PDA

View Full Version : Bass guitar vs bass downloadable content

MASTERHOLMES
11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't play bass guitar but I would think that you guys would prefer a 50 song game devoted to bass guitar rather then an offering of say 2 to 4 songs...
i mean wouldnt' you like to buy basssmith yes ?

zarlorz
11-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Speaking for myself, that would depend. If it cost more to buy the entire game (in a new "Bass" package) rather than paying for the songs I wanted separately then I'd definitely rather just buy the addition of the bass charts. Let's face it, the game looks like it should already support bass charts right out of the box (I can say for certain that the Amp functions and even the tuner, to some extent, will work with a bass in Rocksmith as it is right now.) So it seems to me a "BassSmith" game would probably be a waste of resources and end up costing more to produce than simply adding bass charts into RockSmith.

Funk-n-Stein
11-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by MASTERHOLMES:
I don't play bass guitar but I would think that you guys would prefer a 50 song game devoted to bass guitar rather then an offering of say 2 to 4 songs...
i mean wouldnt' you like to buy basssmith yes ?

I would prefer it as bass DLC for rocksmith. That way a guitar and bass can play together. Also, there is typically only one bass part per song, so how would you do multiplayer?

rhinokio
11-01-2011, 10:16 AM
only thing about bass that i think would be tricky is they would have to make new bass dedicate lessons and markers, for stuff like slap bass and other bass techniques that are not used on guitar.

also while 99% of all rock music is a six string guitar. bass guitar is all over the place, 4-5-6 string bass are all common. i would say 4 string is a bit more common, specialy in older stuff. also fretless basses are fairly common.

but all those issues aside i look foreward to bass suport, i'll have to go buy me another bass, got rid of my old one years ago when i started playin guit

bdasource
11-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I am able to play both electric bass and guitar so I really see no reason Ubi shouldnt have both DLC and a BassSmith game title as options. just makes sense to me.

Guyver280z
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
NEEDS a bass DLC.

Nothing like learning the guitar while playing the bass with your friend.

It should be a bass option, let's hope they make it available soon to download.

muzac989
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
The developers have already stated that when the bass dlc upgrade is released it'll open up bass parts for the songs that are already on the disc.

raynebc
11-02-2011, 12:08 AM
What about DLC? Have they indicated that existing DLC will retro-actively get bass parts?

Schweddy_Balls
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I would purchase this as an expansion pack of some sort as well, but hope there is a Bass Pack that we can purchase as DLC allowing bass in all current and future songs.

Pancho X1
11-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Schweddy_Balls:
I would purchase this as an expansion pack of some sort as well, but hope there is a Bass Pack that we can purchase as DLC allowing bass in all current and future songs.

One of the guys at the Gaming vault who tested the game at Ubisoft, San Francisco said that several of the current, on disc songs already had the bass portions in them. I would assume that if and when the dlc for bass is available, that it would unlock that. I assume that most if not all the songs currently out will have bass support when the time comes. Hope I'm right!

CGT-Fbrum-39
11-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Schweddy_Balls:
Me too!

Sonic2343
04-28-2012, 07:40 PM
so are you able to use a bass guitar on the game rocksmith thank you

Steel_Nirvana
04-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Not yet, but they're working on the bass expansion. I think we're expecting it some time this summer or fall.

Jokco
04-28-2012, 10:13 PM
My roommates dying to see this come out. Gonna be sweet, guitar and bass working together. Assuming it ever comes out.

ravenreaver
04-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Personally, I'd just like the full on bass expansion. I wouldn't mind having to pay for it, but if they're going to do that I would prefer being forewarned so I can save up for the many months that will be needed to purchase it (If it's $60 that is.) I'd definitely prefer it being free or cheaper than that though, after all I'll definitely be purchasing DLC once the bass comes out =D

C.Linton
04-29-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure one of the devs/mods said here that it would be DLC and not a full on expansion or a separate game. If they indeed had planned from the beginning to include bass support (which is how it appears to be) then they maybe would have included the base code for that from the very beginning, and it will probably take only a small program to unlock the bass portion. That's purely a guess though. Regardless, I think it will be a basic DLC that won't cost the equivalent of a whole new game.

