PDA

View Full Version : Towing

darkhorizon11
04-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm doing an airborne mission for the night before DDAY. Is it possible to get the C-47 to tow a G-11 glider? If so how? Thanks.

JR_Greenhorn
04-05-2005, 08:55 PM
I can't remember for sure if the C-47 can tow a glider or not. I'm pretty sure the Li-2 can tow a glider.

If you're not sure if a particular planetype can be a glider tug, set up glider mission using a known glider tug (Pe-8, He-111Z, Bf 110G-2). Get the mission functioning properly (glider properly takes off, flies etc.), then switch the plane type of the tug. That way you'll know.

To set up a glider mission, lay out the waypoint of the tug first. Place a ground attack waypoint near where you want the glider to release--you'll fine tune that waypoint later. Next, place one waypoint for the glider, and use the "set" function to set the glider to the first waypoint of the tug. If you want the combination to take off together, both the tug and glider's waypoints will need to be "take off" waypoints.

Now "play" the mission (prefferably with no AI-controlled planes only), and troubleshoot your setup. For me gliders took a while to get the hang of setting up in the FMB, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too difficult. However, it always seems to be frustratingly challenging to get the glider to land where you want ti to. Test and tweak, test and tweak...

In addition, there must be only one plane in the flight of the tug, and only the gliders that particular tug can tow in the glider flight (some tugs can tow one, two, or three gliders). For many glider-and-tug combinations in the mission, you will need to use many different flights, two for each combination.

Tully__
04-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Yes.

You can only place glider/tug pairs in flights of one aircraft.

Place the waypoints for the tug aircraft.

Place one only waypoint for the glider next to the first waypoint for the tug.

On the glider waypoint tab, click the set key and then click the first waypoint for the tug. This should create a green line between glider & tug. You can start in the air or on a runway, but if you start on a runway, only the tug waypoing should be set to Takeoff and the tug should be the last or only aircraft on the runway. Attempting to have a tug/glider combination take off from any other place in line will result in the glider being towed through any aircraft behind in the queue.

The glider will release either:
- at the tug waypoint before a GAttack waypoint; OR
- if there are no GAttack waypoints set for the tug, at the waypoint before the tug landing waypoint.

JR_Greenhorn
04-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Tully, have you had any luck setting the Ground Attack waypoint to a specific target? I can never seem to get the glider to land in the right spot, even if I can get it to release in the proper location.

You'll have to forgive my foggy memory with all this; it's been a while since I've created glider tug missions.

Tully__
04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JR_Greenhorn:
Tully, have you had any luck setting the Ground Attack waypoint to a specific target? I can never seem to get the glider to land in the right spot, even if I can get it to release in the proper location.

You'll have to forgive my foggy memory with all this; it's been a while since I've created glider tug missions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting them to land where you want has always been a trial & error proposition. The last time I actually worked out a detailed landing was pre-FB in the original Sturmovik game and it took me about 3 hours of making waypoint adjustments and test flights to get the glider to land in the right general area 2 out of 3 times.

JR_Greenhorn
04-05-2005, 10:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
Getting them to land where you want has always been a trial & error proposition. The last time I actually worked out a detailed landing was pre-FB in the original Sturmovik game and it took me about 3 hours of making waypoint adjustments and test flights to get the glider to land in the right general area 2 out of 3 times. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds just like my experiences then. No wonder it's been so long since I've worked on a glider tug mission. It sure is satisfying when you get it right, though.

Hopefully BoB will include flyable gliders, or at least allow for them to be added later. That would pretty much take care of the problems.