PDA

View Full Version : Corsair in the drink

duffys_tavern
12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Was circling above the Saratoga, watching the F4U-1Cs attempt to takeoff with Napalm, (for some reason the load-out screen requires a drop tank when you carry napalm), one by one they dropped into the drink. Only the last two managed to stay airborne. I'm running version 3.01, haven't the nerve to try 3.02 yet. Does anyone know if 3.02 will fix this problem?

Korbelz
12-09-2004, 02:29 PM
the prob. is the weight of the tanks...take the tanks off.

but on a side note on a static carrier you can do the "sling-shot" take-off that gives 30-40 extra kp/h for take-off, or you can swap speed for a bombload. I'm sure someone has posted direction on the sling-shot take-off here..just do a search for it.

stansdds
12-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Each full drop tank weighs a little over 1000 pounds, so weight is the issue here.

Mence
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Set the carriers to 63kph.

x__CRASH__x
12-09-2004, 09:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Korbelz:
I'm sure someone has posted direction on the sling-shot take-off here..just do a search for it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did. No matches found.

So lets hear those directions!

Korbelz
12-11-2004, 12:50 PM
deleted due to amount of hate mail i've been getting for it..

Korbelz
12-11-2004, 12:53 PM

BuzzU
12-11-2004, 01:01 PM
This is so unrealistic. Oleg needs to fix this problem if we're down to using this method of taking off. We should be able to take off just like the real planes did.

Korbelz
12-11-2004, 06:29 PM
ran some more tests...seems most a/c can handle full power before the turn. helped quite a bit being able to full rev the engine and let it sit for about 3 seconds before starting the 180.

off the brit carrier: got a full fuel and payload seafire off the deck, guy the f4f 50% fuel/max payload

off the japan carrier: full fuel/payload val off the deck.

off the american carrier: full fuel/payload hellcat. corsair: 25% 2 tiny tims, and 8 AP rockets, 75% and two naplam(dropped drop tank), 50% with two naplam and 8 rockets

FF_Trozaka
12-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any historical info on the use of napalm by ship bourne aircraft? Is this something they actually did? I had always thought that napalm was something that would have been delivered by land based aircraft?
S!

mortoma
12-12-2004, 08:48 AM
All this sling-shot take off stuff is totally moot if you can't get AI to do it too. Which of course, you can't!! The original poster was trying to get
AI to takeoff with a large load, not takeoff himself. Let us know when you train the AI how to do it (LOL).

Korbelz
12-12-2004, 12:34 PM
deleted for same reason as above

TonyPiech
12-12-2004, 02:55 PM
I found that I could get-off the carrier with napalm and drop-tanks by jettisoning the drop-tanks while spooling-up the engine to full-WEP. When jettisoning the drop-tanks while on the carrier deck, they just drop-off and disappear, no explosions. Your plane looses the added weight and off you go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Probably a "little-bug" in PF, but hitting [Ctrl-T] and dropping the tanks while on the carrier causes no explosion or damage.

Oilburner_TAW
12-12-2004, 03:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TonyPiech:
I found that I could get-off the carrier with napalm and drop-tanks by jettisoning the drop-tanks while spooling-up the engine to full-WEP. When jettisoning the drop-tanks while on the carrier deck, they just drop-off and disappear, no explosions. Your plane looses the added weight and off you go. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Probably a "little-bug" in PF, but hitting [Ctrl-T] and dropping the tanks while on the carrier causes no explosion or damage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's what I've been doing to get the loadout I want..

WB_Outlaw
12-12-2004, 05:44 PM
If you're not moving, I wouldn't think that dropping the tanks on the deck would cause an explosion. If they were that weak, they couldn't even stand the aerodynamic forces of flight. Of course, at some point down the deck they would probably break up and sometimes ignite.

-Outlaw.

duffys_tavern
12-12-2004, 08:28 PM
We need a way to get these birds off the deck without tricks or gimmicks. More prototypical.

Mence
12-13-2004, 07:47 AM
Full load=Carrier needs to be at full speed or 63kph(30mph), human or AI.

Gawwad
12-13-2004, 10:21 AM
The tank just drop through the deck and splash in to the water...

Korbelz
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
yesterday i watched a friend take-off with a corsair with 2,000lbs of bombs...on a dogfight server(static carrier)..he also did a nearly straight take-off..so yes even going straight up the deck you can get off with quite a bit of load.

mind you the AI would never be able to do it..but you should not ever have to worry about the AI and a static carrier since they are only in single missions and co-ops