PDA

View Full Version : to host game, port forwarding not neccessary with router?!

Duckota
01-30-2006, 06:55 PM
I have gotten every tip on port forwarding to not using a router, to just simply not hosting and fly.
Well if you know anything about your router, there is an option to 'enable' DMZ (de-miltarized zone). By default it is disabled. Well after weeks of frustration, I went to a very respected Yahoo Computer chat and I was told to ENABLE my DMZ. Once I did that I was hosting a game and my friend and I who we bought Pacific Fighters together, were flying in our own little world, so fun this is now!!

WB_Outlaw
01-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Unless you really know how to lock down your computer pushing your PC into the DMZ is not a good idea. Based on the fact that you didn't know how to setup a DMZ I'd bet you've never run a port scan to see how exposed you are.

The last time I checked the logs on my Linux server there were around 3000 connection attempts a day across every well known port(strangely enough, SSH gets more attention than netBIOS) and random ports all the way up to 65k.

--Outlaw.

AFJ_Locust
01-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Duckota:
I have gotten every tip on port forwarding to not using a router, to just simply not hosting and fly.
Well if you know anything about your router, there is an option to 'enable' DMZ (de-miltarized zone). By default it is disabled. Well after weeks of frustration, I went to a very respected Yahoo Computer chat and I was told to ENABLE my DMZ. Once I did that I was hosting a game and my friend and I who we bought Pacific Fighters together, were flying in our own little world, so fun this is now!!

if you inable the dmz then you put your computer
in harms way because now the firewall is NOT protecting your pc.

There is a way to have leave the dmz at default & still host I do it all the time

u need to get with a network guru

Duckota
01-30-2006, 10:29 PM
I was never told of DMZ. therefore I had no other alternative. I consulted a cheat in the help world. my ports are all clean and secure (just did a scan at dslreport).
My XP firewall should block most threats that it would if I were not 'routered with DMZ enabled'.
Any more info is appreciated and welcome.

-HH-Quazi
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Windows XP firewall? Well, if you had said you had Norton, Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, or one of the other software firewalls, I wouldn't have felt compelled to respond because I ran without a router for a couple years with only Norton Internet Securitys' software firewall protecting me and was always stealthed from port scans. But, imho, you are asking for trouble depending on the firewall with Windows XP to keep the bad guys out.

If you are going to continue to run your rig in the DMZ zone, you should at least get a decent software firewall to protect your rig.

If it were me, I'd get rid of using the DMZ disabled, and figure out how to properly configure your ports to enable you connecting to others and others connecting to you. There are plenty of networking gurus in the Help forum that would help you get your router configured properly.

MAILMAN------
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a Linksys BEFSR81 Router with 8 Port Switch. I have no problems joining any games on UBI or HyperLobby. When I tried to host games on UBI regardless of whether I used the DMZ, Port Forwarding or Port Triggering it was a no go. UBI support told me exactly what Ports to open, a bunch of them, but that did not work. I even enabled the DMZ to my machine, but still no luck. To this day I cannot host a game on UBI.COM regardless of my router setup. HyperLobby is different. I used to use the DMZ enabled to host PF on HyperLobby, but now I only port forward port 21000 to my machine and I have no problems hosting PF or FB+AEP+PF. I have ports forwarded for a teamspeak server on another machine in the house. The DMZ is disabled.

|CoB|_Spectre
01-31-2006, 02:31 PM
I recently had to replace a failed router that had served me well for almost 5 years. I bought an updated version and had noted the port and trigger configuration that had worked well for me when hosting online. When I configured my new router, I could not host. Joining a game was no problem and I checked and rechecked all my router settings, but could not figure why it still refused to let me host. I figured DMZ might be my only alternative...until I was reading through the Hyperlobby FAQs. When I checked my hlpro.config file, I found that it had a line saying "DetectLocalIP=1" and I followed the FAQ's suggestion in turning it off by changing it to "DetectLocalIP=0". Voila!

What was happening was that my computer with which I was trying to host (aka "local machine") was seen by the router (rightly so) as having a static IP address. When I launched out of Hyperlobby to host a game, it was trying to detect the IP address of the "local machine", which being behind my router's hardware firewall, was hidden from the internet (WAN side). By turning off the detection of the LAN IP, the WAN IP was able to make a successful connection. Now I can host with all the benefits and protections that I had in mind when I bought a router in the first place.

Troll2k
01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Ubi will not admit it but since 1.22 you can not host from behind a router.

You only have to forward a game port if you want to host.No need for forwarding just to play.

AFJ_Locust
01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
I recently had to replace a failed router that had served me well for almost 5 years. I bought an updated version and had noted the port and trigger configuration that had worked well for me when hosting online. When I configured my new router, I could not host. Joining a game was no problem and I checked and rechecked all my router settings, but could not figure why it still refused to let me host. I figured DMZ might be my only alternative...until I was reading through the Hyperlobby FAQs. When I checked my hlpro.config file, I found that it had a line saying "DetectLocalIP=1" and I followed the FAQ's suggestion in turning it off by changing it to "DetectLocalIP=0". Voila!

What was happening was that my computer with which I was trying to host (aka "local machine") was seen by the router (rightly so) as having a static IP address. When I launched out of Hyperlobby to host a game, it was trying to detect the IP address of the "local machine", which being behind my router's hardware firewall, was hidden from the internet (WAN side). By turning off the detection of the LAN IP, the WAN IP was able to make a successful connection. Now I can host with all the benefits and protections that I had in mind when I bought a router in the first place.

You have to foward the ports like this.......
I do not use 192.168.1.11 its just an exzample, you make your own number like 192.168.1.15 or 192.168.1.89 anywhere from 1 to 99 I belive

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/Ports.jpg

Filters so Hl can ping you
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/Filters.jpg

DMZ = inabled
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/dmz.jpg

next configure xp Internet Protocol tcpip like this......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/AFJ_Locust/xpnetworksetings.jpg

Then it will work, after you reboot

Duckota
01-31-2006, 07:00 PM
OK, this looks great! But the interface on a D-Link is way different. I don't want to really try to decipher this to my router. I really wish there was someone out there who knows how to do this on a D-Link! Thank you!

|CoB|_Spectre
02-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Duckota:
OK, this looks great!

Exactly! And the Virtual Server interface on an SMC Barricade looks different too. Forwarding the ports was never the issue regarding the inability to host, it was the the "DetectLocalIP" thingy.

Here's a site that's got lots of help for various makes of routers:
http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

MAILMAN------
02-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I have never had a problem hosting a game in HyperLobby unless I had forgotten to port forward or DMZ (Linksys BEFSR81). I have never been able to host a game on UBI.COM from behind my router regardless of whether I use the DMZ or port forward every port that UBI Support told me had to be forwarded. Joining a game on UBI is no problem, just the hosting.