Pancho X1
04-29-2012, 07:58 PM
If you're in Europe, the Bass portion will be on disc when the game lauches over there next fall.

toymachinesh
04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hOaxY.png

tomdarch
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
It seems like the big question is: When they worked out the licensing for the songs on the disk and the DLC, did that license include the rights to later release bass for those tracks? If they do have the rights to release bass content for those songs, then it will be easy/inexpensive for them to release a bunch of bass content, once they have the technical and interface stuff worked out. But if they have to spend a bunch of time and lawyer's fees to negotiate the rights to release bass versions, then we're going to see a lot less content and for a lot more money.

My hope is that when bass support comes out, we all get bass for at least 10 or 15 songs from the disk for free (ideally ALL the songs on the disk, and bass for all the DLC songs we've purchased so far). I'll cough up some money to buy a good selection of bass tracks if I have to, but I hope it isn't too much.

ravenreaver
04-29-2012, 11:30 PM
It seems like the big question is: When they worked out the licensing for the songs on the disk and the DLC, did that license include the rights to later release bass for those tracks? If they do have the rights to release bass content for those songs, then it will be easy/inexpensive for them to release a bunch of bass content, once they have the technical and interface stuff worked out. But if they have to spend a bunch of time and lawyer's fees to negotiate the rights to release bass versions, then we're going to see a lot less content and for a lot more money.

My hope is that when bass support comes out, we all get bass for at least 10 or 15 songs from the disk for free (ideally ALL the songs on the disk, and bass for all the DLC songs we've purchased so far). I'll cough up some money to buy a good selection of bass tracks if I have to, but I hope it isn't too much.

Ideally, I'd hope they purchased all the rights to do the bass stuff from the get go.

If we do get all the songs on the disc as bass tracks I'll be stoked though =D after all it's what I purchased it for personally. If in the end I have to purchase individual bass songs and get none with the bass content I'll be drastically peeved due to being forced to purchase the only content that I made the initial investment for. But as they say everything is more expensive for a bassist xD

C.Linton
04-30-2012, 02:10 AM
From my understanding, having the right to use a song includes each and every part of the song, you don't separate the bass part from the guitar part, etc. If Ubisoft has the rights to use a song they autommatically have the rights to the bass parts already, no need to get the rights 'Again' just so they can add bass support. The only delay right now is likley all technical, not legal (i.e. "how" to do it, not "are we allowed" to do it.) Bass support should be available for every song that Ubi has bought the rights to so far.

Steel_Nirvana
04-30-2012, 02:52 AM
My guess is it wasn't included originally because something critical fell behind schedule or needed polishing. Or a smart person could've said, "Wait, why not use this as an expansion and increase revenue?" Either way, it should be cool for those who play.

rockabillybaby
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes. That is all.

joethecatm9
05-01-2012, 02:08 AM
I wonder if they have considered offering it as either DLC and/or as a Disc option with an additional Cord. As many people would like to play together as Guitar and Bass

TheOldWolf
05-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Rocksmith
June 19, 2011 at 9:05am
Any chance of bass guitar parts in it. my son is trying to learn the guitar I like the bass. Would make things a bit easier if we were able to use rocksmith together for that.
Shane Bierwith Not yet. We are currently just working on guitar to make sure we get it absolutely perfect. Bass will be a very natural progression, though, so should come soon after release.
June 19, 2011 at 10:20am Like

Only edit I made to this was to delete my name. I think there may be a difference of opinions on the definition of soon. :) So yes even before the release bass was an idea they had and I believe they had the idea to add drums and vocals at some point as well even back than hence rocksmith versus guitarsmith.

WickedBadz
05-01-2012, 05:33 AM
They said this about bass on Twitter

Nao Higo‏
@PikminGuts92 That's the plan. When you upgrade to the bass pack, all released songs on-disc and DLC will have bass arrangements.
@kitlerc @PikminGuts92 We're still working out the final price, but we want to make sure that it's reasonable.
@kitlerc @PikminGuts92 Yes, it will be a paid upgrade. Gotta keep the lights on! :)
@Beavisn****ers It's coming out in the fall. Exact date will be announced before E3.
@kitlerc @pikminguts92 The arrangements are made for 4-string basses, but you can use 5 or 6-string basses.
@kitlerc @pikminguts92 You won't need to use the low string(s) with the 5/6-string basses for our arrangements tho.

