PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Wanted Tactic?

zain_mastron
01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Last night I was playing Wanted and came across a player who had an interesting tactic. I'll call them the Priest as that was the character they were playing.

So Priest got into the lead quite early and quickly with approximately 2000 points. From here, Priest's tactic was to stand on the rooftops, usually in the corner of the map (Rome this particular time). From here, Priest could see every one climbing up the walls to come and kill him. So what he would do is wait and smoke bomb, then stun.

I noticed this quickly, so next time I waited for someone else to start climbing up to attack him and wait for the smoke bomb to go off. Of course then Priest just sprinted away, resulting in a chase and 100 points.

The annoying part was that because the Priest was 1st, he has at least 2 to 3 other assassin's trying to kill him as well. So once or twice when I inevitably was given the Priest as my target, I killed the nearest NPC to reset my target. And this target always ended up attacking the Priest, so it made it extremely difficult to stalk my target and get decent points from the kill, as my target would be scaling up walls and chasing the Priest.

At first I was angry at the Priest, but then they are only playing the game how it is allowed to be played. So now I was annoyed at the game, not the player. In the end, I was 2nd but the Priest won easily.

The only way around this I could think was to get a target that was not the Priest, wait until they are stunned by him and then kill that target, hoping to do it enough times to overtake the amount of points the Priest would get from stunning people.

So is this the ultimate technique if you get out in front in Wanted? What are other peoples thoughts on this situation?

obliviondoll
01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Watch where he runs after stunning - position yourself in the path he's likely to take next time, and kill him before he gets where he's going.

Or use knives when he's crossing a beam/rope, or in mid-air, he'll fall, and you have your target right next to you.

It's a good tactic when you're not playing against people who know how to counter it. Because most people don't, it works more often than not.

gothpunkboy89
01-04-2011, 06:01 PM
i usually just use my pistol on people who play like that. not to teach them a lesson just to kill them so i can get another target that might be easier to kill for higher points.

that and if he gets targeted fast enough before he can reset himself could end with him getting killed a few times on the ground.

that is generally my respond to people that like to stay on the roofs. whip out pistol shoot them and move on to a non roof top person. by the time i get them again usually pistol is reloaded and rinse and repeat.

StarScream391
01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Do you really want to know the best profile set in Wanted to easily get on the lead and finish the game with 5000+ points? Well since im kind enough to share my secret with you here it is.

Rapid Reload Disguise
Slow Acting Poison
Blender
Overall Cooldowns
+300 Silent Kill Streak
Reset CoolDowns

Hope this helps. Btw look at the first page on the leaderboards for PS3! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Happy hunting.

Lyleator
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Dunno why someone would do this though. You get more points to level up if you run around killing people, and if he's already 50, you dont complete challenges by hiding in the corner (except for Untouchable, maybe...). Winning only, what, 200 points?

:/

E-Zekiel
01-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Lyleator:
Dunno why someone would do this though. You get more points to level up if you run around killing people, and if he's already 50, you dont complete challenges by hiding in the corner (except for Untouchable, maybe...). Winning only, what, 200 points?

:/

Some people play to win. They play their own way, particularly when they hit 50. I try my best to die the fewest and/or not at all. Survival thing for me.

More to the topic - It works for some people. And some people like it. I don't like doing this, but sometimes I do it just to quickly drop a pursuer. One counter is to just wait patiently. Get as close as you can without exposing yourself. If they are near something you can jump off of - use it, it makes their defenses easier to overcome. Or do what i do when someone does that - shoot them.

I don't usually have the gun in wanted though, so I go with the former rather than the latter.

DeanOMiite
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
ive seen people do stupid stuff like this in every game i've played online ever, but they usually lose...i'm disappointed to hear that guy one but if anything that's a testament to the stupidity of all the other players in your game. It's like when I play Halo and someone is like "there's a guy with the sword over there!" and everybody runs into him like they can't wait to die. Either way I'd rest easy knowing that if you see anyone doing that again that they probably won't win.

That being said, i definitely would have used hidden gun against that dude...or hung out near him waiting for my target to come near him and try to kill him and kill them in the process.

tallinn1960
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by zain_mastron:

So is this the ultimate technique if you get out in front in Wanted? What are other peoples thoughts on this situation?

A target camping on the roof and relying on smoke to handle approaching pursuers must learn sooner or later that smoke can be countered by smoke. Equip long lasting smoke to be 100% sure that you win, lock and approach such a guy, when he drops smoke, drop your own, spam X, you win.

Rainie
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
The priest's strategy is similar to mine except I'm on the ground and I don't really run unless my pursuer is chasing me and I have no smoke or mute

zain_mastron
01-05-2011, 04:39 AM
I do the same. Rather try my hand at sticking with moving or stationary groups and stun.

FearlessSpeach
01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Playing defensively is definitely very effective when leading, though roof tops are begging for problems, especially on Rome where there are lifts on every bloody building. I like to hide near the herald at the pantheon. No NPC's wander from the rest of the area up there, so even if you don't have many lures, you see them coming. Best experience there was a double stun -> escape (third pursuer was killed as he ran up by my target) -> incog focus chain. As others have said, roof top kiting is just begging to get shot. Stationary defense also tends to draw your target to you.

Lets be honest though, if you are equipping the gun, I will never respect you and your 100 point kill.

luth411
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
The gun can be used poorly, but it can also be used very skillfuly. It's one of the more difficult abilities to master because of this.

Time your shot for the mid-air bonus to double the points. Use it when your contract is about to be taken down by a competing pursuer for a contract you would have otherwise lost (+50 Poacher). In alliance and manhunt modes, the gun is a great way to take down 2 players without giving them time to react. A 100 point kill can be very smart if your only alternative was to award the contract an escape or another pursuer the kill.

Regarding the "priests" tactics, they are smart. I wouldn't say they're the ultimate strategy. I'm not convinced that there is such a thing in this game's mechanics. In situations where you approach him on level ground (both on the roof), you can try to bait his smoke bomb or go over it from a higher vantage point (chimeny or higher roof) or use knives to keep him close while you skirt the smoke cloud.

There are situations where I will begin to "kite" my pursuers in a large circle around the map. It may not be roof running, but it will have the same effect. I would always wonder why no one has realized to just go the other way around the circle. Sometimes a player wises up and just caps me with the gun. But this will only force me into an enclosed space where I can bottle neck the attackers.

There's a counter for everything! Just have to find it.

DaVe_RoCk_
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
i use smoke bomb and poison first, i go "hunt" my hunter (xD) stun, and then poison my target i usually start with 1100 points after that i kill one more target (700 points) and i let hunter kil me so i can change profile sets i then change to charge and smoke and go defensive as i always have 2+ pursuers =D hope it helps

Valentorg
01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
There's a church in the level San Donato, I think, that has a cross a the very top. Waiting there usually works better than any normal rooftop due to how high up the cross is.
Personally I think it's kind of a boring and cheap strategy to sit on a roof the whole game, but going up there to lose a pursuer or two doesn't seem so bad. As others have said, there are ways to counter this strategy.

luth411
01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Valentorg:
There's a church in the level San Donato, I think, that has a cross a the very top. Waiting there usually works better than any normal rooftop due to how high up the cross is.
Personally I think it's kind of a boring and cheap strategy to sit on a roof the whole game, but going up there to lose a pursuer or two doesn't seem so bad. As others have said, there are ways to counter this strategy.

Yeah this one is sketchy. You're in line of sight from virtually any point on the map. You can win an escape in line of sight.