PDA

View Full Version : Modded, single-point tracking 2-dof can be 4-dof!

Lurch1962
05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Before I installed the mod package (v1.0), my single-point head tracker setup delivered the expected 2 degrees of freedom, namely, pan L-R and up-down. But with 6-dof enabled, that very same single-point tracker allows 4 degrees of freedom. So in addition to the aforementioned panning, I now get lateral translation L-R and up-down.

How was this done? By simply mapping the X and Y axes to *both* panning and translation. This is possible because they are not mutually incompatible.

The only things now missing are longitudinal motion fore-aft and roll (IMHO this latter one is all but useless, really.)

Of course, it goes without saying that panning and translation occur simultaneously in this single-point tracking setup of mine. But I've devised a profile that offers a good balance between the two motions. At least I now enjoy a solution to one of the more vexing problems of the past, in which it was only possible to "look around" the canopy framing by switching the gunsight view on/off (but even this doesn't work for some planes, especially those with telescopic gunsights.)

I mention this for those hold-outs like myself who are still using the very simplest of head tracking gear. In my setup, I have the camera mounted to my headphone band, pointing toward a light bulb fixed in place about 6 feet behind me.

Lurch1962
05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Before I installed the mod package (v1.0), my single-point head tracker setup delivered the expected 2 degrees of freedom, namely, pan L-R and up-down. But with 6-dof enabled, that very same single-point tracker allows 4 degrees of freedom. So in addition to the aforementioned panning, I now get lateral translation L-R and up-down.

How was this done? By simply mapping the X and Y axes to *both* panning and translation. This is possible because they are not mutually incompatible.

The only things now missing are longitudinal motion fore-aft and roll (IMHO this latter one is all but useless, really.)

Of course, it goes without saying that panning and translation occur simultaneously in this single-point tracking setup of mine. But I've devised a profile that offers a good balance between the two motions. At least I now enjoy a solution to one of the more vexing problems of the past, in which it was only possible to "look around" the canopy framing by switching the gunsight view on/off (but even this doesn't work for some planes, especially those with telescopic gunsights.)

I mention this for those hold-outs like myself who are still using the very simplest of head tracking gear. In my setup, I have the camera mounted to my headphone band, pointing toward a light bulb fixed in place about 6 feet behind me.