PDA

View Full Version : Anisotropic Filtering and PF

AlmightyTallest
11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if Anisotropic filtering really does anything in PF.

I have a BFG 5900 128MB and no matter if I turn AF off or have it at 8x I really am not seeing any differences.

Can anyone set me straight on this matter? Anyone have any screenshots of the same scene in PF with and without Ansiotropic filtering enabled?

Just curious about this.

Charlie901
11-11-2004, 11:39 PM
I personally have turned of AF completely on my 6800GT and have never missed it!

I really gave up caring whether the writing on the outside of my A/C was sharper or blurrier cause I'm inside the pit trying to stay alive most of the time.

Maybe I'll enable it again if I even stop having fun flying and just want to take some screen shots.

Troll2k
11-11-2004, 11:54 PM
According to Hunter82's tips and tweeks.Turn it off.It is not needed on 128 meg cards.

See here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=4501076732

Mon Pavion
11-11-2004, 11:55 PM
I notice a BIG difference with it on or off. Off all the edges look very crisp and straight, not very realistic looking. Where as on, edges look kinda rough and a little more seamless.

But it really takes a chunk out of performance

cueceleches
11-12-2004, 01:34 AM
I got an 9800XT and have turn it off. It is a real FPS hog, and still see no quality difference at all.

Alexi_Alx_Anova
11-12-2004, 01:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troll2k:
According to Hunter82's tips and tweeks.Turn it off.It is not needed on 128 meg cards.

See here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=4501076732 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've misinterpreted Hunter's post Troll. He was talking about S3TC compression.

My experience with a BFG 6800GT is that with anositropic turned off, the IQ is noticably blurrier. However, I can't really notice any improvement in IQ from 2XAF to 4XAF. With my rig, there is no FPS hit for using 2XAF compared to none, but there is some hit for using 4XAF. Hence, I use 2XAF: Gives me same FPS as no AF and sharper image.

Alexi

JG51Beolke
11-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Anisotropic filtering joins and blends all the seems of details between tiles within the game. It gives a more textured environment to the landscape. Try this as an experiment. Set it to Trilinear filtering and then look down the runway or the far landscape at altitude. You will see the seems for each tile of landscape. Then change to anisitropic filtering and look down the runway or landscape. You will see one seemless and blended strip of land with better texturing. There is no fps difference at all between trilinear or 2x anisotropic filtering. And 2x looks darn great!!! You will see a fps hit with 4x however, and in my opinion, 4x is not neccessary.

Regards.

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2004, 07:44 AM
I thought it to be stated in a post quite a while ago, that il2 does not have AA or aniso instructions in game.
so with the card properties set to application preferred or it's equivalent set to on, the card would not receive any from game instructions, making the screen look like ****, where as with the application prefered checkbox unticked, the card would do it's own AA and Aniso work, regardless of whether instructions were received or not

Brock.Landers
11-12-2004, 07:46 AM
It's "horses for courses" as we (bizarrely, now I come to think about it) say in the UK. I prefer no aniso but a healthy 4X AA because I really dislike jaggies. I'll try a few framerate tests with Trilinear vs AFx2 though Beolke because I just assumed it went Bilinear > Trilinear > Anisotropic x2 > Anisotropic x4 etc in order of graphics card load.

AlmightyTallest
11-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it.

Still a bit confused though. Should I enable Anisotropic filtering within the game? At the setup screen?

It gives the option of bilinear, Trilinier, and anistropic. So I should just go for anistropic then in game?

External of the game, I guess I'll run 2xQuincux anti aliasing. I ordered a BFG 6800 Ultra, perhaps when I get it I can crank the AA and AF up a bit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

clint-ruin
11-12-2004, 06:25 PM
There should be very very small gains with bilinear as opposed to trilinear. Not much extra texture work for anything past a geforce4/8500 style card anyhow - the best you should get out of it is a fraction less memory usage on the card.

KarmaT0Burn
11-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Tallest, in the IL2 setup you'll not want to use the anisiotropic filtering. Use tri or bi and refer to what clint just said. Use your video cards control panel to add in AF or AA as desired.

AlmightyTallest
11-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Gotcha guys, thanks for the clarification. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif