PDA

View Full Version : is there any chance that UBI will fix the P-38, P-80, spit textures?

porcupine1
03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
these are great models but the texture mapping is useless! Alot of the community is into skinning planes and a great number of us are very disapointed with these textures. it is impossible to do even a remotly accurate skin. and accuracy is what IL2 is all about.
not trying to complain just letting issues be known!

porcupine1
03-08-2004, 02:43 PM
these are great models but the texture mapping is useless! Alot of the community is into skinning planes and a great number of us are very disapointed with these textures. it is impossible to do even a remotly accurate skin. and accuracy is what IL2 is all about.
not trying to complain just letting issues be known!

VW-IceFire
03-08-2004, 03:09 PM
What are the problems specifically with mapping these birds. They were initially created and mapped by third party community members (the P-38 and P-80 was modeled by Gibbage for instance) so I don't see why it would be hard to create new textures for them.

Infact I'm certain I've seen some floating around already.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

PlaneEater
03-08-2004, 04:22 PM
It's the way the texture coordinates are mapped on the model--for example, the vertical stabilizers on the P-38 are very oddly mapped--there's one texture for one side of both tails, one for the other, and the way they are set up makes it impossible to put squadron or aircraft markings on the outsides of the tails correctly.

Korolov
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
RMutt and me have encountered this problem as well, on the P-38. In the case of lettering, etc. on the booms and verticle stabalizers, we can use the characters:

AHMWTIOVX801

only, since they appear the same even mirrored. Besides, most of the fancy art was on the nose of P-38s anyways, and it's not like everything has to be exactly perfect and spot on.

Gibbage has said that they can't change the P-38 skin because theres no room left to add extra boom textures and tail textures.

http://www.mechmodels.com/images/newsig1.jpg

porcupine1
03-08-2004, 08:54 PM
its not just the mirroring but the twisting some spots on the P-80 are so twisted like the nose, also because of the mapping it is impossible to make the dark glare reducer on the nose. there are spots of the canopy that are shareing mapps with the back of the ac. if you want to paint the front canopy black the back half of the ac most be painted black as well, the list goes on.