PDA

View Full Version : Combat Flaps-Why and When?

bmoffa
06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
When and why should the flaps be put into the combat position? I understand take off and landing, but would like to know how and if the combat position is used.

crucislancer
06-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Use them for tighter turns during a pursuit. Just be sure to watch your speed and remember to raise them.

MrMojok
06-20-2007, 07:39 AM
I like to fly the P-51, and short use of combat flaps helps to raise the nose/tighten up the turn up when you need just a *little* bit more to line up a shot. I have flaps mapped to a slider for just this purpose... I can slide 'em out just a few degrees and then back in.

Obviously, you don't want to do it too much, because it bleeds speed.

Bearcat99
06-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Not only that but if you go beyond combat flaps you could jam them depending on your speed. I recomend that you pop them at the beginning or end of a turn.. and then only for a sec or two..

PBNA-Boosher
06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
There are some planes that had automatic flaps, like the F4F, but they went up automatically at certain speeds. The N1K2-J had automatic combat flaps. The one thing I miss with flaps in this game is that the Ki-43 had two buttons on the stick. The first fire button fired the nose MG's. The second fire button lowered the combat flaps. In our game only the first fire button works for the Ki-43.

bmoffa
06-20-2007, 10:00 AM
MrMojok , how did you map your flaps to a slider? They are just single keystrokes.

R_Target
06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
There are some planes that had automatic flaps, like the F4F, but they went up automatically at certain speeds.

F6F is supposed to have them too, that's why Hellcats only had two a two position flap control. They would also pop back out when the plane slows down.

Originally posted by bmoffa:, how did you map your flaps to a slider? They are just single keystrokes.

Look down at the bottom of the controls where you assign HOTAS.

triad773
06-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah I only use them for combat when either the other plane is slower, or some bloke and I are doing a rolling scissors and he's testing our stall speeds http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Stinks when I am in a plane that doesn't have them- I use them fairly often. Now just have to remember to RETRACT them when I'm done.

na85
06-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Is it considered an exploit to use flaps on a slider when flying a spitfire?

neural_dream
06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by na85:
Is it considered an exploit to use flaps on a slider when flying a spitfire?
Funnily no.

stalkervision
06-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by MrMojok:
I like to fly the P-51, and short use of combat flaps helps to raise the nose/tighten up the turn up when you need just a *little* bit more to line up a shot. I have flaps mapped to a slider for just this purpose... I can slide 'em out just a few degrees and then back in.

Obviously, you don't want to do it too much, because it bleeds speed.

got um on your "slder" huh..Ain't we the sneeky one.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

MrMojok
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah man http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But in all fairness, they COULD do this in the Mustang, just drop a couple degrees of flaps. It didn't have just a three-position toggle.

To answer NA85's question up above, some people do consider it an exploit to do this in the Spit. I don't fly the Spit much, but when I do, I'll do the same thing in it. Just label me a cheater.