PDA

View Full Version : Japanese "Type 91" torpedo not damage over aircraft carrier

Dr_shang
10-26-2004, 02:57 PM
4 direct hit of "Type 91" torpedo of G4M "Betty" IA over class "Lexington" carrier no smoke, no fire, no damage:

4 direct impact over class "Lexington" carrier (http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?foroid=487815&temaid=2783575)

:eek

Tater-SW-
10-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Whatever the threshhold for smoking is, they need to make it lower, I bet. Just for a sense of damage, smoke is great.

tater

BlitzPig_Frat
10-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Ever heard of a torpedo belt? Look at all the capital ships, right at the water line. Then notice two thirds of the ship has an extra layer of armor running along said water line. Aim for the stern and or bow and you'll see a differance....

LEXX_Luthor
10-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Not so sure. I once tried He~111 torpedo runs and the torpedoes didn't do any damage against the Marat while IL~2 and IL~4 launched could sink it. I never messed with torpedoes again. I guess that's one reason I don't care about the torpedo issue in FB/FP...in a way, its historically correct when thinking about Ussian torpedoes in the WAR. They didn't work, FB torpedoes didn't work. la la la

VW-IceFire
10-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Well...the Tirpitz in AEP can take 8 or 9 or even 10 torpedo hits before going under so I suspect that the carriers are probably also similarly tough.

Maximus_G
10-26-2004, 08:13 PM
There is a possibility of bug, which appears in the fact (though not thorouthly tested) that torpedoes belonging to the plane which has been shot down do not make any harm any more.

actionhank1786
10-27-2004, 02:04 AM
someone set up a flight of 20 torpedo bombers and hit the thing already. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rodion_zero
10-27-2004, 02:12 AM
The BB's at Ford Island seem to sink only after 2-3 torps from Kates so maybe there's a bug somewhere in the case of unsinkable ships.

-RODION

McCallaway
10-27-2004, 02:21 AM
Well, while we're talking about that, I tried to sink a carrier too last night.

8 * TBM (1 torp each) + 8 * SBD (3 500kg each).
vs
1 * Akagi

DCA is impressive, but I manage to hit the ship :
at least 5 out of the 8 torpedoes impact the front of the ship. No apparent damages, all guns continue to fire, no smoke.

Then the dive bombers attack, 1 or 2 bombs on the deck, and let's say 5 more impacting in the immediate vicinity of the ship. Still nothing.

4 planes made it back to the mother ship, and two more ditched in the water near her, while the target continued to steam. No loss of speed, no smoke, all guns up and ready.

What do you think of that ?

Ankanor
10-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Maybe, May be!!!

maybe she IS sinking, but not so fast. I hope it is so. Yet, it looks like a "shot down no damage" bug to me.

Ruy Horta
10-27-2004, 05:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlitzPig_Frat:
Ever heard of a torpedo belt? Look at all the capital ships, right at the water line. Then notice two thirds of the ship has an extra layer of armor running along said water line. Aim for the stern and or bow and you'll see a differance.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carriers are more similar to heavy cruisers and Battle cruisers, they trade armor for speed, since they do not plan to slug it out.

Four torpedoes on one side of a WW2 carrier would seriously risk her survival.

Don't let the size of a carrier fool you in that regard.