C.Linton
05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
And that is pretty much as I expected it would be, Thanks for that WickedBadz.

Doom-878
05-01-2012, 01:41 PM
They said this about bass on Twitter

Nao Higo‏
@PikminGuts92 That's the plan. When you upgrade to the bass pack, all released songs on-disc and DLC will have bass arrangements.
@kitlerc @PikminGuts92 We're still working out the final price, but we want to make sure that it's reasonable.
@kitlerc @PikminGuts92 Yes, it will be a paid upgrade. Gotta keep the lights on! :)
@Beavisn****ers It's coming out in the fall. Exact date will be announced before E3.
@kitlerc @pikminguts92 The arrangements are made for 4-string basses, but you can use 5 or 6-string basses.
@kitlerc @pikminguts92 You won't need to use the low string(s) with the 5/6-string basses for our arrangements tho.

I actually asked him the last two questions and Nao said that there will be bass tones to be used in Amp mode. I'm @eddie878 :)

C.Linton
05-02-2012, 03:33 AM
I would think that's a given, tnat they will have to add new bass amp and effects models specific to bass. it would be awesome being able to play an EB-3 thru a Marshall Bass stack like Jack Bruce had with Cream.

ravenreaver
05-02-2012, 04:53 AM
I would think that's a given, tnat they will have to add new bass amp and effects models specific to bass. it would be awesome being able to play an EB-3 thru a Marshall Bass stack like Jack Bruce had with Cream.

I'd definitely agree with that. By the sound of it at least it's full on bass support for at least everything outside of the minigames. I'm not certain if they'll even add bass support for all of the minigames if they have it at all. After all Dawn of the Chordead is nearly useless on a bass. Sure, the shapes can be used like arpeggios for raking and such but actual chords sound muddy when played on a bass until around the 9th fret if I remember correctly and aren't particularly useful in rock as a general rule.

C.Linton
05-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, chords are used in bass, but rarely so, and as you say, if played on the "wrong" part of the neck can sound muddy and unfocussed. The only mini-games I coulfd see would be those involving scales and techniques like hammer-ons and pull-offs, bends and vibrato not so much. Again, used on bass, (personally I use bends and vibrato on bass all the time, but, that's just me) but not as much as on guitar.

rockabillybaby
05-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, chords are used in bass, but rarely so, and as you say, if played on the "wrong" part of the neck can sound muddy and unfocussed. The only mini-games I coulfd see would be those involving scales and techniques like hammer-ons and pull-offs, bends and vibrato not so much. Again, used on bass, (personally I use bends and vibrato on bass all the time, but, that's just me) but not as much as on guitar.
Two words : SLAP BASS. :D

Pancho X1
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM

+1!

C.Linton
05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
ight ti

I Hate slap bass.
Well, let me clarify that. I don't hate the technique, used appropriately in the right place at the right time in a song can be great, but I hate how so many bassists seem to think that's how you have to play all the time, every time in order to impress people. It's not the technique that's bad, it's that there's way too many slap-wankers around that overuse it to death, (basically a bunch of show-offs saying "Hey look at me and how cool I am slapping the **** outta this bass") and it gets old real fast.

mbarsott
05-02-2012, 05:16 PM
The developers have already stated that when the bass dlc upgrade is released it'll open up bass parts for the songs that are already on the disc.

Wow! Trying not to sound too Snow Whity, but "that's a dream come true".Two things were needed to make bass dlc great: bass arrangements for existing songs on the disc and multiplayer allowing bass and guitar playing together. That would make the DLC really worth it!

ravenreaver
05-02-2012, 05:31 PM

I too use bends as much as possible, but it's more for the exercise than the fact that I can use them properly to be honest. Though bassists like Billy Sheehan use bends and neck bends a lot when improvising live. Hammer-ons and pull offs are just ridiculous to do on a bass but it's the main thing I practice on days when I don't have a lot of time, it's mostly a big dexterity program that I do. They're far too faint in my opinion to be useful in any real playing though.

