PDA

View Full Version : Would this game be for me? Newb question

bostonrpgmania
05-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi
I have to confess that I am newb notjust to this PF but flight simulation overall

I have read amazon.com review, PC gamer review and many reviews listed from gamerankings.com

Many complained that manual is not adequate and key mapping hasnt been done.

Some says that to fly from ari carrier you have to remove something but it is not written in the manual

Does that suggest that this game is not for the newb like me?

Where could I get faq, or starter's guide or tutorial for this game?

PS) I am avid gamer (including wargames) but just new to this flight sim...

I have already purchased Pacific fighter.

bostonrpgmania
05-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi
I have to confess that I am newb notjust to this PF but flight simulation overall

I have read amazon.com review, PC gamer review and many reviews listed from gamerankings.com

Many complained that manual is not adequate and key mapping hasnt been done.

Some says that to fly from ari carrier you have to remove something but it is not written in the manual

Does that suggest that this game is not for the newb like me?

Where could I get faq, or starter's guide or tutorial for this game?

PS) I am avid gamer (including wargames) but just new to this flight sim...

I have already purchased Pacific fighter.

jeroenrepk
05-13-2005, 04:57 PM
I am sure you will like it. PF can be play'ed in many diffeculty settings.

Have fun with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

flyingscampi
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Buy IL-2 Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack an expensive joystick, track IR.

Practice for a year, join a squad, play online co-ops and experience gaming immersion unlike anything else you've ever experienced http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-HH-Quazi
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
One thing these forums have are m8's that are willing to help. If you have questions after you start flying PF, just ask. You will find the m8's flying this sim some of the most helpful of any gaming genre. Welcome to the madness. HEHEHE

bostonrpgmania
05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
thanks for advice
Just one simple quick question.
When try to taking off from the field, i pushed i for engine start and then pushed b for the release of brake. but nothing happens! all other keys such as f for flap seems to be working...I applied most recent patch...any clue? thanks

bostonrpgmania
05-13-2005, 05:25 PM
also one more question
I found FB but not the ace expansion
If I have FB alone, can I still install PF in the combination mode without ace expansion pack?

If I install in combination mode, can I play all missions in FB with better graphics of PF?

bostonrpgmania
05-13-2005, 05:27 PM
BTW, what is m8? maybe a stupid question from newb http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
05-13-2005, 05:30 PM
The merged install can only be done when you have FB+AEP and then merged with PF.

Yes, all content playable on FB works with the enhacements of PF...thats the beauty of it.

Yes, some keys aren't mapped right off the bat and you need to go in and map them yourself but I find this isn't all that bad. Some of the crucial ones should have been done (like "Release chocks" which is needed to get going on an aircraft carrier). But ANYONE with a joystick and a little while to learn can get underway. Be realistic and take your time learning...learn one aspect and then move along. I took a year before I even started working with the level bombing and that sort of thing.

Chuck_Older
05-13-2005, 07:17 PM
double post

Chuck_Older
05-13-2005, 07:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bostonrpgmania:
thanks for advice
When try to taking off from the field, i pushed i for engine start and then pushed b for the release of brake. but nothing happens! all other keys such as f for flap seems to be working...I applied most recent patch...any clue? thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you on a field, or on an aircraft carrier? if on an aircraft carrier, you must remove chocks

"m8" is an easy one.

Say "emmm-eight" and it sounds like "mate"- a friend

Where in Boston are you? I'm in Forest Hills, in Jamaica Plain http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

bostonrpgmania
05-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Oh thanks

I was in boston
but now I am in Edmonton
planning to move to Seoul in one or two years
nomad...lol

Oh mapping..Thanks I will figure it out
I have read about it

HotelBushranger
05-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Go to places like www.airwarfare.com (http://www.airwarfare.com) and they have loads of different things to help you get underway, skins, tutorials, campaigns, everything.
Trust me, you will really love PF http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

jarink
05-13-2005, 09:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I found FB but not the ace expansion </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Incredibly, I saw the original IL2 on sale ($9.98) earlier tonight at Wal-Mart! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I should have bought it just for nostalgia, but bought my son a Star Wars figure instead.

fordfan25
05-13-2005, 10:03 PM
you may have to shop around for aep. iv seen both FB as well as PF but rarely see aep. maby there is a site you can order it from or a pay download thing.

JunkoIfurita
05-13-2005, 11:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bostonrpgmania:
thanks for advice
When try to taking off from the field, i pushed i for engine start and then pushed b for the release of brake. but nothing happens! all other keys such as f for flap seems to be working...I applied most recent patch...any clue? thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif This may seem a bit daft, but have you tried increasing the throttle? Aircraft carrier take-offs are different, but from a field the normal procedure is as follows

1. Start your engine (i by default for single engine fighters)
2. Lower your flaps to the 'take-off' position. If you're in a fighter with only 'landing' and 'up', then technically you shouldn't lower them at all, but it's your choice.
3. This next step you only need if you fly 'full-real' with externals off. HOLD DOWN the brake key (it's not on/off), put the throttle up to 30% with rudder full left, or full right. This will cause you to turn on the spot: pull the throttle off quickly and now you can look out the side of your cockpit and figure out who's in front of you. If you're not flying full-real, just hit F2.
3. Time to take off. Most aircraft you can just hit the throttle up to 100%, and push the stick foward (nose down). Be careful however. You want to get your nose down quickly, as you're stable that way, but some aircraft will nose over (roll over on the runway) if you push the nose down too rapidly. Some aircraft (ones that 'dance' or wobble on their wheels through take-off) benefit from the '30-60-100' approach. Ease the throttle to 30% with the stick pulled BACK, until you start moving. Now slowly ease the throttle up to 60% pushing the nose foward. Once your tail is in the air, you're now free to ease the throttle up to 100%. This method allows you to counter for torque of the motor much more easily - sometimes in a crosswind, the combination of torque and wind will push you sideways off the strip before you can counter with rudder.

There are other steps for full-real engine management too, for a smooth takeoff, but these basics oughta get you started nicely.

A bit of a plug - but if you buy the Gold Pack (Forgotten Battles and Aces Expansion), there are a series of 'training tracks' installed that go through the basics of taking off, landing, gunnery and ground attack.

----

bostonrpgmania
05-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks Junko
Yes I put throttle at full max status
I think it is realted to the take off from air carrier and I have to remove chain (?) first I guess according to the advice above
I will try to find that key
THank you all for your help for this novice aviator!

F4U_Flyer
05-14-2005, 12:38 AM
You have to map a key for chocks to be able to take off from a carrier. Also i think default engine start is e , not i.

I have seen fb , aep and pf all at electronics boutique / eb games for very good prices.

Good luck and welcome to the asylum....er community! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

bostonrpgmania
05-14-2005, 02:07 AM
lol F4U

it is always a pleasure to visit niche market forum since it seems there are always devoted fans!
I mapped chocks and took off!
(but still my B key (default for break) is not working on air carrier. Any reason?

FoolTrottel
05-14-2005, 02:33 AM
"but still my B key (default for break) is not working on air carrier. Any reason?"

Hi,

As in they do work on an airfield/airstrip?

The B key is not a 'toggle'.
Brakes are applied at the moment you press the B key, and released at the moment you release the B key.
They work like the brake pedal in a car, not like the handbrake!

Have fun!

bostonrpgmania
05-14-2005, 10:22 AM
oh I see
Thanks Fooltrottle!