PDA

View Full Version : Seeking your Opinions on Manning AA Guns

Kaleun1961
10-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I used to use a flak-qualified Petty Officer to man my flak gun[s.] I always make sure to have a flak-qualified officer as part of the bridge watch. When I then crew the AA gun, the efficiency meter above the gun is fully green, indicating full efficiency, or proficiency if you will.

Tinkering with my crew the other night, I noticed something. With my flak-qualified officer on the bridge watch, I put two sailors on the flak guns. The meter went fully green. So, is it necessary to have a flak-trained man on the gun when apparently a regular sailor will do the job? If so, this means I can take that former flak PO and specialize him more effectively elsewhere, like repair or torpedo handling.

On my latest patrol, I let two sailors man the flak guns and they shot down two planes. It seems logical to me to put sailors up top. If they do get killed, they are more easily replaced in the barracks than a highly trained PO.

What do you think?

Kaleun1961
10-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I used to use a flak-qualified Petty Officer to man my flak gun[s.] I always make sure to have a flak-qualified officer as part of the bridge watch. When I then crew the AA gun, the efficiency meter above the gun is fully green, indicating full efficiency, or proficiency if you will.

Tinkering with my crew the other night, I noticed something. With my flak-qualified officer on the bridge watch, I put two sailors on the flak guns. The meter went fully green. So, is it necessary to have a flak-trained man on the gun when apparently a regular sailor will do the job? If so, this means I can take that former flak PO and specialize him more effectively elsewhere, like repair or torpedo handling.

On my latest patrol, I let two sailors man the flak guns and they shot down two planes. It seems logical to me to put sailors up top. If they do get killed, they are more easily replaced in the barracks than a highly trained PO.

What do you think?

rick_475
10-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I think the green bar has nothing to do with precision, from my experience it will only decrease the reloading time. I always assign a petty "flak" officer and make sure I have 2 officers that can influence the flak gun and the big gun (those 2 officers are always assigned as watchman).

If you can get the green bar to full without the petty officer, then why not, assign him to something else.

Kaleun1961
10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
That's what I was wondering about, if flak qualification improved accuracy. Same thing with deck gun too, I guess. I use two officers for watch duties, both having flak as their first qualification.

Fekin_Von_dEtRi
10-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Slightly along the same lines as this thread "in a way" so I didn't bother to start a new one.
When any compartment onboard becomes a full green bar to say it is manned enough, does adding more crew to that compartment really enhance the efficiency of the compartment.

Like the con tower, I have an officer with Watch as the 1st skill and that fills the green bar for efficiency on the conning tower, so adding 3 more petty officers with watchman as theirs also, will that make any difference, or will your ship spotting be better than with just sailors and the watch officer ?

Wyrmo
10-24-2005, 02:59 AM
I noticed that when I had my skilled petty-officer manning the 3.7mm flak instead of one of the 20mm, the reload time of the 3.7 dropped.
At least I percived it that way.
So, maybe the green meter isn't saying all about the flak-efficiency

acetoolguy
10-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Just wondering Kaleun, is the risk/reward even worth duking it out with the RAF? I usally just dive an slink away. Besides...the recoil on that flak gun gives me a headache..

Kaleun1961
10-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Given enough warning, I prefer to dive. Sometimes you don't get a warning and get jumped. It is for those occasions that I wish to be prepared.

JU88
10-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Hmm Well for me it depends on what aircraft are attacking, I will always dive from Liberators, they are tough to take out and their bombs have a wide coverage.
At the moment i have a U flak VIIC/41 in the med, so I dont mind fighting sunderlands, catalinas, or anything smaller since they fall pretty easily with my boats arsenal.

The worst thing for me is getting bombed when running the snorkel during daytime, you get no warning and they hit with pinpoint accuracy, I once got bombed so bad whist snorkeling out of my base at Toulon I had end my patrol and limp back to base on one engine, no scopes and 3 dead crew members.

The snorkel is great otherwise, you can hear ships three times further than you can see them and It allows for some fast submerged speeds, but its best used at night when aircraft attacks are almost zero. As far as daytime goes, its much much safer to be surfaced than snorkeling when aircraft are about.