I Hate slap bass.
Well, let me clarify that. I don't hate the technique, used appropriately in the right place at the right time in a song can be great, but I hate how so many bassists seem to think that's how you have to play all the time, every time in order to impress people. It's not the technique that's bad, it's that there's way too many slap-wankers around that overuse it to death, (basically a bunch of show-offs saying "Hey look at me and how cool I am slapping the **** outta this bass") and it gets old real fast.

I'd have to agree with you there. Slap bass, while it sounds wondrous, is really one of the most annoying and snobbish techniques in the World of Basscraft so to speak. Bands like The Red Hot Chilli Peppers use it well, but I've yet to come across someone improvising in a store who wasn't over doing it, as far as my taste goes at least. That being said I can't slap to save my life so I'm also jealous of these people <.< Then again my bass is set up with the action far too low to get a good slap sound from, or so I've been told.

C.Linton
05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Well, IME, hammer-ons and pull-offs are used pretty much all the time on the bass, as much as in guitar.

rockabillybaby
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
ight ti

I Hate slap bass.
Well, let me clarify that. I don't hate the technique, used appropriately in the right place at the right time in a song can be great, but I hate how so many bassists seem to think that's how you have to play all the time, every time in order to impress people. It's not the technique that's bad, it's that there's way too many slap-wankers around that overuse it to death, (basically a bunch of show-offs saying "Hey look at me and how cool I am slapping the **** outta this bass") and it gets old real fast.Lol it is sad that many bassists think it's a way of life. but it is just one technique to feature on any game with bass tutorials.

rockabillybaby
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM
That's funny I haven't heard that and I work for Ubisoft.

toymachinesh
05-02-2012, 09:31 PM
you should follow @naohigo on twitter :)

rockabillybaby
05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
you should follow @naohigo on twitter :)
i don't do that twitter thing...yes i am under 30...

toymachinesh
05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
you don't have to be on twitter to look at twitter

Anthonion
05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I love to play guitar and bass (http://ratdownload.com/guitar-and-bass-ear-trainer-15-exe-8067) :) I especially love play good old hard rock :)

rockabillybaby
05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
i mean wouldnt' you like to buy basssmith yes ? as of right now I keep hearing via twitter that it's just the downloads vs a real game...
(took toys suggestion obviously.)

ravenreaver
05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
i don't do that twitter thing...yes i am under 30...

I'm sorry but twitter is just a bad forum without half the frills and no good organization. I won't use it for more than what I have to, and Rocksmith updates aren't something I'm willing to dig through hundreds of tweets for.

rockabillybaby
05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry but twitter is just a bad forum without half the frills and no good organization. I won't use it for more than what I have to, and Rocksmith updates aren't something I'm willing to dig through hundreds of tweets for.
That's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

ravenreaver
05-14-2012, 08:32 PM
That's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing.

Remember the days when companies/devs actually used their forums for product updates and important announcement? Ahh.... how I relish those throwback days =D

Steel_Nirvana
05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
I wish they'd put the development announcements out via the RS feed rather than the by-name feeds for the devs. I'm willing to follow the official account, but not every employee of the company.

coachfletch
05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
please bring out a bass specific version rather than just DLC for the original

coachfletch
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
bass devoted game please!!

as of right now I keep hearing via twitter that it's just the downloads vs a real game...
(took toys suggestion obviously.)

C.Linton
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
please bring out a bass specific version rather than just DLC for the original

All evidence points to it being DLC, which I personally would prefer anyway. Why spend another 60 + bucks if I don't have to.

raynebc
05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Why would it be better for them to sell a separate game just for just bass? It wouldn't allow guitar+bass multiplayer, the overwhelming majority of people that have the game wouldn't be interested in buying the game again (for what should be DLC) and it would mostly just annoy the user base and make them move to alternatives like Rock Band 3 and Bandfuse (when it comes out).

C.Linton
05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Thats' what I was hoping for, bass/guitar multiplayer. I know a guy just starting on bass (I sold him mt SX bass to get him started), and for all purposes I'm sortaastarting out on guitra, I would love to be able to invite him over to play, him on bass, me on guitar.He has already expressed interest in Rocksmith since I told him about the Bass DLC. Again, I prefer it be a DLC than a seperate game. It makes much more sense to me.