw the Sidewinders on the wingtips (note: didn't look like the dummies) and the Sparrow missiles on the wing pylons.

Must have been an exercise but it was not that long after 9/11 and I wondered if something may have been up.

El Turo
10-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Dude, there is no way a flight of four F-18's went supersonic at low level over New York. Can you imagine what kind of glass damage that would cause?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

VW-IceFire
10-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a subsonic pass...the sound still takes longer to reach you on the ground...and F-18's tend to make a wooshing noise as they pass by (a very heavy deep in your gut kind of feeling).

You'd be hearing broken glass and car alarms going off if they went supersonic over NY City. Not to mention the fact that they would be braking half a dozen regulations that are no doubt imposed in all cases except dire emergency.

Istreliteli
10-12-2004, 06:20 PM
my bad guys, thanx for pointing out that its subsonic.
in that case, however, F18s are ****ing loud!

huggy87
10-12-2004, 08:47 PM
It was probably a fly by. Those are always pre-arranged well in advance. My squadron was doing one over LA this weekend until a last minute cancellation.

@ Icefire It is very common to fly with dummy missiles. With the AIM-9 there is no propellant or explosive but the pilot can still practice getting seeker locks. In the U.S. all inert ordnance is painted blue.

VW-IceFire
10-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Interesting...I don't know if they have the same practice up here. They may very well do the same thing. To be honest...hard to tell the color...it was a cloudy bright so I'm not sure.

Is it common to fly with a full dummy load? In this case 2x AIM-9 and 4x AIM-7? I figured it was one of those rare military patrols that we so rarely see. Sometimes we forget about our military up here...the few but proud (any that I've talked to anyways).

huggy87
10-13-2004, 10:36 PM
I can't really speak for the canadians, but we will typically only carry one or two air-to-air dummy missiles. Our ordies, for practice, will occasionaly load a plane up to the hilt, but we wouldn't fly it. The thing drives like a truck with that much ordnance.

WTE_Ibis
10-14-2004, 03:03 AM
An F111 went supersonic over the Queensland,Australia coast yesterday.The radio stations were inundated with calls about earth tremors and enquiries about the cause with people
reporting broken windows and items falling from shelves,houses shaking etc.I think the Bali bombings have people a little nervous. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

ploughman
10-14-2004, 03:18 AM
I was in West Berlin in 1982 and heard something alot like a bomb going off. The guy I was staying with said it was Warsaw Pact jets going super-sonic over the city, breaking windows and scaring dogs.

It was all part of the Cold War psychological warfare thing to remind the residents of that island of capitalism in a sea of communism that they would be very much in harm's way if the Cold War went hot.

huggy87
10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
An F111 went supersonic over the Queensland,Australia coast yesterday.The radio stations were inundated with calls about earth tremors and enquiries about the cause with people
reporting broken windows and items falling from shelves,houses shaking etc.I think the Bali bombings have people a little nervous. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif You guys still fly the F-111! I did not know that. Ours have been retired for 10-15 years.

Zyzbot
10-14-2004, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by huggy87:
You guys still fly the F-111! I did not know that. Ours have been retired for 10-15 years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I recall...15 or so of Australia's F-111's used to be USAF F-111G models.

BRASSTURTLE
10-14-2004, 02:50 PM
The hornet has a very distinctive tone to it. We had the Blue Angels here for airshows in '02 & '03. They flew over my neighborhood in formation while practicing. You could smell th JP afterward. IF you want loud, though, we had a pair of F-104 Starfighters this year. I could actually feel the bones in my head(no it is not solid) rattling as they made high subsonic passes. MY dad told me that back in the 50's? b58 hustlers used to fly over supersonic all the time. That would have been a sight(and sound)!

VW-IceFire
10-14-2004, 05:34 PM
F-4 Phantoms are great sounding as well. They make the F-18's sound quiet in comparison.